Sudden Graphical Glitches on my Final Fight PCB

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Hey guys,

I bought a Final Fight PCB about a year ago, and it has always worked like a champ. Yesterday I put it in my arcade cab and fired it up, and got some graphical glitches. I re-seated every socketed chip, and also re-seated all three boards. Nothing changed. Below is a vid of the glitch, and an Imgur library with a few PCB shots. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/qYftZ

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I can't give you real expert advice, but I will say CPS 1 A boards are notorious for failure. :( Hope you get it fixed brotha!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do you have a spare A board from another game you could swap it out with? If not try to find a cheap game such as World Warrior and steal the A board. Sadly, the CPS1 A-pocalypse is upon us :(

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
No, I don't have any other CPS games or a spare A-board. But I can just bring it to the next NorCal meat-up and ask someone else to bring one to swap out.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
My FF did a similar thing (not exactly the same, but some lines, sprites repeating etc) and it turned out to be the C board. It's a 50/50 split on the A or C board to be honest. Hopefully it's the A board, much easier to find a replacement.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
My SF2 had similar glitching. I took it over to WestCB and we connected his 'A' board...worked like a champ after that.

Sounds like you've got a plan of action. Good luck, hope that's all it is.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This was one of the things I was hoping Darksoft would make, a replacement CPS1 A board.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Custom graphics chip problem.

Either connection between the board layers, bad solder joint(s), or bad chip (most likely suspect).

Next Step: Test unit with a known good "A" or "C" board to isolate the faulty layer.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Just got a World Warrior with no sound. At least the A-board is good though. CPS1 strugglez...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
+1 on the A board.

My Final Fight and Knights of the Round both have graphical issues with the A boards they came with.

Both work great with my working A board.

A boards are becoming more and more sought after.

Dark soft should definitely create a replacement CPS1 A board!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
+1 on the A board.

My Final Fight and Knights of the Round both have graphical issues with the A boards they came with.

Both work great with my working A board.

A boards are becoming more and more sought after.

Dark soft should definitely create a replacement CPS1 A board!

Yeah man, if we have to use OG A board for a multi we are fucked :lolz:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Is it one of the chips on the A board that is going bad? Why isn't this a fixable problem?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Is it one of the chips on the A board that is going bad? Why isn't this a fixable problem?

From my understanding (which is quite limited), the A boards are difficult to troubleshoot. There is a long process of elimination in determining graphical errors due to faulty CPS1 A boards. There is one main chip which is more often than not a culprit, but the banks of chips on the right of the board are also considerations.

Read up on some repair logs for an idea of the troubleshooting of A boards. They're intimidating ha ha.

Also, check the underside of the board and make sure no pins are touching and shorting out. Straighten them out if they are.

CPS1 is grief stricken. So damn frustrating.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I have a whole banana box full of cps1 a-boards with various graphical problems... 90% of them due to the custom chip.

I wish someone would come up with a replacement for that chip :/

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I have a whole banana box full of cps1 a-boards with various graphical problems... 90% of them due to the custom chip.

I wish someone would come up with a replacement for that chip :/

If it's not an issue with solder joints/connection, it's most likely just a fault in the internals of the chip design itself.

Not exactly related, but back in 2007-2009 nVidia had a huge lawsuit for faulty graphic chips that were used in most major manufacturer notebooks. We call this 'flip chip design'. While some people would fix this by reheating these chips, it was not a definitive solution. Same goes with Xbox 360 RROD.

Back on track though, those custom Capcom chips were never meant to last...

If you need more examples, just look at their record of their hardware/security measures...Capcom WAS trippin'...

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What sucks, is we'll all end up with a bunch of working B+C combos and maybe only 1 A board to swap between them all. Then that one will go.

Someone needs to invest in a CPS1 A board replacement solution.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Necro-bumping this thread. I just bought a World Warrior B+C combo, and popped it onto Final Fight's A board. Same glitches. They don't happen during the self-check, but once the game boots up.

So in a way I guess this is good news. I would rather have a bad A board than a bad FF C board...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Necro-bumping this thread. I just bought a World Warrior B+C combo, and popped it onto Final Fight's A board. Same glitches. They don't happen during the self-check, but once the game boots up.

So in a way I guess this is good news. I would rather have a bad A board than a bad FF C board...

Well at least you've identified it's definitely the A board. It really is a shame - CPS1 is amazing but they're so unreliable. I'm worried I'll fire up my Ghouls n Ghosts one day and it'all be fucked. That said, A boards do come around now and then. I picked one up recently for $50 for my Final Fight.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
A boards are all compatible no matter the game, or region or anything, right?

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
There can be some issues running games at another speed. I've come across a few over the years. Willow will behave oddly at 12Mhz and I couldn't get Captain Commando to boot at 10Mhz.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
Back on track though, those custom Capcom chips were never meant to last...

If you need more examples, just look at their record of their hardware/security measures...Capcom WAS trippin'...

TJWGa71.jpg