Hyper Duel: What happened to the price!?!?!?!

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello.

It has been a while since I checked out the prices on some Saturn games, and I know Ebay isn't the best reference...but what happened to Hyper Duel prices? They're insane!!!! I hear it's a good game, but it can't be that good.

Venting session is over. Thanks.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a very good game and its Saturn port features the original version as well as a (graphically) enhanced exclusive one. Is it worth the money? No. Better invest in a Rhea-Saturn.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I remember ordering this from National Console Support new when it first came out. Good times.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Hyper Duel was a $250 game 5 years ago. It's hardly gone up - now it does $325-400 at auction.

Cotton Boomerang, Elevator Action Returns, Gekirindan, Guardian Force, Ninpen Manmaru, Image Fight/X-Multiple and a slew of others have more than doubled, and tripled in a few cases.

This is true of every 2nd-6th gen mainstream library. Saturn isn't unique, neither is AES, PC Engine, SNES, etc and etc. More gamers, more collectors, more disposable income.

You can bootleg or emulate just about anything - so there is no reason own anything unless your preference is to physically own the original item. In which case, the addage continues to apply - something is worth what someone will pay for it. Only you know if Hyper Duel is worth $325 to you.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Hyper Duel is a really awesome game and definitely worth playing.

With regards to the price, ask yourself if there are other items in that price range you'd rather own. There is no shortage of top notch titles you can get for that much. Create a list of priorties and focus on those, and if Hyper Duel happens to be at the top of the list then go for it.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Wish I could find a disk only copy of this one. Want to try it but it is just over my limit. Same with Blast Winds

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hyper Duel was a $250 game 5 years ago. It's hardly gone up - now it does $325-400 at auction.

I instantly thought the same thing.

Thank god for MAME.

The port is worth owning for Saturn mode alone. Saturn mode isn't some little tacked on/gimmicky/easy mode like a lot of console exclusive modes either. It's gorgeous and you can hold the direction of your mech shot!

Blast wind is meh.

I don't know. It's very nice for what it is.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I think I sold my Hyper Duel and Twin Cobra 2 together for $150 a few years ago. I usually feel good about hooking up a forum member with a deal, unless I see them turn around and list the games for more a few weeks/months later. Thankfully this kind of bargain does get reciprocated when I buy stuff from other long time members, it's much appreciated too!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah I sold an extra copy of mine for around $150 here myself. I also sold that same member a copy of Twin Cobra II for $50.

My prices are higher than chempops.

I'm pretty sure that member lost his market access though. Oops

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Blast wind and hyper duel are both amazing titles. But I'll stick with a cd-r.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Well, but what is BW? A tate oriented yoko STG, with big borders on both sides. Either an ironic statement by one of the most famous console game producers or... simple incompetence. It's raison d'etre is being an excellent obscurity tho.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well, but what is BW? A tate oriented yoko STG, with big borders on both sides. Either an ironic statement by one of the most famous console game producers or... simple incompetence. It's raison d'etre is being an excellent obscurity tho.

I've played Blast Wind, owned it when it first came out. It's great as a scoring title but it just didn't wow me like other games from the Saturn. I was very underwhelmed. Ended up giving it to friend of mine that sold it two months later.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Sure. You could call it an MD shooter on steroids. I wouldn't agree with "simple incompetence" though. Supposedly the game was a shelved arcade title. Inazuma blade/saber I think.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hyper Duel was 130 bucks ten years ago.

Blast Wind I got from here for 70 bucks from...Terry330 I think? Maybe, maybe not.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I think what is noticeable is the jump in price was quite sudden. I'm sure it was about a £100-£140 game for all of 2013 and 2014 , when I was still into Saturn, and then it jumped up last year and now seems to sell for over double that.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I instantly thought the same thing.

The port is worth owning for Saturn mode alone. Saturn mode isn't some little tacked on/gimmicky/easy mode like a lot of console exclusive modes either. It's gorgeous and you can hold the direction of your mech shot!

Yeah, Hyper Duel Saturn is awesome, Split442 hooked me up big time with that one. If I ever sell I'll ask him first in case he wants it back, it was that good of a deal and I'd only pass it on to the faithful.

hermosaguy

Geese's Thug
I've been getting back into Hyper Duel but the board. My Saturn is in for repair, so really appreciating the mechanics of it. Shame it never saw even a spiritual sequel, I love the art and design. I wouldn't mind seeing another game even an indie that borrows from its gameplay style.

I think what is noticeable is the jump in price was quite sudden. I'm sure it was about a £100-£140 game for all of 2013 and 2014 , when I was still into Saturn, and then it jumped up last year and now seems to sell for over double that.

It's one of the games i've wanted for a few years and I regret not buying it back in the day... now I see the price where it is now and I know it's one of those games i'll probably never own. The same is happening to a lot of Saturn games these days, especially US releases.. even Darius Gaiden which was a solid $30 like 2 years ago has blown up :(

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, I gave away some of my Saturn US fighters simply 'cause I got the JP ones and I wanted some pals to get into fighters to no avail.

2x Marvel SH
SF Alpha 2
Night Warrirors
X-Men CotA

I could have hanged on, sold them now and gotten me something sweet, damn fool that I am.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I need to bring this topic back up. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced hyper duel and elevator action returns. What's wrong with these people on eBay?!?!?! It's insane! That's crazy money for a game. Are people really paying these prices?

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
I need to bring this topic back up. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced hyper duel and elevator action returns. What's wrong with these people on eBay?!?!?! It's insane! That's crazy money for a game. Are people really paying these prices?

Yep. YouTube generation.

It pains me to think about what my Saturn collection (both US and JP) looked like three to five years ago, and what it would be worth now.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yep. YouTube generation.

It pains me to think about what my Saturn collection (both US and JP) looked like three to five years ago, and what it would be worth now.

Yeah..I was going to say, mostly fools.

However, if I didn't already own them, I'd still probably buy them today.