Turbo-Grafx 16 won't power on after S-video mod attempt

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
I attempted an s-video mod for my Turbo and after a few tries, I found that my Turbo won't turn on at all anymore. Whenever I connect it to the TV, nothing shows up when I switch it on. What is wrong?

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Can you post pics of your work? Sounds like you might have a short somewhere.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Check the board with a multimeter to see if it's still getting power. You may have blown the fuse by accident.

darknezz19

n00b
Usually when fudging up stuff like this I double check all runs and joints. Mainly I would double check the orientation of that transistor and make sure you don't have it backwards. If nothing looks out of the ordinary this is where I start to panic and then usually just remove everything that was done and see if the machine still even turns on.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
So, no picture through RF? Check the fuse for continuity. If that's ok, then check the 7805.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
To check the 7805, you measure the voltage between its output pin and ground. It should be 5 volts. However, there's no point in checking the 7805 right now because it's definitely not getting any power. No continuity through the fuse means the fuse is blown. The fuse needs to be replaced first. After that, you can check if the 7805 is working or just see if the console works.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You sure you just didn't switch the two signals to the svid Jack? On some TVs if the wires are flipped, you will see just a black and white image but some TVs will be just black.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
You sure you just didn't switch the two signals to the svid Jack? On some TVs if the wires are flipped, you will see just a black and white image but some TVs will be just black.

I double checked the switch, and it was on the channel I was using (CH. 3)

To check the 7805, you measure the voltage between its output pin and ground. It should be 5 volts. However, there's no point in checking the 7805 right now because it's definitely not getting any power. No continuity through the fuse means the fuse is blown. The fuse needs to be replaced first. After that, you can check if the 7805 is working or just see if the console works.

What kind of fuse do I need? I can't find it on the web

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
By signals, I mean the soldered wires, Chroma and Luma.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
In general, you should clip the leads of these components to keep them small so they don't hit anything else and will be more mechanically sound.