SNK Playmore launches "SNK Entertainment"

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
:snack:

SNK Playmore announced today with a press release the launch of 鉄NK Entertainment, a wholly owned company dedicated to achieve sustainable growth and to maximize the brand power of the SNK Group.

SNK Entertainment will work on contract development focused on video and graphics production, taking care of the licensing of the over 200 intellectual properties owned by the SNK group, including The King of Fighters and Metal Slug, and other activities related to internet and digital entertainment.

At the helm of the new subsidiary will be SNK Playmore USA CEO Koichi Toyama.

Source: Dual Shockers, Famitsu and NeoGAF

Translation: more mobile games :annoyed:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SNK needs brand power, whatever gets the funds going for any potential future unique stuff.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I just want them to start going toe to toe with Capcom again.

Why cant a resurgence in the Streetfighter brand mean the same for the SNK IP's?

Plenty of love for the retro fighters to go all round.

And bring something out on Xbone FFS SNK.

Rant over.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SNK is never going to be able to go toe to toe with Capcom ever again...years later KOFXIII didn't do it, although I think XIII is a step backwards from XII but that's an entire different subject.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I am amazed that SNK is still standing after all this time, even if as a shadow of itself. Won't get my hopes too high though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I just want them to start going toe to toe with Capcom again.

Why cant a resurgence in the Streetfighter brand mean the same for the SNK IP's?

Plenty of love for the retro fighters to go all round.

And bring something out on Xbone FFS SNK.

Rant over.

the reason why snk could never compete with capcom is because they are two very different companies now. in the 90's, snk and capcom were rivals because they fought over the same market of 2d fighters, shooters and beat em ups. but now, capcom has evolved from that into a company that produces games like devils may cry, resident evil and okami. where as snk have pretty much stayed that same. i said this before, but the only way snk is going to compete with capcom is if they turn metal slug into a first person shooter.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
the reason why snk could never compete with capcom is because they are two very different companies now. in the 90's, snk and capcom were rivals because they fought over the same market of 2d fighters, shooters and beat em ups. but now, capcom has evolved from that into a company that produces games like devils may cry, resident evil and okami. where as snk have pretty much stayed that same. i said this before, but the only way snk is going to compete with capcom is if they turn metal slug into a first person shooter.

I wouldn't say SNK stayed the same. They've since dedicated themselves to making the equivalent of paper napkins and party hats.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
I wouldn't say SNK stayed the same. They've since dedicated themselves to making the equivalent of paper napkins and party hats.

lol yeah true. what i meant was that snk has always been about the arcade style games. where as capcom jumped off that wagon a long time ago.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
"At the helm of the new subsidiary will be SNK Playmore USA CEO Koichi Toyama."

I assume this is going to be in Japan? Does SNK even have any U.S. facilities anymore?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
so what exactly does this even mean? werent they uhh... supposed to be making the best use of their IPs all along anyway? what does the branching off signify?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
so what exactly does this even mean? werent they uhh... supposed to be making the best use of their IPs all along anyway? what does the branching off signify?

Hopefully this means they are open to ideas from third parties that could make some noise.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, that would be good if they are.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol yeah true. what i meant was that snk has always been about the arcade style games. where as capcom jumped off that wagon a long time ago.
Capcom has always played both fields while SNK has rarely even scratchthe surface towards the console enviornment, I mean you can't count the AES, as it's pretty much just arcade dress streamlined for your living room.

SNK pre Neo used to dabble into the console market but they abandoned that ship once they got to the Neo.

The whole SNK vs Capcom rivalry is pretty muchjust exclusive to the arcade, nothing more.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
but the only way snk is going to compete with capcom is if they turn metal slug into a first person shooter.

Damn, don't give anyone any ideas. It'd be a beautiful monstrosity if it ever did get released.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Capcom has always played both fields while SNK has rarely even scratchthe surface towards the console enviornment, I mean you can't count the AES, as it's pretty much just arcade dress streamlined for your living room.

SNK pre Neo used to dabble into the console market but they abandoned that ship once they got to the Neo.

The whole SNK vs Capcom rivalry is pretty muchjust exclusive to the arcade, nothing more.

you explained it better than i did. now that the arcade scene is dead, there's no way snk is going to compete with capcom.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Theyre doing ok whoring out their IPs on the mobile market, hopefully this will be a means to get their IPs into bigger titles.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Capcom vs. SNK 3 please. Development could be handled by Dimps, where a lot of the ex-SNK guys went.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
KOFXIII was a game that could have competed with Capcom for the top spot. The hype train after BALA vs MadKOF was pretty large and most people were getting very interested in it. The problem was as it is always. Playmore doesn't make a game with Netcode in mind and can't make a good netcode to save their lives. So everybody went to KOF XIII saw it played online like shit and left.

I think now is the chance Playmore can catch up. Capcom releasing a 16 character game asking for $30 for 6 characters at a time and not giving clear ways to get in game currency has the potential to blow up in their faces like SF x TK. The FGC can only take so much shenanigans. If they piss people off on their flagship who knows if Playmore can play their card right.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Capcom vs. SNK 3 please. Development could be handled by Dimps, where a lot of the ex-SNK guys went.

I'd be down for that, in whatever state it comes.

SNK died in 2001, everything since has been a walking corpse trying to look alive.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Capcom has always played both fields while SNK has rarely even scratch the surface towards the console environment, I mean you can't count the AES, as it's pretty much just arcade dress streamlined for your living room.

They dabbled a bit with the Playstation as well, though mostly as a publisher and not a developer. One notable example was Koudelka, which had its charms, but had horrible gameplay.

I think that if they followed this method with some quality third party developers, it would be a more effective (and cheaper) way to get back into the console market rather than just doing all first party development, or only licensing their own IPs to third parties. Getting that big SNKP logo on a good game is the most important thing.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
SNK def needs to work on Netcode for anything released, hope the new kof has good netcode cause if they dont, game will die quick. It would be fkn amazing to see a CvS3. Growing up when all the VS games were coming out i always wanted a KOF vs SF game.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There's no such thing as sustainable growth in video games. Certainly not for SNK. But hey, good luck, SNK. You'll get my money, at least.