The real SFV thread -- No posers allowed

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
ggs, didn't know you got booted, fucking online blows here. All this beta and this shit is this cracked up

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
You know what I hate about V? How it feels pretty much free to jump in on someone. Just jump in, do like low jab twice, sMP, then jump over them again. It's hilariously good, because unless you have a srk reversal, your normals will either trade or get stuff to shit free. I hate that about V. I hate having to anticipate shit with my anti airs, feels like gambling at times. I don't wanna play any fighting game 100% on gambling my reads, and some chars have horrid anti airs. In my mind it might as well be 70 frames on normal punishes when someone jumps. I am a reaction player, it is why I like fighters. I like to see shit on visual confirmation and punish it. If I'm playing a game where I gotta just wager a normal with the notion they are gonna jump, it's stupid. You whiff that anti air, someone can take 50% of your life with some real easy combo. I do it to people all the time, I don't deserve those huge advantages for such minimal work. I mean, someone can work really hard, whiff a normal for a anti air, and I can ruin their entire round... It's stupid. V is literally a war for 'air to air'. Air to air SUCKS in V. The exception is air grabs, but if you don't have one, good luck.

Dhalsim breaks these rules, and it is why I win well with him over my Nash or others. There is so much stupid shit with frame traps up close. Feels like, instead of finding a comfortable answer to IV's problems, they took it to far and made pressure to damn good. Bison for example can take a variety of actions on lock down, I've found no answer to these types of long drawn out chippy pressures without wasting v skill. Vega's V meter, and Nash's are good. If Bison lands anything, your entire character glows purple giving him easy confirmations.. Shit is so meaty in V, it might as well be a full course steak meal in your face.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
You pretty much summed up my main gripe on SFV. Air is too free. Ryu's DP is a joke at start up. When you teleported behind with Dhalsim I'd say 70% of the time I knew it was coming, but I really didn't have a good punish for it. DP's are too slow, Crouching HP doesn't reach well. So, I'm usually left working the spacing front making it hard for you to set up the easy hit and even then it's a chore. I love the game, but fucking hell someone was afraid of shotos. Everybody has anti-fireball tech. Completely nerf DP's and make the frames for punishing anything super tight. It's like they wanted everyone to get pissed at shotos and pick someone else.

My problem is I've mained Ryu since 1992-1993 (whenever I got to practice him on SNES). I prefer keeping him. I could play Cammy right now, but I actually don't like playing her. The rest I want to dick around in Arcade mode whenever they decide to install it, but as of right now I don't like learning from scratch online because it's harder for me to get the timing down.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I'm having a hard time adjusting from 4 because 5 looks so similar.

I know that claw is good on V, I just can't seem to get his flow down...

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I don't really care. Did a session with a close friend last night and got destroyed, felt like I had zero options to punish his jumps. I hate V guys. I'll trade it outright for a bald mad catz te PS3 or HRAP 3. Hit me up.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ So, I'm curious, which character did he use? Btw I wouldn't jump the gun too fast. There's a good chance this will all get patched out when everybody keeps bitching. Cammy's DP has the right amount of start up time. I felt like I could go to McDonalds, order a cheeseburger, and come back and punish air attacks compared to Ryu's DP. So, it isn't like everyone in the game's air punish is shit. Considering this is a glorified beta anyways.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
It won't be, it's to deeply part of the engine. If they patched it, everyone would bitch further. It's just annoying as hell to have zero control over peoples dumb ass choices because the game rewards them. Lupe fiasco beat daigo for the same exact reason, he wasn't able to punish that guys jumps. That has to be what it is. If you are gonna make a street fighter where the entire god damn time I gotta stay past mid of a opponent in range to 'punish' things before a jump even visually shows, then screw it. IV may have been a boring game, but you couldn't blindly jump on someone. There was some respect there, same for ST, same for 3rd strike, same for alpha 2. ETC. Or I'll dominate with Dhalsim. And yes, Dhalsim can teleport slightly higher in front or behind and opponent with falling FP. So blindly mashing jab to knock him out can probably be modified to sim's advantage. I need to study it further. Dhalsim wins easily because he can abuse the engine. I gotta see long term though, so don't quote me on it.

Watch me in this match. I try to fundamentally answer this guy. I win this game, and I messed up my V trigger as I was still getting used to it, but watch how stupid it is during the entire match. Watch what happens about mid point of the video where I do a predictable jump in attack, he reads the jump in RH, and it doesn't matter, it TRADES anyways, even when he tried punishing me with cFP. The game is loaded with stupid pace shit like this.

When someone is jumping, and in mid arc, you absolutely should be able to punish them for it. This is a staple to all iterations of SF I've played competitively. EXCEPT V. God I love so much about V. Why is such a fundamentally important thing to have some comfort and pace control completely obliterated in it? In SFV when someone starts jumping on you, you better get ready to waste v meter to throw them the fuck off, because you're gonna be wasting it like crazy maintaining a defense since anti airs are flat out retarded. You can literally just cross someone up the entire game, do a little pressure, then repeat. You can bait people to death playing this way because anti air normals are to specific for things, or they just flat out don't work. I spent last night just trying to go air to air with a friend after he kept jumping and pressuring me. For bison, this shit is like free damage, he takes crazy white life, and if he touches you after, you lose a shitload. Like I said, he has stupid good hit confirms because you glow purple when he lands anything. Bison is the perfect character to abuse you with lock down.

V has way to much 50/50 gambling. It seems intentional to, because combos do straight up honest damage. I am lost on how to truly be a positional player. I end up saying 'fuck it', and just going for rush down all day since anti airs are so crazy specific. I love this game, but these nuances make it a a grueling chore to play. I keep thinking 'get the fuck off me, you didn't earn any of that predictable shit'. but nope, if you're gonna punish predictable 'shit', it has to be done ahead of time, thus making it a dice toss.. Currently, I have found no way to have a comfortable control of someones bad calls other then stupid stuff like guarding there predictable wake ups. I don't want to do stuff way ahead on read only either.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Again you bring up points that have me scratching my head as well. Watching Daigo struggle so futilely is sad. It tells me this game has severe flaws in it. The things I look at as the most detrimental is start up times for anti air and recovery times. Right now the DP's are ridiculous. When can you remember a game where one DP mid screen or further away caused an easy 50% punish every time? This is like someone throwing out a raw super kind of recovery time.

I'm not saying patching it will solve all the problems, but I kind of see something will be done. Chun Li can punish with D,HK and it has decent start up time and recovery, Cammy I covered before. I just think someone has to say wait..... Dhalsim can do what? I want to at least give it till EVO before I say fuck it. You might be right though and this might be a lost cause cause fixing one thing will probably just break another. I know my hands will appreciate a patch soon. The pole next to my arcade cabinet hurts to punch so much.

We're going to have to play some 3rd Strike soon to get the salt out from this. :)

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I don't really care. Did a session with a close friend last night and got destroyed, felt like I had zero options to punish his jumps. I hate V guys. I'll trade it outright for a bald mad catz te PS3 or HRAP 3. Hit me up.
Yeah compared to 4 with the focus option and especial 3s with parry, it does feel like there are less options. In this game, some frames of invincibility on back dash would be very welcomed.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
fuck lwk dood give it some time, I wanna play this with ya :(

but this time around I'm mad casual, I still practice combos and play to win.... but fuck tourneys, fuck hours of frustrating the shit out of myself playing randoms online.... just street fighter with friends for the most part.

I miss just playing with homies online and gatherings at my place and the arcade.... I don't really miss anything else about my fighting games addictions :)

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
It won't be, it's to deeply part of the engine. If they patched it, everyone would bitch further. It's just annoying as hell to have zero control over peoples dumb ass choices because the game rewards them. Lupe fiasco beat daigo for the same exact reason, he wasn't able to punish that guys jumps. That has to be what it is. If you are gonna make a street fighter where the entire god damn time I gotta stay past mid of a opponent in range to 'punish' things before a jump even visually shows, then screw it. IV may have been a boring game, but you couldn't blindly jump on someone. There was some respect there, same for ST, same for 3rd strike, same for alpha 2. ETC. Or I'll dominate with Dhalsim. And yes, Dhalsim can teleport slightly higher in front or behind and opponent with falling FP. So blindly mashing jab to knock him out can probably be modified to sim's advantage. I need to study it further. Dhalsim wins easily because he can abuse the engine. I gotta see long term though, so don't quote me on it.

Watch me in this match. I try to fundamentally answer this guy. I win this game, and I messed up my V trigger as I was still getting used to it, but watch how stupid it is during the entire match. Watch what happens about mid point of the video where I do a predictable jump in attack, he reads the jump in RH, and it doesn't matter, it TRADES anyways, even when he tried punishing me with cFP. The game is loaded with stupid pace shit like this.

When someone is jumping, and in mid arc, you absolutely should be able to punish them for it. This is a staple to all iterations of SF I've played competitively. EXCEPT V. God I love so much about V. Why is such a fundamentally important thing to have some comfort and pace control completely obliterated in it? In SFV when someone starts jumping on you, you better get ready to waste v meter to throw them the fuck off, because you're gonna be wasting it like crazy maintaining a defense since anti airs are flat out retarded. You can literally just cross someone up the entire game, do a little pressure, then repeat. You can bait people to death playing this way because anti air normals are to specific for things, or they just flat out don't work. I spent last night just trying to go air to air with a friend after he kept jumping and pressuring me. For bison, this shit is like free damage, he takes crazy white life, and if he touches you after, you lose a shitload. Like I said, he has stupid good hit confirms because you glow purple when he lands anything. Bison is the perfect character to abuse you with lock down.

V has way to much 50/50 gambling. It seems intentional to, because combos do straight up honest damage. I am lost on how to truly be a positional player. I end up saying 'fuck it', and just going for rush down all day since anti airs are so crazy specific. I love this game, but these nuances make it a a grueling chore to play. I keep thinking 'get the fuck off me, you didn't earn any of that predictable shit'. but nope, if you're gonna punish predictable 'shit', it has to be done ahead of time, thus making it a dice toss.. Currently, I have found no way to have a comfortable control of someones bad calls other then stupid stuff like guarding there predictable wake ups. I don't want to do stuff way ahead on read only either.

Why aren't you doing more normals for anti-air? The guy you were playing was really scrubby. Not to be mean but your spacing is really bad. Anyway, its a new game. Its only been out 2 weeks, you cant expect to be awesome in it without putting time into it. Right now im ass but i know that i haven't learned all the specific moves for my character. What beats what.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Nash has shit anti airs anyway. I noticed this when I was playing him. Reminded me of Cody in that regard. Wish he had Guile's ST c.FP.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Why aren't you doing more normals for anti-air? The guy you were playing was really scrubby. Not to be mean but your spacing is really bad. Anyway, its a new game. Its only been out 2 weeks, you cant expect to be awesome in it without putting time into it. Right now im ass but i know that i haven't learned all the specific moves for my character. What beats what.

Why am I not doing more normals? C'mon.. Normals don't work as a react to situation. This isn't ST or other shit.. You should realize you have to anticipate it with a punish. I can tell you guys right now from my experience with V that mid jumps are to damn fast for normal punishes. On any realistic level, it will be gamble reads at mid. You can check out match videos. If people jumped on me in this manner in my 3rd strike or st game, they'd adequately pay for it. Its just this mid jumping. Far jumping punishes work good, but even they feel weirder.

I'll fuck with V. No doubt, do I think it's stupid as hell how rewarding being aggressive is with no legitimate planning other then being mid? Hell yes I do. I've placed in so cal tourneys, and the competition is insane down here, so I get how fighting games work, at least on a decent enough level to slap a game together. The problem is I hate how fucking slow normal start up feels in comparison to fast as hell jumps. I feel like I'm under water when I see a jump in's and I hit a button to punish it. Only to get hit outright, or trade. This is unlike any other sf iteration.. This is the core issue of what I hate about V. If people disagree with me, have at it, go spend a good chunk of time playing others and try to stop their jumps with normals that work in every other street fighter. Or just guard all day and waste v meter to get them out and run the hell out.

I know I know, I need to stop bitching. I'll try adapting to all the changes, I'll get better over time.

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Best anti airs seem to be air to airs for me sometimes.

So who wants to play?

Daigo let lupe win.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The problem with Daigo wasn't Lupe. It's all the other videos he's steaming struggling. Those I don't think he's jobbing on.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Played a set of games with LWK. Can see what he's talking about. Jumping seems way too safe. I never felt like I was in any danger of being punished. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Best anti airs seem to be air to airs for me sometimes.

So who wants to play?

Daigo let lupe win.

Daigo didn't. He lost that, I thought that to originally. He was pissed at the end, look at the look of disgust in his face towards the end.

Yeah wes, isn't karin fun? I think she's the safest I've found in this environment. I would never use a character like her, but now I might. That low forward/low strong.. Good lord are those great. guys, i'm running a 1258 room, join in and get annoyed with me.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Shit if there's going to be people playing here around 3A.M. central time I might check in on my lunch breaks. I need to get whooped on some more.

Playing this morning. Went to get on steam and got booted off once again but this time I couldn't get back on. PS4 seems to work but hardly anybody on right now. Wonder if something's up.

Last edited:

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Shit if there's going to be people playing here around 3A.M. central time I might check in on my lunch breaks. I need to get whooped on some more.

Playing this morning. Went to get on steam and got booted off once again but this time I couldn't get back on. PS4 seems to work but hardly anybody on right now. Wonder if something's up.

My weekends start on Thursday night now, I was up late playing rankeds last night

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Double post incoming, and I need to get this off my chest. FUCK capcom fighting network. Why does it have to be that annoying where you need to log into this stuff to do what the PS4 can easily do without capcom's dick in the chip dip? It wouldn't be a big issue if it didnt log me off when I went to my dash to check messages from friends, but it's such a pain. I keep getting these 40002 errors. Driving me nuts, because it takes forever to get a match, and then it crashes out. Capcom wants to establish its own network for this stuff to our detriment. This isn't helping the experience for me so far. Maybe next patch.