Rumor: New Samurai Shodown game on the way.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You too Ollie, fuck him for bumping a thread that died three months ago with no new evidence of a SS being worked on.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
You too Ollie, fuck him for bumping a thread that died three months ago with no new evidence of a SS being worked on.

Samurai Shodown V Special: Final Edition was complete enough to have a loketest. It still kills me to this day that the final Neo Geo release never got released but physically exists.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
physically exists.
do we know that for certain? It might have been on a proto cart and died :oh_no:

Wouldn't SNKP have made some bucks of it otherwise? Like released it on Steam or sth...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
do we know that for certain? It might have been on a proto cart and died :oh_no:

Wouldn't SNKP have made some bucks of it otherwise? Like released it on Steam or sth...

Yuki actually owned the rights to Samurai Shodown at the time, so I think SNK would have to aquire the game directly from them due to IP issues.The proto cart wouldn't be that old, I have very little doubts that it's dead or has any bit rot.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

You got me there, hands in the cookie jar, with a nice and clean cut... feels like a treat these days.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

NTM will find it online in about seven years and release it here to much rejoicing.

xsq

Haven't played it...only ever played 1-5. Doesn't seem like I'm missing much though.
play the games that are out before you cry for a new one. That goes for Sen, too - you'll see then that not "any new samurai shodown is good news".

So: What LoneSage said.

Thanks to ResO for the insight!

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
No idea why they're making a new one. Didn't the last few bomb pretty hard? They just need to give people what they want and make Garou 2 already. Then once that's out, everyone will probably start complaining about Garou 3 or another MS platformer rather than tower defense ones they're making now.

xsq

Is there such a strong following of MOTW? I don't really think a lot of people (like, masses) remember that game. KOF and SamSho were much more influential and recognized. KOF stayed alive as a franchise, Garou didn't.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Is there such a strong following of MOTW? I don't really think a lot of people (like, masses) remember that game. KOF and SamSho were much more influential and recognized. KOF stayed alive as a franchise, Garou didn't.

That's a very interesting thought.

Fact is tho, that the whole series itself is up there with KoF & SS and for many (yes, they do come in bulks) both Specials & MotW are the most memorable, popular & finest. Maybe if you never heard of a Neo-Geo, respectively never had one, then I could imagine, the other two series dominating your memories.

But still, Fatal Fury is Neo's most prominent versus fighting ambassador and Terry its most prominent embodiment, and, as it also happens, featured in every part. The logical progression in one's train of thought being from Terry to Fatal Fury to Mark of the Wolves is quite assured. Also the fact, that MotW always gets mentioned whenever the Street Fighter 3 series is played, broadens it's recognition.

One could even go further and, in a very provocative manner, question the popularity of weapon based fighters, Capcom never did one (Plasma Sword shouldn't count here), thus question the memorability of SS & Co versus FF, i.e. MotW. One could also say, that KoF is "merely" a best of compilation, made to advertise other SNK games, thus making them more recognizable, than its own brand and just to reiterate: Terry is more popular than Kyo and his whole Kusanagi clan.

Anyway, bottom line is, your assumption would be at least arguable.

xsq

I see your point, well put. KOF did incorporated Terry though. And I would still think that KOF is the series that has the highest recognition as a "franchise" - especially since it's been so long since the last FF title. On the other hand, entries from the FF series were included in the Humble Bundles and on steam, so it's obvious people do care for them.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Garou MOTW has a pretty dedicated niche fanbase though. It's like Cave shooters, not for the masses but extremely loved.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
play the games that are out before you cry for a new one. That goes for Sen, too - you'll see then that not "any new samurai shodown is good news".

So: What LoneSage said.

Thanks to ResO for the insight!

Fair enough! Honestly though, I love most of the SNK fighters I've played, even if it's not ALL of them. I would expect SNK to bring it hard in 2016 with any new fighter, even if some of the past ones have been considered to be shit. Maybe that's naïve, maybe it's cuz I'm a fucking noob..who knows. Either way it's not like there are a lot of new SNK games coming out all the time, so any time a new one gets announced it's still exciting.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

If you're going by players on fightcade MOTW is probably the busiest non KOF game on there. Though as it has been stated MOTW is not as well known by the casual gamer but in all honesty 3rd Strike wasn't either till it got an online scene on OG XB and PC (also the Daigo parry helped a bunch). Personally if made right I think MOTW 2 would sell better then a new Samurai Shodown game.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Hope it's much better than that 360 one. Ouch.

You hope WHAT is better?

If I was a mod, I'd give you and moltomolto 48 hours to provide proof of a new ss game (for bumping this dead thread based on a lie) and then ban you from the marketplace permanently when you couldn't find any.