• Street Fighter 5

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • i dun play no capcum fiters

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah, I'm not calling it out or anything, just wanted to hear ppls opinions. I remember playing alpha 3 the most from the alpha series but I did play alot of alpha 2 on ps2.
I do remember alpha counters being really good in 2

If your going to play on a console, try the Saturn Version. The ps2 anthology version isn't bad either.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
The best couners are in Alpha 1, Alpha 2 counters are nice and although better than 3's they still don't guarantee a successful counter, you can miss a lot with them. 3 counters are a joke, I wonder what made them move away from it, too much turtling?

I see , I think I remember fireballs barely did any chip damage or was it didn't do much damage outside if you were far apart. We will have to hit fightcade with it some time

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Why is alpha 2 better than alpha 3? Just curious for you guys that like alpha 2?

Mainly V-ism nonsense. Also starting with a full bar makes V-ism even more good. A2 is less of a one-touch game.

Also any poll answer other than SF2 is just crazy talk.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
V-ism is awesome, all them folks playing A3 and not using...lol...

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Yeah, I remember vism being annoying in alpha 3. Fortunately most ppl I played use the other ism's so maybe that's why. I've watched some high level V players, akuma is pretty good

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Why is alpha 2 better than alpha 3? Just curious for you guys that like alpha 2?

i prefer the visuals and sound track of alpha 2 over 3. but alpha 2 defiantly not the better game in terms of game play.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Chose 2 because Alpha 2 and 2X are my faves. I prefer Alpha 2 over Alpha 3 just because it seemed to go towards what the Capcom Marvel fighters were doing at that time, more frantic, less precise gameplay. It's good, I like it but Alpha 2 is still my favourite SF game (nostalgia plays a huge part).

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The correct answer is Third Strike. With Super Turbo and Hyper fighting real real close.

Honorable mention goes to Capcom vs SNK 2. Yes, it's not a Street Fighter game, but I think it's just as good if not better than those three I just mentioned, and has a giant giant Street Fighter feel.

fluxcore

Another Striker
SF2HF > SFA2 >>> everything

SFA3 is pretty good, but it's pretty janky (combos which only work for player1, infinite rejump corner combos) and it just plays weird. I guess you could say the same about ST, but ST is amazing so shut up.

3s has its good points (the juggling system is pretty awesome, Urien is one of my favourite character movesets in all of fighting games), but i got burnt the fuck out of it by the US top tourneys back in the days with 90% Chuns.

Yay! Subjective opinions.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Less precise gameplay on A3...3rdS the best...damn...lol.

Not sure if precise was the right word there, but it definitely feels like they went in off the back of making loads of Marvel games with the same mindset when it came to making Alpha 3 (not even sure if it was the same team that worked on the Marvel games and the Alpha series).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I couldn't disagree more. If you tell me that Alpha 1 combo system resembles Marvel or Darkstalkers I'd be with you but A3 is still very much traditional SF combo wise like A2, now there's juggling and air safe recovery but that's not a marvel thing at all, aerial rave and juggling are two very different things.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
3rd strike is the best, then ST, then Alpha 2. Alpha 3 is not traditional combo wise. It is a game that is entirely v ism dependent. The CC's in alpha 2 were a push in, if you fucked it, you got nothing, and we're at the mercy of your opponent.. The issue was the CC's were deadly with minimal execution. Watch Rose for example. To much of A3's structure is V ism dependent. It's still a fun game, but I like A2 the most because I put more time into it. It also felt more fundamentally SF for me. I like Charlie a lot in it.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It's been a while since I played Alpha 3, but that was the impression I was left with after hanging it up (only played the Saturn version). I'll have to revisit it and see if it was just me, but it distinctly comes back as Marvel-esque. Not necessarily the combo system either, but just the general, faster paced, frantic feel of it. Memory is a fickle thing though.

Next question, which version? CPS2, Upper on Naomi, Saturn version again. I'm tending towards Upper on Naomi.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
3rd strike is the best, then ST, then Alpha 2. Alpha 3 is not traditional combo wise. It is a game that is entirely v ism dependent. The CC's in alpha 2 were a push in, if you fucked it, you got nothing, and we're at the mercy of your opponent.. The issue was the CC's were deadly with minimal execution. Watch Rose for example. To much of A3's structure is V ism dependent. It's still a fun game, but I like A2 the most because I put more time into it. It also felt more fundamentally SF for me. I like Charlie a lot in it.
Charlie is my man on both A2 and A3, his A2 standing MP is awesome, works a lot like DJ's MP on ST...and A3upper. Charlie A3 V-sim is awesome 'cause he can dash but the MP has no more anti-air properties. While I agree with the CC of A2 being awesome and a total risk, I still love V-ism, the juggles might not be SF traditional but the regular ground combos are, A3 is not the link fest that other Capcom games are known for.

It's been a while since I played Alpha 3, but that was the impression I was left with after hanging it up (only played the Saturn version). I'll have to revisit it and see if it was just me, but it distinctly comes back as Marvel-esque. Not necessarily the combo system either, but just the general, faster paced, frantic feel of it. Memory is a fickle thing though.

Next question, which version? CPS2, Upper on Naomi, Saturn version again. I'm tending towards Upper on Naomi.

Saturn is the best but any of those would do.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Street Fighter V because it's brand new.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Saturn is the best but any of those would do.

What makes the Saturn version better than the CPS2 version? Not trying to be a smart ass, I have both versions. I know the Saturn version is better than the DC version for sure but I always thought the CPS2 version was the best version.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
CPS2 is great but it's missing reverse dramatic survival, awesome mode. More importantly the Saturn has the Upper characters under the CPS2 ported environment unlike the DC which is all redone hitboxes and what have you. DC/Naomi still great though just not as awesome as Saturn plus 240p.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
CPS2 is great but it's missing reverse dramatic survival, awesome mode. More importantly the Saturn has the Upper characters under the CPS2 ported environment unlike the DC which is all redone hitboxes and what have you. DC/Naomi still great though just not as awesome as Saturn plus 240p.

I see, I'm going to have to pop it in my Saturn one of these days and give it a good run. Try out that survival mode. It's been awhile since I played Alpha 3.