SCART to HDMI/Component converters?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I got intrigued about these SCART to HDMI and SCART to Component converters DZ mentioned here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?264620-My-AES-is-HERE!&p=4007776&viewfull=1#post4007776
I am currently using a Samsung LED TV to play via composite (looks, like shit, but at least I can play). Would these converters do a better job? what about lag? would it be better to convert SCART to HDMI or Component in my case? any converter recommendation?

I searched and found these:

http://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-HDMI-converter-convert-connect/dp/B0092IAA3I

Thanks for any pointers on improving the video quality of my consoles (currently an AES, famicom, SNES, Sega Genesis, XBOX and PS1)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
The component one will not output sound out of the box, you need to probably mod it or another option, I forget to be honest. I use the HDMI one and it works well with the systems and TV I use.

Edit: let me elaborate. Some of those boxes are finicky. My first HDMI box didn't output RGB, it read the scart lead as AV and processed the signal as such. I returned it and got another which worked as I needed it to.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
I have that exact SCART to component converter, and while it looks really nice on a CRT TV. It looks like shit on a HDTV. You'll need to get yourself some sort of scaler such as a Framemeister for it to look good on an HDTV.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
As I said in the other thread, most HDTVs don't support 240p the the Neo will output via scart. If you want a bump in quality then get the scart to HDMI converter. It will introduce about 1 frame of lag, and if you say you can notice that you're lying.

If you want a top notch picture then you'll need an xrgb.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
That scart to HDMI unit isnt bad. I have one, no complaints.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I have that scary to hdmi upscale too. It works great with my psx, but the screen gets real shaky with Zelda on the snes when the screek scrooks left or right. I don't know much about these or if that is just how the snes is or maybe it's my cable.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
^^
Thanks for the video. I was on the fence on the cheaper units, but I'm sold now. To be fair, almost anything would be better than what I have now! :)

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I have the SCART to component one, and it works fine on my Panasonic Plasma.
Tested it with my MVS, CPS2, NGCD, Aero Fighters PCB, and Sunset Riders PCB.

I also tested it with my RGB N64, PC Engine, and Sega Saturn.

They all look just fine.
Modding in audio is trivial. Google a SCART pinout and just tap the audio and ground from the proper pins, and have it go out to some female RCA wires.

Oh, and the color might be off, but there are some pots inside to adjust the color balance.
Best way to do that is find a game that produces a solid white screen. I used the bootup of Seiken Densetsu 3 on my SNES.

Metlcub

n00b
I have the second one you linked, RGB to HDMI. I love it, you can out to 1024x768 and keep your aspect ration like it's supposed to be. I use it for my SNES, Saturn, Neo CD and AES.. Just remember with the RGB scart cables you got to make sure they are NTSC system compatible.. if not they will not work with the saturn, not sure about neo or snes.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I have the scart to component one shown and have had no issues. crisp image, no noticeable lag, looks great on HDTVs IMO.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thank you guys for all your help with this. I'll do my research on available models and get one when the money gets less tight. Also on SCART cables, because I've never seen one, because they are never used around here.

Metlcub

n00b
You will have to order the cables online, North America did not use Scart. I had to order mine from Poland. Just make sure you get ones that are compatible with NTSC systems, US/jpn. otherwise the NTSC system will go nuts and just not turn on.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Thank you guys for all your help with this. I'll do my research on available models and get one when the money gets less tight. Also on SCART cables, because I've never seen one, because they are never used around here.

The upscaler uses the Euro pinout, not JP21. Make sure when you're looking for cables that it's the right pinout to save you time and money