Trying to determine whether an upscaler would help in my situation...

djhwood1

n00b
I'm running an Omega on a 4 year old 42 inch Insignia LCD. I'm running it in a 4:3 custom mode thru component and it is way sharper and much more stable than the composite but it still looks like shit for some reason. I don't know how to describe it but it is "sharp shit." When I bring up the menu screen on my TV and it shrinks the picture to a 7 inch box in the upper right screen it looks awesome in that 7 inch area of the screen if that makes any sense.

Compared to when I used to play my component modded AES on a Sony Wega (If I recall correctly...), it is a nightmare. Would an upscaler such as the frameister solve the issue or would it basically just add scanlines to my "sharp shit" picture? Or is it that my TV just can't handle the conversion of a 240p signal on 42 inches thru component?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes the Framemeister will help but if your TV is giving you a ugly picture it could just be that your TV isn't all that great. I've always preferred plasmas over lcds for retro gaming if you have no space for a crt. On my Samsung plasma I could go straight in with component on my aes and the picture looks pretty good just not as good as rgb scart via Framemeister w/ scanlines.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Could just be the custom mode you mentioned. Try to play with some settings.

djhwood1

n00b
Could just be the custom mode you mentioned. Try to play with some settings.

I have played around a bunch in there and I cant do anything other than "superficially" change the picture. I've tried the "game" setting, I've tried multiple sharpness/brightness/etc, but it is still off.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I ended up picking up a Sony TV from goodwill just for my Neo Geo.

djhwood1

n00b
I ended up picking up a Sony TV from goodwill just for my Neo Geo.

I actually did this as well. I found 27 flatscreen-front Daewoo CRT with component in and the picture looks great. The only issue is a lose a little less than an inch on the left side of the screen regardless of whether I run it thru CRT or SVideo. I recall the same thing happening to my component modded AES years ago thru my Trinitrion... a bit of the left side of the screen is chopped off. Does anyone know why this happens?

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
One of my HDTV's (I'll call it X) supports 240p over component, and in my game room I have my retro consoles hooked to the HDTV (I'll call it Y) in their via an XRGB3 upscaler.

I recently got an Omega and hooked up to X via component. It looked sharp in the sense that pixel edges were clear, but it just doesn't look very good despite that. It was way better than composite, but still not right.
However, my AES in the game room looks amazing on Y via RGB going to the XRGB3.

My speculation is the internal scaler built into X just sucks for 240p sources, but I bet most internal HDTV scalers will compared to something like a XRGB3 or Framemeister

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Avoid those framemeisters if you like to play fighting and shooting games, it adds 24 ms of lag, barely noticeable some may say? no, because even I can notice it, wait a few months and get yourself a "OSSC" line doubler from that finnish guy, it does 4:4:4 processing for the best color conversion,.. instead of the 4:2:2 from the framemeister, or..you can get a first version of the framemeister aka XRGB-1, or XRGB 2 up to 3, just avoid the mini model.

The OSSC is also $200 cheaper.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I actually did this as well. I found 27 flatscreen-front Daewoo CRT with component in and the picture looks great. The only issue is a lose a little less than an inch on the left side of the screen regardless of whether I run it thru CRT or SVideo. I recall the same thing happening to my component modded AES years ago thru my Trinitrion... a bit of the left side of the screen is chopped off. Does anyone know why this happens?

CRT Overscan, typically different for each source. Try to get the service menu codes for your model and adjust the geometry. Be sure to write down the baseline numbers in case you mess it up and wish to revert back.