Rumor: New Samurai Shodown game on the way.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Heavy emphasis on the word "rumor" here as the article only claims "our sources" as its source of information.

If true, the game would be out in 2017 and would follow KOF 14's path of 3D graphics and 2D gameplay.

http://hadoken.net/samurai-shodown-revival/

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Let's stay positive that it won't be handled by the people behind the X360 game.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
about damn time. Man I really really hope this is true.

also damn SS Sen was 8 years ago!? Thats way too big of an absence.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
In terms of art style, I find SS Sen the most fitting for the series since SS2. The Hyper 64 games were very nice too. I never had the SS feel with the 2D games after SS2.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
In terms of art style, I find SS Sen the most fitting for the series since SS2. The Hyper 64 games were very nice too. I never had the SS feel with the 2D games after SS2.

Wow really? I thought SS64 looked like complete shit, just like every other 64bit game. I didnt mind the graphics of Sen, but man did it play like ass.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Interesting. But I'll not get my hopes up until the new KOF comes out. Well see how good it is and does with sales.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
samurai shodown 2 is a beautiful looking game, but i personally thought that samurai shodown 4 looked amazing and did justice to the anime movies the games were based on.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
3D simply does not age well at all.

The hyper games looked great in 1999. Now they look like Tohshinden.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Too bad they won't consider using the techniques used in KOFXIII, that would be amazing.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I just hope it doesn't have the faggy atmosphere of tenka or the blandness of 5.

If the mood is anything like asura zanmaden mixed with ss3 I'll be all over it....especially if they bring back my little homie kuroko.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Too bad they won't consider using the techniques used in KOFXIII, that would be amazing.
I get the impression they killed themselves making that game, even using the KOF12-as-a-paid-beta trick to bail themselves out. I'm not a fan of 3D, but I do hope that SNKP manages to find an easier way to make games that hold their own in today's market. SNK did their best work back when they had a varied group of titles coming out every year and didn't have to spend years grinding out a single, can't-miss dream-match. They need to find a process that makes gamemaking easy enough that they can afford to take risks and be creative again.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I second that!!
Are you also a (proud) Xbone owner ? Man, MS should do something about this new SNKP and give them some benefits to get a port of their games...

Yeah proud Xbone owner here :) We are getting screwed with the SFV debacle and missing out on the new KOF too.

I guess it's back to DOA5 and waiting for MKXL...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
To the xbone people, if all the games you want to play are coming to PS4...Why not just get a PS4?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
To the xbone people, if all the games you want to play are coming to PS4...Why not just get a PS4?

Because not all the games I want to play are on PS4. I was just highlighting that it would be great if I didnt have to shell out for another current gen console (that I dont want or like) just to play some new style Neo games that are all a big unknown.

The SFV exclusivity hurts as does the Justice Gods Among Us absence. The knife to the heart for me was the Bayonetta 2 Nintendo exclusivity. What.In.The.Hell.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
The other part of this "rumor" mentions a Samurai Spirits anime that covers the events of the Neo games. That little detail makes this whole thing sound like a pipedream, although I'm sure a 2.5-D SamSpi is coming eventually. It's the next logical release, outside of fan-favorite Neo games getting netplay-ready Steam and PS4 releases.

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
It's like picking a side and stay on it. I've chose The xbox side.
Unlike xb74 , I have nothing against Nintendo so I bought a Wii U as well :P (Even though I don't buy any games for it...)

The other part of this "rumor" mentions a Samurai Spirits anime that covers the events of the Neo games. That little detail makes this whole thing sound like a pipedream, although I'm sure a 2.5-D SamSpi is coming eventually. It's the next logical release, outside of fan-favorite Neo games getting netplay-ready Steam and PS4 releases.

Someone posted a news about KoF getting a new anime as well (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-2016-on-PS4&p=3988854&viewfull=1#post3988854).
It's good to see they're, once again, expanding their franchises to other media

Last edited:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Because not all the games I want to play are on PS4. I was just highlighting that it would be great if I didnt have to shell out for another current gen console (that I dont want or like) just to play some new style Neo games that are all a big unknown.

The SFV exclusivity hurts as does the Justice Gods Among Us absence. The knife to the heart for me was the Bayonetta 2 Nintendo exclusivity. What.In.The.Hell.

i pick the xbox one over the ps4 almost purely for the controller. and also halo.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
This would be really great news if true! The more SNK, the better....even if it's not in 2D.

Too bad "Fatal Fury" is too low profile to ever get this treatment....but still, nice to hear.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'm sure KoFXIV and this, assuming it's real, will wind up on PC, where you can use the Xbox One controller, the Dual Shock 4, the Wii U Pro Controller, the Steam Controller, or essentially anything else you may prefer.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
This would be really great news if true! The more SNK, the better....even if it's not in 2D.

Too bad "Fatal Fury" is too low profile to ever get this treatment....but still, nice to hear.

in a way, i'm glad they're not doing a fatal fury game. king of fighters has been a title that snk have experimented with for many years. so if they fuck it up, who cares?,they have fucked kof titles up before. we just push it to a side and play the good ones. where as fatal fury has always had a solid main series. so if these noob developers mess up a fatal fury game, it will be a bad stain on the fatal fury franchise.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
3D simply does not age well at all.

The hyper games looked great in 1999. Now they look like Tohshinden.

I dunno, in 1999 I had a computer with a 3DFX card and a Dreamcast. Those H64 games looked pretty rough to me compared to what I had at home.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
http://cyberfanatix.com/2016/02/12/rumor-samurai-shodown-vii-and-anime-adaptation-in-2017/

UPDATE: KOF XIV’s lead producer, Yasuyuki Oda, posted a message in Facebook DENYING the SS7 rumor.

CbCUNiVW0AAXG6U.jpg