Game Gear black screen with white lines

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Haven't tried to play my Game Gear in forever, but put batteries in it tonight and discovered the screen is black with 1 or 2 white horizontal lines at the top. Just want to confirm that this needs a cap kit before I order/do one? Or is it some other problem? Thanks.

6bss663.jpg

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
more than likely caps. but you never know. open it up and check- thats my advice.

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
That's no caps problem, if I remember well there are some solder point to the side of the screen that heating the solder get rid of the lines. Just like the gameboy lines problems. But in the GG is not in the ribbon.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Update:
I can confirm that my problem was bad capacitors. I got in a cap kit today and replaced all 19 caps and that totally solved my system's issue. It's back in working order! ^_^

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Update:
I can confirm that my problem was bad capacitors. I got in a cap kit today and replaced all 19 caps and that totally solved my system's issue. It's back in working order! ^_^

Good to hear, another OG handheld saved.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's almost always the capacitors with the Game Gear, Lynx, and TurboExpress. I've read that Nintendo bought up all the high quality caps at the time for the original Game Boy, leaving cheap crappy scraps for the other handheld manufacturers to fight over.

I just had someone replace all the caps on my TurboExpress. It works perfectly now.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
That doesn't really sound like a correct reason... I think they just saved a buck during a time when surface-mount electrolytics were pretty volatile.

Redguard

New Challenger
Update:

Congrats on getting that Game Gear up and running properly.