• Street Fighter 5

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • i dun play no capcum fiters

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Shit. Thought I had replied to this earlier in the week. Oh well. Day late and a dollar short.

TL;DR: You're welcome to enjoy whatever you enjoy. Don't let me stop you. I don't hate 3S. Just tired of people who don't know shit blowing excessive smoke up its ass. Carry on.

I suppose I should preface this by saying that I played a lot of 3S (monthly local tournaments and the occasional east coast major when I could afford it) from '99 til 2003 (when the game was mostly dead). Not long after that, I "retired" from playing fighting games seriously (read: graduated college and didn't have time anymore) and then actively followed the game's resurgence post Evo 2002 when Japan showed the US how to play the game. I still play it occasionally today if I can find competition at Lost Ark in Greensboro, NC where some of the country's best active 3S players play but I'm garbage at it. So I don't hate Third Strike in the way that I actively avoid playing other popular competitive games and I actually enjoy 2nd Impact as a fun, fucking around game even though it's terribly unbalanced and the characters I play are all garbage tier. Even if it's far from my favorite, it's still Street Fighter.

I shit on the game because I feel it gets put on a pedestal by people who don't know anything about fighting games as some kind of technical masterpiece when the truth is the general consensus among high-level players is that it's a weird anomaly and the meta for the game is 50/50 guessing and kind of boring. Also the reason you haven't seen parrying as a universal mechanic in any other game.

With that said, love whatever you love and play whatever you play. I'm not here to tell you not to. I'm just providing some perspective.

Stop right there. It's one way of controlling space. As shown with different games. There are more ways to control space then fireballs. Again, if this wasn't a severe problem then why the push to nerf fireballs?

So let me get this straight: you originally complained about fireball spam being this huge problem that needed to be rectified ("The main flaw in SFII IS the fireballs. Too many games are just one giant spam the fireball fest"). I pointed out that there were many ways to control space in Street Fighter II that are equally annoying (Vega/Claw is soft banned just as often as O. Sagat is in tournaments) and your counter is "It's one way of controlling space" and asserting again that universal game mechanics are somehow designed solely to nerf fireballs. Not sure how that's supposed to negate what I said.

Parrying and FADCs have much further reaching intentions and results (many beyond the original intentions) than simply nullifying fireballs. They make block strings unsafe. They severely limit the effectiveness of all mid-to-full screen offense (projectiles, Dhalsim limbs, any long-range torpedo style attack). They are a hard-read guess defensive option in the mid-range.

The difference, of course, is that focus attacks actually carry associated risk. Even if you're successful, you lose gray health and are forced to take an action (either dashing or releasing a focus attack) which moves along the game's meta.

However Dhalsim can be punished since his limbs have hurtboxes. Fireballs do not.

Sure. And? The hitbox also extends through the entirety of his limb, can hit people in the air, is much faster than a fireball and be used as an instant overhead. All strategies have positives, negatives and effective counter-strategies. If your point is that Dhalsim's limbs aren't as effective a way to control space or as annoying as a fireball, you clearly don't play much ST. Dhalsim is a top 5 character in that game and won/wins tournaments regularly (behind only O. Sagat, Vega and maybe Chun).

No now you just threw something that is pretty f'n broken about Chun Li that people bitch about all day and say Fireballs are an example of that?!?!? Really?

Was not implying that the simple act of throwing a fireball is equivalent to the brain-dead mental terrorism that is Chun in 3S. Merely a snarky example of controlling space.

Grapplers controlling the space within their grab range would've been a less sarcastic example. If you knock someone down and get within grab range, you force the opponent in to a 50/50 where they either have to reversal/jump and hope you whiff grab or block/backdash and hope you were going for the bait. Watch a good O. Hawk player... it's terrifying. The point of my whole "controlling space" rant is that Street Fighter is a delicate balance of these different styles of characters and SF3 severely limits those to make all of the characters play more or less at the same ranges and the characters who win are the characters who do the best at those ranges.

Really?!? So, Justin Wong is just a crap fighter who can't defend against fireballs right? In '09 Evo he couldn't touch Ryu and lost both times to Daigo. Also if I remember right '10 went to Daigo and Ryu as well. It wasn't till Super where fireballs got severely toned down that anything changed.

Really?!? Your argument for fireballs being overpowered is that the best Ryu player in the world crushed a guy who was in middle school when ST came out and plays 10 other games more than he plays ST in one tournament? C'mon man. Apologies for the name drop but by that logic, since Justin used to come down to my locals back in 2001/2002 and would crush everyone in Marvel 2 with Thanos and Anakaris-based teams, we should make sure no Marvel games have capture assists.

Fireball traps in ST can absolutely be tricky (particularly if you're using a character that doesn't deal with them effectively). I would know. I use Boxer primarily in that game and fighting a person that has their spacing on point and knows that matchup is always an uphill struggle. But it's not "spam". Someone with an effective fireball trap isn't just throwing fireballs willy nilly. Getting someone in to the corner who knows they don't want to be there requires precise matchup knowledge and one ill-timed fireball can lead to a jump-in combo (which will negate a dozen blocked fireballs in a second) or eating an invincible super.

<chatter about other games fireballs>

This conversation is about Street Fighter. I don't give a shit how fireballs are handled in NRS games.

I didn't say solely. I said the way the ideas for that were born. It was turned into something else, but the 1st thought for it probably was as a deterrent for fireballs.

Based on zero evidence and flying in the face of what the mechanics actually do. Great. Glad we settled that. Like I said, it's telling that you view universal defense mechanics as being born as a fireball deterrent.

BTW ment V-Skill totally fucked that up and when each V-Skill is a good anti-fireball strategy, yeah. I do believe that.

Once again, while many of the V-skills have anti-fireball uses, very few of them are solely designed to negate fireballs (Nash and Dictator are the only two I can think of). Hell, some of them ARE projectiles. You see where I'm going with this?

Hmmm. Soul Calibur, Samurai Shodown, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, King of Fighters, Mark of the Wolves, and Mortal Kombat all have either a parry or counter attack specfically there to disrupt timing. Now if you want to amend that to air parries, to which is probably a bad idea hindsight, that I can get on board for. That only exists in 3rd Strike.

I could type out why each of those games treats parries differently in a way that's less destructive to character balance and variety (well... except for the games that are actual shit) but this post is already way too long. Since the exact text you responded to was talking about how games handle punishing jump-ins, let's go with the later.

Again you wanna bitch about air parries, then yes it's a bit f'ed up. Also the reason why people don't use it in future games except for MOTW which is a lot harder to punish after accomplishing it. Also air blocking works in a similar way so bitch about Alpha while you're at it. That's not Street Fighter 101. Just Street Fighter II 101.

Alpha air blocking only works against air-born specials. Can't block any ground-based attacks so you can't jump willy nilly in that game either. Try to keep up.

Reason why you are not ruling at that game. 50/50? You named 3 just in that comment alone. There's also using moves that people usually don't see as much, using a multi hit move, Jumping at an awkward angle to reduce parry chances, backing off and punishing on land. Just a few off the top of my head.

All of those boil down to two things: attack or parry. All of your attacks can be beaten by correctly-timed parries and potentially open you up to attack. All of your parries can be beaten by empty jump-in throw tech. You know what the smartest move is? Option selecting a safe normal that doesn't open you up for a punish or fishing for a parry and tech-throwing if they don't attack. You know what should've happened instead? The person who jumped in should have been punished. Instead, the person who enforced their will and pushed their opponent in to a mistake has to play another guessing game.

You don't like 3rd Strike, I get that, but just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's a P.O.S. because you can listen to the pros bitch. On top of this to do what the pros do is hard in of itself. Being the top tier best at 3rd Strike takes a lot of practice. It's not like you can just practice some B.S. crap like Marvel and hope to ascend quickly through the ranks.

Like I said, I don't hate the game and I assure you I understand it just fine. I can also assure you that high-level Marvel requires far more execution than anything in 3rd Strike but that's another discussion for another time.

EVERY OTHER FIGHTING GAME?!?!? Again air parries I can get on board, but jump ins don't always get punished. It depends on timing, conditioning, whether you attack when you realize you f'ed up, or even if the opponent screws up. Also games like KOF have hyper hops, run, rolls, fake moves. Mark of the Wolves have just defend, Alpha has air block, many other games have dashes to disrupt the timing on when you go to the air so it's harder to punish. It isn't as cut and dry as opponent jumps, you see, opponent gets punished.

Yes, other games have moves that can alter jump trajectory. That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about a specific scenario in which a player is forced in to a mistake which leaves them in the air in a position to be punished. SF3 and MotW are the only two games where that doesn't necessarily lead to a guaranteed punish and MotW handles things slightly differently so I'll leave that one out for the time being.

That jump in hang up is a SFII thing in all honesty. Like I said if you don't like it stick with SFII. Nothing wrong with that

Or Alpha. Or 4. Or 5. Or EX (:angry:). Or Vampire. Or Pocket Fighter. I assure you, I have plenty of games to play. Have fun guessing though.

Bullshit. I play footsies. I can disrupt with Ibuki because they can never get a grasp on if I'm going to the air or staying down. She's good on both. I play Makoto Dash in command throw is a monster. Also she has so many different normals it's hard to get a bead on which I will use. I've seen plenty of Uriens using Ageis Reflector to dominate from a distance plus his fireball game along with super fast shoulder tackle and air dive make is a rough guessing game if done right. Remy's fireballs can be annoying. Especially using the ex then going for punishes while the opponent is focused on parrying fireballs from above and below. Necro has a good distance game like Dhalsim. I've seen plenty of players use it then punish with electricity when coming in. And Twelve is all kinds of crazy if done right. I watched Alex Valle pick apart Pikachu Akuma with Twelve simply because you just can't see what's coming in time before Twelve resets and does it again. Bull Fucking Shit.

Look man. I'm glad that you've watched tournament videos. Just because an all-time great player can beat someone with a garbage character doesn't make that character not garbage. Necro has nothing outside of sweep distance (his limb normals are slow enough to parry on reaction) and his goal should always be to be in people's faces where his mix-ups are more effective with the eventual goal of working them in to the corner where his mix-up game gets that much scarier. Twelve does have Magneto-like rushdown but he does jackshit for damage so he has to guess correctly like 15 times in a round to win and his opponent has to guess correctly three times since he takes damage like a little girl (one of the lowest staminas in the game). Once you knock him down, he has no reversal game so you can rush him down and 50/50 him to death. He's a bottom 3 character that would be a hell of a lot better if people couldn't randomly guess-parry and take his lunch money. Remy is also trash. You can rapid fire charge partition his sonic booms all you want. They do dick for damage and they're easy to parry outside of sweep distance. Yes, even the EX ones. Unless you're fighting Hugo, projectile trapping is a worthless strategy. Between that, his zero burst damage potential, his crap supers and his mostly crap normals, he's a bottom 5 character. All three of those characters are severely limited because the things that make those archetypes viable in other Street Fighter games (block push-back to reset position, fast poking to control space, projectile chip damage) are all negated by parrying. I'm not basing this on anecdotal evidence. The game has been out 17 years. The dye has been cast. Those characters are shit and that's the reason they're shit.

Ibuki and Makoto are both rushdown characters who have fast, cancellable normals that are difficult to parry and can do big damage or a knockdown in to 50/50s off a random parry... exactly the kind of characters who are successful in that game.

To each their own. I find SFIV boring as hell to watch. doesn't mean it's bad to play.

I would agree. That said, as someone who probably watches more fighting game footage than actually plays it at this point in my life, a game being watchable matters to me.

Again Bullshit. that shit is parried right away. You might want to go with the Ken typical combo or Akuma Tatsu B.S., but even then high ups see it coming. It's about how much they see the same B.S. over and over. Again parring the predictable. Shoto's tend to be used more, and are more predictable. Simple as that.

Dude, what are you talking about? No one gives a shit what scrubs do. I'm talking about high level play. The Ken "typical" combos in 3S are either kara-jab shoryu combos (max damage and a knockdown setup) or fish for c. strong (because it has insane late-cancelling frames and can't be parried high) and cancel late in to SA3. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here but if you're going to try and play theory fighter with me, know what you're talking about first. Go back and watch more tournament footage.

Jesus. Broke the 16000 character limit. Respond if you want. I'm likely done here. ST rules, 3S is for weirdos who don't like Street Fighter and scrubs who don't know any better. :cool:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

I'm not about to throw up another wall of text. I personally felt bad about it the 1st time, and it's not going to solve anything except piss everybody off.

I, personally, have no problem with fireballs. However, that being said, I can tell from a majority consensus that there is a problem with fireballs in SFII games when everybody, including the people that made SF (Arika) and Capcom go out of their way to "balance" fireballs by giving new tech to get around it. Also any time you can spam fireballs (i.e. throwing them as fast as you can without any thought put behind the actions, just going fast) in modern games it gets patched out. That tells me it was considered a fault in SFII.

Secondly why do you think having faults in fighting games is necessarily a bad thing? Most of the popular fighting games have them and yes it does polarize fans a bit. It does make the fans that love the game love it that much more. 3rd Strike has parries, Marvel is all about infinites, ST is the fireballs, but you tell any of the hardcore fans that it's something bad they jump on you like you know nothing.

Look at a game that's extremely hard to find faults on now. Killer Instinct 3. Everybody gushes about how good it is, but does it bring in the numbers like SF or Tekken? No. Why not? Say the casual crowd just doesn't know. Why hasn't the hardcore crowd taken to it? They have a tourney like Capcom does with a grand final and prizes involved, but the players involved are getting less and less. Even with new characters being released, even with the PC version being released, with Xbox gold members getting the 1st season for free on either platform (for a limited time in Jan I think it was), and the netcode being one of the best ever. Less people care about this game. Why?

My hypothesis is that not having faults is killing it. Balancing out shit and making it a test of skill rather then having shenanigans in there turns people away. 1st two seasons had a bit of it till it really got completely patched out by the third. Am I right? I dunno, but it's interesting how games you can easily see faults have the biggest crowds and the games that are well balanced are not.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I think KI suffers because it doesn't have the character fan base than say SF, MK or even KOF does. Even the hardcore people kind of just stick with one game and one character when it comes to playing fighting games. Unfortunately there aren't many people like Justin Wong or Sonic Fox who can play multiple games and be good like regardless of that character being their favorite or no.
Also, allot of people didn't grab an Xbone at launch and stuck with the PS4 since it got majority of the fighting games at these tournaments are on there.

I really should download KI for PC to give it a shot. I haven't used Fulgore or Orchid in years. I am also excited about RASH from battle toads being in the game.

Last edited:

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member
SF2 does cause of trying to find a copy back in the day.

Use to just demo play it on the kiosks in store. Then was lucky to find a copy to rent at a local video store. Really couldnt find a copy to buy, was in Target one day with my dad and they had it and he said screw it and just bought it retail. Good ol' days of having to call or store hop trying to find games then being sunk not being able to find a single copy of the game anywhere.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ I bought it for $70 at Kaybee Toy store pretty easily. It was harder to find Super Street Fighter II for me personally since it wasn't considered as big of a deal.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
^ I bought it for $70 at Kaybee Toy store pretty easily. It was harder to find Super Street Fighter II for me personally since it wasn't considered as big of a deal.

Man thats where i got my SSF2 for Genny.

I still remember first seeing it in the arcade and being blown away by the new opening and characters. Then one day shortly after, i walked over from the arcade to KayBee and BAM there it was. 20 bucks too. I was a kid at the time so 20 bucks wasnt easy to come by but that day it just so happens that i had enough :D

i wonder why it was so cheap. was it clearance because i know it couldnt have been THAT long after its release

Last edited:

NeoTeam546

Cheng's Errand Boy
20 Year Member

Thats how it was for Street fighter 2 turbo when it came out. Since the 1st rendition was so hot Turbo came out and it was just as big. I remember looking in my Nintendo power and just going Ape$&@. I think I ended up luckily renting it once again to even be able to play it. Then we went to a local game shop as usual looking for it and other games and they had 1 copy of turbo left and it literally turned into a bidding war inside the store. My dad tossed in like $70-75 bid and it ended up going for over $100 I think. Sounds sketchy but it did go down cause I know we weren't able to buy it and we left with my dad disgusted/pissed. Ill consult with him and see if he recalls the exact amount and or other details.

We liked going to that game shop because any used games theyd let you test them in shop on a system to see if it was a game you were interested in for 3-5 minutes before buying. Which was a descent thing considering the times back then.

Last edited:

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
It's funny, one of the big reasons why I bought Street Fighter II Turbo for my then new SNES was because KB Toys had it on sale for just 20 bucks. I seem to recall asking the cashier why it was so cheap and she mentioned something about their buyer ordering way too many copies. Sadly, I paid full price (around 50 to 60 dollars) for Earthworm Jim which was the game that finally convinced me to upgrade from my NES.