Super Volley 94 (Power Spikes II) Mission - Check your PSII Cart!

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
We're looking for a Power Spike II cart with a CRC checksum of 8FACDE4C, or at least one that doesn't match the standard PS2 checksum of 105A408F.

I have the P1 rom now. I'm working on securing the M1 & S1 (all that's needed now). I'm working with someone that won't mail the cart or have it desoldered so I sent him my AES system, PC2NEO and MVS converter and he was able to read the P1 for me. Now, I just need to build something for him to read the M1 & S1 and we'll have preserved this game. We'll have it soon enough without the help of that French guy that promised to dump it but never did. So, to the French guy with the cart -- if you're reading this and you want credit, you better get to it. We'll have this soon enough without your help...

Jeff

EDIT: Corrected checksums, sorry, I calculated them on a byte-swapped file.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
We're looking for a Power Spike II cart with a CRC checksum of 97D4290D, or at least one that doesn't match the standard PS2 checksum of AA3829A7.

I have the P1 rom now. I'm working on securing the M1 & S1 (all that's needed now). I'm working with someone that won't mail the cart or have it desoldered so I sent him my AES system, PC2NEO and MVS converter and he was able to read the P1 for me. Now, I just need to build something for him to read the M1 & S1 and we'll have preserved this game. We'll have it soon enough without the help of that French guy that promised to dump it but never did. So, to the French guy with the cart -- if you're reading this and you want credit, you better get to it. We'll have this soon enough without your help...

Jeff

And so the Smackdown is layeth down...

xROTx

PS. Who is the French dude?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I'm not going to post his name here -- at this time. Let's see if he does the right thing.

I'd post the link to the P1, but I know the rules here...

Jeff

And so the Smackdown is layeth down...

xROTx

PS. Who is the French dude?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
OMG that's great! Thanks Jeff and the guy with the cart for the amazing job!

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
We're looking for a Power Spike II cart with a CRC checksum of 97D4290D, or at least one that doesn't match the standard PS2 checksum of AA3829A7.

Jeff

Wow, now thats going above and beyond! Kudos man.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I booted my Power Spikes II with the Japanese region and the intro is the same as the USA region.

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict
Who is the French dude?

I know the guy.
His english is not really good, so even if he stumble upon this post he might not understand its full meaning.
I'll hit him with a translation of jmk's post... But whatever decision he takes i will respect it.

Anyway good that there is another test cart out there... can I ask in what country it is ? Curious on how many where done and where/how they were spred.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I know the guy.
His english is not really good, so even if he stumble upon this post he might not understand its full meaning.
I'll hit him with a translation of jmk's post... But whatever decision he takes i will respect it.

Thanks...

Let us know...

xROTx

PS. Yah... I don't often see Jeff get a tad miffed with a situ... that's why I'd like to know...

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Jeff's just being respectful to the guy, despite the fact that the guy did indeed fail to follow through on what he initially stated he was going to do. But it's no mystery who he is. There's only a few threads here that cover this subject and he posts a few times in one of them. It also shows the progression of where the cart came from, and where it went.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Jeff's just being respectful to the guy, despite the fact that the guy did indeed fail to follow through on what he initially stated he was going to do.

A promise is a promise mofo...

The community is based on a foundation of most members respecting each other enough to help out when they can...

SURE... there's a lot of funstering that goes on... but the core is there...

I don't make you a promise I can't or don't intend to keep... It's like when I promise I will personally bankroll a deal on the markets if it falls through...

Also, it's like if I ask you to shut up in a thread... The promise is that if you don't... i'm not gonna let you off with a nice smile or reacharound...

I am going in DRY on you...

LULZ... be respectful to a guy that doesn't follow through... where do you think you're playing? This aint a Politically correct government party where we have to be nice to everyone mofo....

Rob-R

n00b
I'm the one with the SV'94 Cart

We're looking for a Power Spike II cart with a CRC checksum of 8FACDE4C, or at least one that doesn't match the standard PS2 checksum of 105A408F.

Jeff

EDIT: Corrected checksums, sorry, I calculated them on a byte-swapped file.

I used to be a regular here, but haven't been here for a while (I got old, had kids, etc.) - had to create a new account, but thought I'd post to give what info I have.

Jeff's been on me about SV'94 for so long I can't remember how we got on the subject, but it wasn't until he came up with his current idea (explained in this thread) that I was comfortable given I didn't want anything bad to happen to what is apparently a fairly rare item.

I've got a full collection of MVS games, two Japanese cabinets, and a bunch of other stuff. This just happened to be something I acquired in my attempt to create that full collection. To the best of my research, I purchased the game off eBay on November 5th 2000 for $32.

eBay doesn't archive listings/photos beyond a certain period, but I have the "congrats" email with the following item description:

TESTED WORKING ORGINAL SNK NEO GEO MVS CARTRIDGE POWER SPIKES 2 VOLLEYBALL GAME, JAPANESE CARTRIDGE PLAYS IN ENGLISH WITH ORGINAL MARQUEE,FOR COIN OPERATED GAME SYSTEM. SHIPPING AND HANDLING $4.00 INTERNATIONAL MORE.​

Once Jeff and I began conversing, I sent him a video of the game which he posted a few years ago, and is of my copy playing down in my game room.

Recently Jeff got a lot out of the cart, but we still need more. Additionally, I just sent him a high-rez scan of the spine, and I'll look to see if I have the rest of the artwork as well; my game room flooded 2 years ago, thankfully all of the NG artwork was in a big rubber bin, but I need to dig through it.

As for country/etc., I live in Seattle, WA (Jeff's West Coast reference in the thread). Feel free to ask any questions - happy to help where I can :)

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Welcome back to the forums, Rob, and thanks for sharing the P1.

Jeff

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Picture courtesy of Rob.

PowerSpikesII-SuperVolley'94-Spines_Small.png

Last edited:

Rob-R

n00b
Actually, I was wrong about the cart's provenance - Although close. Jeff helped jog my memory - I bought it on eBay on Nov 4th 2001 (I don't have a JP Power Spikes II cart anymore, so I must have sold the other one) for $35 from the same seller as I bought the PSII cart, this time for $35. Jeff e-mailed me two weeks later asking if I'd trade the cart, so he's literally been hounding me for 15+ years... The original seller was Bill Burger, not sure if he's someone on the Neo scene or simply an amusement purveyor or distributor.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Actually, I was wrong about the cart's provenance - Although close. Jeff helped jog my memory - I bought it on eBay on Nov 4th 2001 (I don't have a JP Power Spikes II cart anymore, so I must have sold the other one) for $35 from the same seller as I bought the PSII cart, this time for $35. Jeff e-mailed me two weeks later asking if I'd trade the cart, so he's literally been hounding me for 15+ years... The original seller was Bill Burger, not sure if he's someone on the Neo scene or simply an amusement purveyor or distributor.

That seller is well known across many arcade forums... just not in a good way. He just buys and sells, nothing more.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I used to be a regular here, but haven't been here for a while (I got old, had kids, etc.) - had to create a new account

Hello...

Can you PM me your old account details please...

Username.
Email.
Date of Birth.

I'd prefer a merging. All these loose accounts upset my sense of tidyness...

xROTx

PS. Thank You for your continued support of the community...

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yup, its great news, thanks for the efforts. Just really need that S1 and M1.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
That seller is well known across many arcade forums... just not in a good way. He just buys and sells, nothing more.

lol Bill Burger is everything that is awesome about the old arcade scene and n-g.com from 10-15+ years ago. Lots of primadonnas on the ol' internets these days and Bill tells them they can shove it the second they start asking questions. He's a throwback to when people didn't take little pieces of plastic and circuit boards so seriously.