Sony to shutter its native PSP store at the end of March

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Of course I just pulled my PSP out of storage a little over a month ago and have had a resurgence of interest in it and now this.

Way late to the party but I picked up The Dracula X Chronicles a few weeks ago.

Been playing a ton of MPE on it too, so fun.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
PSP > Vita

Bold statement. I have been having so much fun with the PSP that I was actually flirting with the idea of getting a Vita. What makes you think that?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
PSP is an amazing system. I stuck with UMDs though.

PSP is better than Vita simply due to genre representation. Vita has almost zero mainstream appeal. It's a wonderful machine for certain niches but PSP has great games in pretty much any genre or style you can think of.

I liked both handhelds last generation better than all the consoles, though.

DS > PSP > Wii > PS3 > 360

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Bold statement. I have been having so much fun with the PSP that I was actually flirting with the idea of getting a Vita. What makes you think that?

what fammi said. I really love the Vita, but PSP has everything. Vita has JRPG's and Indie's that I already own on steam. The pipeline is pretty much JRPG"S and more JRPG's. They are fantastic jRPG's, and the indie games all play really well.

In the end, the PSP has everything I want and then some.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
what fammi said. I really love the Vita, but PSP has everything. Vita has JRPG's and Indie's that I already own on steam. The pipeline is pretty much JRPG"S and more JRPG's. They are fantastic jRPG's, and the indie games all play really well.

In the end, the PSP has everything I want and then some.

I agree, I still use my PSP a ton for easy emulation as well as a lot of good games. Finished Brandish last month and I'm working on Ys 6 now.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The games worth playing on the vita run like crap, PSP has a great library but the D-pad is crap...damn, just can't win with sony handhelds...

Also PS3 and 360 kick the shit out of anything after the SNES.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
PSP is an amazing system. I stuck with UMDs though.

PSP is better than Vita simply due to genre representation. Vita has almost zero mainstream appeal. It's a wonderful machine for certain niches but PSP has great games in pretty much any genre or style you can think of.

I liked both handhelds last generation better than all the consoles, though.

DS > PSP > Wii > PS3 > 360

For the first 18 months or so the Vita did have a pretty diverse lineup. Of course it had a lot of rpg's but it had great mainstream (especially from Sony) stuff like Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, PS All-Stars, Rayman Origins/Legends, Wipeout, etc.
The 3rd party mainstream stuff probably harmed the Vita's rep more than it helped. Black Ops Declassified and Borderlands 2 were so shitty that it turned a lot of people away.

The games worth playing on the vita run like crap, PSP has a great library but the D-pad is crap...damn, just can't win with sony handhelds...

Also PS3 and 360 kick the shit out of anything after the SNES.

Not sure if you have played the Vita or not but I think you would actually like it. I bet you would like Soul Sacrifice a lot.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The games I want are a skip fest though.

UMVC3
DOA5
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1+ & 2+
MK9
SFvsTK

What's soul sacrifice, a from software offshoot?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh...I was really hoping for an excuse to get a vita...bummer...

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Of course I just pulled my PSP out of storage a little over a month ago and have had a resurgence of interest in it and now this.

Way late to the party but I picked up The Dracula X Chronicles a few weeks ago.

Been playing a ton of MPE on it too, so fun.

No biggie...they say you can still access your download list, so just buy from their website and access your download list from the dvice.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
PSP has some excellent JRPGs too (mainly remakes). Lunar, Star Ocean 1+2, etc. Some good classic packs like SNK Classics 1 and 0, Metal Slug Anthology. I like the Vita because of the JRPGs, but most of them are NIS garbage, aren't they? I didn't get it at launch. You can download some cool stuff on the Vita, and its screen is sharper.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
PSP has some excellent JRPGs too (mainly remakes). Lunar, Star Ocean 1+2, etc. Some good classic packs like SNK Classics 1 and 0, Metal Slug Anthology. I like the Vita because of the JRPGs, but most of them are NIS garbage, aren't they? I didn't get it at launch. You can download some cool stuff on the Vita, and its screen is sharper.

They are distributed in the US by NIS, but most of them are not NIS originals.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
also don't forgot that you can transfer DL games from your PS3 to the PSP (or Vita)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I still enjoy my PSP. In my opinion it was better than Vita just because of game selection.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I finally got around to softmodding my PSP-1000 and PSP Go last month. First thing I played was the free homebrew port of Cave Story...and then I loaded up the system with 32gb worth of UMD rips and PS1->PSP conversions. I've always had a solid PSP UMD library of games, but being able to have them all digital for fast swapping is a god-send for getting a quick gaming fix.

Considering how easy it is to softmod now (by far the easiest system, if you aren't past a certain firmware), it kind of makes sense for Sony to shutter the PSP store. Real shame, but that's business for something over a generation ago.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Until I saw this thread I had no idea you could still buy games via the system. :) I need to break out my manly Hannah Montana sparkly purple PSP and get my game on.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So what are the must own PSP download only games that you can not get on Vita?

I have been unable to connect my PSP to the internet for a few years now, I really need to change my router encryption, and get on there for a bit and check out the store.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
So what are the must own PSP download only games that you can not get on Vita?

I have been unable to connect my PSP to the internet for a few years now, I really need to change my router encryption, and get on there for a bit and check out the store.

There's a list somewhere for this. I know at some point I had to snag the Sega Classics on PSP. As it was never released for the Vita. I had an itch for Phantasy Star 2 for some reason (Even though I own multiple copies on devices)