bandridge manual scart switch - SVID issues?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Gents,

I have a Bandridge Manual 5-way SCART switcher, and the S-Video input on the front has been finnicky. It's always been this way, but I have noticed this more and more.

The issue is that the Scart to HDMI upscaler detects the signal as "SCART AV", however I need to play with the cable for a bit to get it to display as "SCART SVID" and become clearer. If this doe snot occur, the image has artifacts and rainbow-y effects that are distracting. Sometimes there's no picture altogether.

I use the S-Video for N64, Gamecube, and PC Engine mostly, and I have tried several cables that work fine on other TVs but not through this one. I don't have any Tv's that have Svideo inputs directly in them within my house, so its either this or directly connect via composite, which looks like shit.

Anyone else have these issues? What do you do to fix them? I'm about to just RGB mod my N64 just to have it use the same cable as the SNES and avoid this issue, but im sure that won't help the GC and PC Engine issues.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Iirc, scart doesn't have a native Svideo pinout, it's composite converted to svideo. You'd be better off with the RGB mod for all systems.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I agree, I asked voultar here on the forums a long time ago to mod my system for RGB and never got a response.

Is GameCube RGB also? I doubt it, and that as well as the N64 are the only systems I use S Video for, so if I can fix that issue that would essentially eliminate the issue

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I agree, I asked voultar here on the forums a long time ago to mod my system for RGB and never got a response.

Is GameCube RGB also? I doubt it, and that as well as the N64 are the only systems I use S Video for, so if I can fix that issue that would essentially eliminate the issue

You have to send him a message on Retro Mods, he hardly checks his PMs here.

If you need an S-video to composite adapter, I can probably make you one. The ones on ebay are crappy.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member

PAL GameCubes have RGB, NTSC do not.

However, you can get RGB out of a NTSC cube using a modified component cable.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
You have to send him a message on Retro Mods, he hardly checks his PMs here.

If you need an S-video to composite adapter, I can probably make you one. The ones on ebay are crappy.

I think the best bet would be to just use one of those aftermarket S Video cables with the AV head on it also for the time being. Ideally, I would prefer to RGB mod the N64 and the GameCube would use the same front port I've been using. No way I can afford the Component Cables anytime soon

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
You should just replace the GameCube with a Wii. It takes 15 minutes to mod and you can get 240p out of the component cord.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the best bet would be to just use one of those aftermarket S Video cables with the AV head on it also for the time being. Ideally, I would prefer to RGB mod the N64 and the GameCube would use the same front port I've been using. No way I can afford the Component Cables anytime soon

Those cables are horrible dude. It will give you a checkered picture.