Building a Multicade, would like some opinions

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
So, last year i got a lot of really good advice from a lot of you.

And since i currently have my Dad's workshop at my disposal (only about 20 feet from where i sleep) I've decided to build a cocktail multicade.

Heres the 60-in-1 i'm going to get:
http://amzn.com/B01716F1RW

-Anyone recommend something better?

I was thinking of using one of these Pacman or Mrs. Pacman cocktail cabinets:
https://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/cabplans.html

-Any better Cabinet Recommendations?

Also, for the cabinet, I plan to use Mahogany or Maple with a medium to dark stain with a nice glossy varnish.

The only games i'm going to have it boot to are some Pacmans, Galaxian, some Galaga's and Frogger. & maybe Gunsmoke.

Buttons will be LED lit.

The Monitor I'm going to use is a Dell 1905fp, 4:3 19" VGA LCD monitor, Specs Here:
http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-ultrasharp-1905fp/specs/

This monitor is a choice basically because i got a few of them for free when my friends job decided to clean house, they've been perfect for running Arcade PCB's with the GBS-8220

For the Top, I'll probably get a glass/plexiglass repro of the Mrs. Pacman/Galaxian top, love that one.

-Any reason to do otherwise?

I plan to buy the wood in the next 10 days pending work schedule, and since my dad built the house i grew up in i'll be trusting his expertise with cutting the wood, assembling and helping to fit the monitor up in that shit. I'll be doing everything else.

I know the classic Joystick for these is shorter with the ball on top but I havent decided for definite if that's exactly what i want.

-I'd love opinions on the Joystick.

So i'd really appreciate peoples input on anything I have or haven't mentioned.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Do you know if that monitor will actually work for that setup?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I don't understand. Are you building a cabinet or cannibalizing a Pac-Man cabinet?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I don't understand. Are you building a cabinet or cannibalizing a Pac-Man cabinet?
The link has a PDF with directions on how to build one.

But OP, I have a suggestion for you. Take some time to get to know the folks over at Build Your Own Arcade Control Forums: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
They were a big help with suggestions when I built my machine. They can give you some expertise advice on design and implementation. Not to mention the people there friendly and willing to help.

The question I would ask myself when starting a build is... Will I be happy with this once it's finished? Me personally I've always wanted a coctail system, but I don't know if they work all that well for many games. I built an upright, because I wanted to have the feeling of being in an arcade. Now that I've added 3 more cabs to my collection I have found building a cab is a gateway drug. I'd be willing to talk to you about things concerning your build if you want, just PM me.

I was going to post my project thread, but it seems all my photos have been taken down by the image host when they changed some of their policies. So I'll just leave you with the only photo that survived.
22PhotoApr07633PM_zpsa567b696.jpg
But, building a cab is very fun and since then I've built 2 others for family, and I'm getting the itch to do another one. Which I hope to do once I get my Daraku Tenshi PCB working I probably will be building another one.

Last edited:

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Do you know if that monitor will actually work for that setup?

The Multicade has VGA out and this monitor is VGA so i was assuming so...

definitely not cannibalizing a pacman cabinet, the idea was to use the layout from one of those two originals and the rest would be customized.
the inside mounting of parts etc. could easily be made to suit my needs.

The link has a PDF with directions on how to build one.

But OP, I have a suggestion for you. Take some time to get to know the folks over at Build Your Own Arcade Control Forums: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
They were a big help with suggestions when I built my machine. They can give you some expertise advice on design and implementation. Not to mention the people there friendly and willing to help.

The question I would ask myself when starting a build is... Will I be happy with this once it's finished? Me personally I've always wanted a coctail system, but I don't know if they work all that well for many games. I built an upright, because I wanted to have the feeling of being in an arcade. Now that I've added 3 more cabs to my collection I have found building a cab is a gateway drug. I'd be willing to talk to you about things concerning your build if you want, just PM me.

I was going to post my project thread, but it seems all my photos have been taken down by the image host when they changed some of their policies. So I'll just leave you with the only photo that survived.
View attachment 33309
But, building a cab is very fun and since then I've built 2 others for family, and I'm getting the itch to do another one. Which I hope to do once I get my Daraku Tenshi PCB working I probably will be building another one.

Thanks dude, this source is a huge help, i wouldn't even have thought to look for a build your own arcade forum. I will definitely be contacting you.
I do eventually want a stand up arcade, however I wanted a cocktail specifically for the games i listed. By me is an arcade that has Galaxian and Pacman cocktail cabinets, honestly after some thought i'd more than likely only have the PCB strait boot Mrs. Pacman and Galaxian, as i've played those two on a cocktail and love the feel.
When i do eventually build a stand up Arcade it'll probably be Double Dragon first.

And that custom Cabinet fucking rocks man, great work!

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The Multicade has VGA out and this monitor is VGA so i was assuming so...

You are talking specifically about connectors, not display resolutions. That monitor is not "VGA" it is XSGA. Sometimes these little facts are worth checking on before you end up paying any money.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
definitely not cannibalizing a pacman cabinet, the idea was to use the layout from one of those two originals and the rest would be customized.
the inside mounting of parts etc. could easily be made to suit my needs.

Oh, I see. I think your plan sounds good, then. The only recommendation I would make is that you make it easy to open the cab up and rotate the monitor and monitor mask so that you can play both vert and hori games. Should be super-easy since you're using a flat-screen.

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Please note that the emulation and sound quality on those 60-in-1's is pretty horrible. If you're okay with that, do your thing. But since you already have a vga monitor I would choose to buy a $50 second hand pc and load MAME on it for more games and better quality.

I really mostly want Mrs. Pacman and Galaxian more than anything, i'd be happy with a board that does just those two. I want it to be a cabinet that can be turned on and boots straight to the games. Mame sounds cool but for this project I really want to stay with building as classic a setup as i can.

mourix

n00b
I really mostly want Mrs. Pacman and Galaxian more than anything, i'd be happy with a board that does just those two. I want it to be a cabinet that can be turned on and boots straight to the games. Mame sounds cool but for this project I really want to stay with building as classic a setup as i can.

In that case the 60-in-1 is perfect for you. For easy of use and low in budget there are few systems that'll beat it.