AES component modded shadow issue.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Woops, please move to neo support.

Im looking into a component modded aes, with universe BIOS, from member Jon, hopefully he will chime In soon, with a better description. He says his aes which is component modded has a weird shadow issue, and possibly a sound issue. I would likely just use this console for Rgb, so we are going to test that later. Just want to know if anyone has heard of weird shadow issues on component modded aes systems. Or have ideas what it could be.

We live about 1.5 hours apart, so I would like to rule out any issues to troubleshoot at his place.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Allright bump here. I checked Jon's unit out today. The issue went from shadow issue which I have yet to see, to an all black and white video output issue. This is a low serial console #017899, USA region. Unibios installed, and component S-Video mod. This is the 5v 3ma PSU version. There is also a reset led.

I have tried multiple component cables, and televisions. I have been unable to try composite, as I have no cable, or S-Video, as noone of my televisions have a S-Video input.

I did some research, and I am thinking it could be the cartridge slots, but they look clean. No bends, or corrosion, or the crystal.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Do you have an rgb display you can test on? Or another component transcoder?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Black and white on an LCD usually indicates that the sync rate isn't liked by the TV. If the LCD displays a black and white picture it means it will accept a 240p source but requires a good 60hz rate for proper colorsystem which is a common problem with 1st gen AES units.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Well shit. I do not have rgb cables for Neo Geo. But I do have them for duo. Actually I have rgb and av duo cables. Would those work? I heard two console video cables fit the Neo, but one will fry it. I do have an xrgb, and plenty of other rgb cables.

Do Genesis ones fit? I have model one and two rgb.

Oh, the rgb cables I have are euro scart for all my consoles if that works. Not sure.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Genesis composite cables will fit no problem as the lower half is the same. The top half of the connector is a different shape though. Genesis uses a 262 degree 8 pin din socket while the Neo uses a 270 degree. You can force fit a genesis RGB cable in but you could crack the AV socket plastic on the Neo doing that.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
OK, so some progress today. I decided to try and hook this up to my xrgb via component. Colors work now, and I was able to see this shadow issue. It doesn't look terrible, in fact I never would have even noticed, had I not been told something was up.

After watching a few youtube videos, it appears that shadows should be solid black. The shadows on this console are almost transparent gray, and constantly flicker. I tried to get a video, but the camera just shows them as solid. So I am not sure where to go from here.

I also noticed, that the sound sounds a bit rough, on the voice overs, especially in the beginning of samurai shodown 1, or other games with intros where there is talking. Not sure if this is normal on an aes. Maybe i'm just use to playing mvs on a supergun.

Also, one last thing, maybe I should post this in the xrgb thread too, the colors are way over saturated, especially blue. I tried to go in the xrgb settings and change them, as they are all set to the max (50). But it will not let me lower the values. Is there a way to change color saturation on the xrgb in component?