New to the NGPC system: tips? price check? resources?

ifkz

n00b
Last night I was very surprised to find two loose Neo Geo Pocket Color games at my local Half Priced books. I bought Metal Slug 1st Mission and KOF R2. Now I need to track down a system! Does anyone have pricing guidance for 2016? They seem to start at $75 at auction which seems a tad high.

I am brand new to the handheld, are there any tips? I know it is region free, but that's it. Links? Resources? Memories of how great it was in the early 00's?

(...I apologize if this is a bad section for the post...)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Last night I was very surprised to find two loose Neo Geo Pocket Color games at my local Half Priced books. I bought Metal Slug 1st Mission and KOF R2. Now I need to track down a system! Does anyone have pricing guidance for 2016? They seem to start at $75 at auction which seems a tad high.

I am brand new to the handheld, are there any tips? I know it is region free, but that's it. Links? Resources? Memories of how great it was in the early 00's?

(...I apologize if this is a bad section for the post...)

That's very high, they can usually be had from around $40. There's also a NGPC thread somewhere in the handheld section that gets occasional updates.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
It's an amazing little handheld and congrats on those 2 games.

I haven't bought a system in a while but I would say $65 w/ some loose games would be a fair deal. Make sure you get a color version and not a black and white one.

Some recommendations:
Baseball Stars
SvC: Match of the Millenium
Faselei
Neo Cup '98
Pocket Tennis Color

If you are ok with loose games then you can get a good amount of games for pretty cheap.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
This is the right section for NGPC discussion.

All but a few of the games that came out in the US should be available loose for around $12 or less. ggallegos is right, try to find a loose system in the $40 range. A better bet would probably trying to find a lot with some games.

In addition to what Colorado Rockie recommended, I'd also suggest immediately looking out for Neo Turf Masters and Card Fighters Clash. (either version - they tried to do the pokemon thing) Pretty much all of the puzzle games and fighters are great, you can't go wrong with any of those.

ifkz

n00b
Thanks members! I just finished reading all 8 pages of the official thread and it was helpful. I will add a new search for a system or a bundle, the mentioned price guidance helps too. Looks like I am a little late to the party, but better late than never, right?

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I'm still working on our ngpc site, kind of a home for all things ngpc. Right now it's hosted at .tk. Neogeoplanet.tk it's only ngpc.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I'm still working on our ngpc site, kind of a home for all things ngpc. Right now it's hosted at .tk. Neogeoplanet.tk it's only ngpc.

Oh wow, had no idea there was a NGPC-only site out there. Looks good, Wynd - thanks for posting that.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah I'm glad to be a fan of that wonderful hand held I too gonna have to reget it again probably when I'm done with my Dreamcast collection.

Was wondering if some one can answer 2 questions for me.

1. I am importing a Japanese system and was wosnering if when it boots if I am going to be able to read the menus. I know there is a way to default it to English but does any one know how or where I can find an online instructions on the system??

2. I been told by a few sellers that games that are Japanese in some cases will play in English.. Is this true?? Is there a list some where of what games will play in English??

Thank you for your time
Brian

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Was wondering if some one can answer 2 questions for me.

1. I am importing a Japanese system and was wosnering if when it boots if I am going to be able to read the menus. I know there is a way to default it to English but does any one know how or where I can find an online instructions on the system??

2. I been told by a few sellers that games that are Japanese in some cases will play in English.. Is this true?? Is there a list some where of what games will play in English??

Thank you for your time
Brian

It's easy to change the system language, you won't have a problem. It's mostly the text heavy games that will not play in English.

The Japanese version of these Europe/US released games will not play in English:
-Biomotor Unitron
-Cotton [just the story; menus are English]
-Dive Alert Becky's Version
-Dive Alert Matt's Version
-Evolution
-Faselei!
-Gals' Fighters [it is not overly difficult to learn the Japanese menus]
-Last Blade [it is not overly difficult to learn the Japanese menus]
-Magical Drop Pocket [it is not overly difficult to learn the Japanese menus]
-Picture Puzzle [it is not overly difficult to learn the Japanese menus]
-Pocket Reversi [it is not overly difficult to learn the Japanese menus]
-SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash Capcom Version