Early 90's Fighting Games

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Fuck...How did you guys play these back in the day? Now days you can go get a fighter and beat the arcade mode with minimal effort. But not these early 90's fighters. They have no problem taking $8 from you before you even beat the first 2 or 3 stages. I mean you really really have to work for your victories.

I've been playing Art of Fighting 1&2 recently and as of right now I cant imagine how difficult the final boss is.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Yo ND.

Its more than just AoF though, FF1 is brutal too.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Personally, I would play a game once or twice in the arcade to figure out if I liked it, then wait for the SNES/Genesis version. I didn't have the cash to spend 50 cents on a game I only lasted 1 minute in if I wasn't any good.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i don't think the art of fighting games are a good example of difficulty of the early 90's fighting games. the first two art of fighting games are considered to be some of the hardest fighters ever. i've never known anyone to beat them without using a timing method attack.

where as in general, the fighters in the arcade may have been difficult because the vendors would crank up the difficulty in the settings so players could feed it coins. but on normal difficulty, the games were highly playable and relatively easy.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Personally, I would play a game once or twice in the arcade to figure out if I liked it, then wait for the SNES/Genesis version. I didn't have the cash to spend 50 cents on a game I only lasted 1 minute in if I wasn't any good.

The 16-bit home versions of Art of Fighting were pretty shitty though, weren't they?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I played the SNES version long before the neo, it was good times. No idea if it holds up.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Shit, I remember having a blast playing Fatal Fury for the Genesis, even if it was a crappy port. I was a kid, I didn't care.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Fighters back then were designed with one goal in mind. To take in money, whether you were playing the CPU with impossible AI or a second player, it was supposed to make you feed it money. Look at US arcade game flyers from back then, all they talked about was "MAXIMIZE YOUR PROFIT!!!!"

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All arcade games were made with the intention to make money, make no mistake about it, that is the number one priority of an arcade game, at least any arcade game worth a damn.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
All arcade games were made with the intention to make money, make no mistake about it, that is the number one priority of an arcade game, at least any arcade game worth a damn.

I could only imagine the $$$ signs that appeared in Ops eyes at a trade show when it was said that a credit would be feed in at least every three to four minutes on a high traffic fighting machine. No more sitting on a Pac-Man machine for an hour on 25 cents.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not everyone can play Pac-Man for an hour on one credit...also most arcade owners weren't making bank on SF anyway, yes it increase profits but I never saw any great margins that changed anyone's life at the time, most arcade OPs where about the same spot during the SF era and subsequently all the way to late 90's.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Its more than just AoF though, FF1 is brutal too.

FF1 is not brutal. You can spam the same move over and over (at least as Andy) and win at least 60-70% of the time, including against Geese. Default difficulty.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
FF1 is not brutal. You can spam the same move over and over (at least as Andy) and win at least 60-70% of the time, including against Geese. Default difficulty.

Yep, pretty much where my handle came from.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Rugal in kof 98 was pretty hard for me at the arcade to beat, but overall some of the shooters were more quarter munchers than the fighters.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Yea, Fatal Fury 1 was very pattern based and easy to cheese out with Andy. But Geese could still be a pain, hah... Most of the bosses back in those days *were* a pain though.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The 16-bit home versions of Art of Fighting were pretty shitty though, weren't they?
AOF on SNES was... 'ok'. However, the real high point was the AST on the SNES version. It was amazing! Made the game worth playing through just to hear it...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Games were more difficult.in general back in the early 90s Niko. Look at the reaction that Super Metroid got on the WiiU. People could t figure out how to get past the first 5 minutes of the game. Sad times .

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But not these early 90's fighters. They have no problem taking $8 from you before you even beat the first 2 or 3 stages. I mean you really really have to work for your victories.

I've been playing Art of Fighting 1&2 recently and as of right now I cant imagine how difficult the final boss is.

It's possible, that those games were primarily meant to be played against another players, not the AI. The difficulty would then be used to encourage that concept, which generated more quarters, I guess. As far as single player challenge goes, most, if not all records are made with autofire, often featured in Japanese cabs -- it's a different game, but certainly an easier one, no matter how cheap the AI is.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Fuck...How did you guys play these back in the day? Now days you can go get a fighter and beat the arcade mode with minimal effort. But not these early 90's fighters. They have no problem taking $8 from you before you even beat the first 2 or 3 stages. I mean you really really have to work for your victories.

that's very true, fighting games were much harder back in the mid-late 90s, when they were also much more popular (and everyone was going to the arcades). Now they have to make them easier (and 3D) to attract people.
SNK knew their 2D fighters were getting less popular towards the end of the 90s, that's they included the "Service Mode", so you can choose to remove 3/4 of the enemy's life bar.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
When i was at the arcades, when it came to fighters i usually never continue...I would restart from the beginning everytime to get maximum money worth.

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting - I can usually get to bison & depending how much of an ass he wanted to be can 1cc
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - If i fight the new challengers early i can get pretty far but usually either Deejay or Cammy gets me. This has the hardest ai in a fighting game & i never did beat akuma.
MK - I can get to Goro most of the time
MK2 - Shao Khan always got me, im not sure if i ever beat it at the arcades
Killer Instinct - This one was pretty easy to 1cc
Samurai Showdown IV - i can get to amakusa but that 2nd form is a real bitch
SF3 - I can get to Gil easily but depending he's able to full heal is when he beats me
X-men vs Street Fighter - This is when everything got easy, way too easy to beat
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Figther - This was pretty easy too
Marvel vs Capcom - Another brain dead AI

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
AOF on SNES was... 'ok'. However, the real high point was the AST on the SNES version. It was amazing! Made the game worth playing through just to hear it...

You're absolutely joking right? :smirk:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
When i was at the arcades, when it came to fighters i usually never continue...I would restart from the beginning everytime to get maximum money worth.

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting - I can usually get to bison & depending how much of an ass he wanted to be can 1cc
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - If i fight the new challengers early i can get pretty far but usually either Deejay or Cammy gets me. This has the hardest ai in a fighting game & i never did beat akuma.
MK - I can get to Goro most of the time
MK2 - Shao Khan always got me, im not sure if i ever beat it at the arcades
Killer Instinct - This one was pretty easy to 1cc
Samurai Showdown IV - i can get to amakusa but that 2nd form is a real bitch
SF3 - I can get to Gil easily but depending he's able to full heal is when he beats me
X-men vs Street Fighter - This is when everything got easy, way too easy to beat
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Figther - This was pretty easy too
Marvel vs Capcom - Another brain dead AI

MK 2 is cake once you figure out the AI. You can hit jumpkicks over pretty much every ground move. Works great on Kintaro and Kahn as well. You can also uppercut him.out of the shoulder tackle if you time it right.

Back in the day I would play MK 2 every Sunday at the same arcade and there was a dude there that was probably 18 or 19. I would play against him and learned alot of techniques. He sold me a FAQ with all the moves and I became obsessed with that game. The first time I every beat arcade mode and got the high score, he snapped the shitty bat tops off both sticks and gave them too me. Apparently that was a tradition at that arcade.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Best games of MK2 I've had the privilege to witness are with DZ and ReplicaX, two guys that make the game look insane in action. I never got much into MK but I'd like to do it sometime, my MK game is casual at best.