Rumor: New Samurai Shodown game on the way.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Well there you go.

http://cyberfanatix.com/2016/02/12/rumor-samurai-shodown-vii-and-anime-adaptation-in-2017/

CbCUNiVW0AAXG6U.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
might be a mayor troll as well ^^

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'll get excited once I see some actual screenshots or some beta footage. Let's hope for the best.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Interesting, anything can happen I guess. For now it's back to the classics.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I'll wait for the final graphics of KOFXIV - I'm a huge fan of drawn 2D sprites and what I saw so far makes me cringe rather than look forward to the game. (so I'd expect the same from a new SS)

Fygee

20 Year Member
Should it come to fruition, I think that the style of graphics used for SF4 and 5, or even Okami would work well with a 3D Samurai Shodown. The Japanese oil paint style and effects were used by it in 2D form in the later games, particularly SSVS, and they look great. Still, you'd need some talented 3D artists to make it work.

Of course, that's all just shooting for the moon since this rumor was pretty much squashed by Oda. Another game is inevitable, but clearly they're not ready to announce anything yet, assuming its even being worked on it all, which I doubt. They'll probably get KOF XIV out the door and then move forward with this.

On a slight tangent, I wouldn't mind seeing Sam Sho characters in a KOEI musou game, perhaps the next Warriors Orochi whenever that gets made. Wouldn't be a bad way to get some licensing dollars and exposure either.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
Should it come to fruition, I think that the style of graphics used for SF4 and 5, or even Okami would work well with a 3D Samurai Shodown. The Japanese oil paint style and effects were used by it in 2D form in the later games, particularly SSVS, and they look great. Still, you'd need some talented 3D artists to make it work.

It would look great indeed.

They'll probably get KOF XIV out the door and then move forward with this.

Maybe they'll use the same team who made KoF in their next project... I don't think they'd invest in 2 big games concurrently

On a slight tangent, I wouldn't mind seeing Sam Sho characters in a KOEI musou game, perhaps the next Warriors Orochi whenever that gets made. Wouldn't be a bad way to get some licensing dollars and exposure either.

SamSho's universe would fit really well in a musou game.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I hope they retain the M rating with this one, but I doubt. SS6 /Tenka was too light-hearted for me.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Is everyone pretending this is still happening or are you guys not reading the thread?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Is everyone pretending this is still happening or are you guys not reading the thread?

I think its inevitable that it will happen, but obviously the rumor I posted from Hadoken is fake and the game currently isn't in production.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I think its inevitable that it will happen

Hmmm....you think? I am by no means certain that we will ever see "Samurai Shodown" again, nor "Fatal Fury" nor "Last Blade"...

Fygee

20 Year Member
Hmmm....you think? I am by no means certain that we will ever see "Samurai Shodown" again, nor "Fatal Fury" nor "Last Blade"...

Aside from KOF and Metal Slug, its the only other SNKP franchise to get any love since the Neo-Geo was retired.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i look forward to not playing this game on iOS and Android or Pachinko...

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I just want something hand drawn. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get anything anywhere even close to the quality of SS2&3, especially not in 1080p. Could you even imagine something like that, with animation quality rivaling MOTW?

Fygee

20 Year Member
I just want something hand drawn. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get anything anywhere even close to the quality of SS2&3, especially not in 1080p. Could you even imagine something like that, with animation quality rivaling MOTW?

Not going to happen. Drawing the KOF XII/XIII sprites was a monumental task that required four times as many pixels as the Neo sprites, and they clearly weren't close to being 1920 x 1080 resolution. They'd need a huge staff with a lot of talent and patience to make that work at all.

When and if it ever happens, I think they would be able to emulate the art style of the 2D games in 3D very effectively, given the right art team.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Guilty Gear Xrd already opened the door to what's possible in making something look 2d, but for some reason I don't see it happening till games like Mark of the Wolves 2 or Last Blade 3 ever get made.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Good point. Guilty gear does look really good, I would not mind a kof, SS or last blade game done up in that style. I'm still waiting on the final look of kof though. Seems to be getting better

Fygee

20 Year Member
Its way too anime for me. It looks great for Guilty Gear as that's its art style, but it would be a bad fit for pretty much every SNK game. The bells and whistles it has in terms of how super moves are done and such would still be nice.

Samurai Shodown needs to have that classic, old era Japanese look to it.

Qcf+lp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I hope "probably fake" turns out to be wrong and that there really is a new Samurai Shodown game in development, won't hold my breath though.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
I'd prefer some beautiful modern 2D, the potential is huge. but i'll gladly take a polygon version too. any new samurai shodown is good news!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I wouldn't want a game to look like GGXrd, but the idea of a game continuing the evolution of amazing 2d style graphics that were started with SFIII, Last Blade, and Garou is something I crave the most. I like Guilty Gear, but it's always the game I binge on and throw to the side until I feel like bingeing on it again.