Earlier build of Last Resort?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I have a few doubles of some carts. Might sac one just to see if I can get one to work. I'll share pics and jumper settings etc if I get it to work
Would be cooler if you'd use a cart that has already been saced (like a boot)...

Also echoing the thanks to BBH for highlighting the differences!

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Would be cooler if you'd use a cart that has already been saced (like a boot)...

Also echoing the thanks to BBH for highlighting the differences!

Good point. I have a Puzzle De Pon boot that I could try. It's full of MX flash chips and EPROMs so I know it's already been sac'd :(

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Good point. I have a Puzzle De Pon boot that I could try. It's full of MX flash chips and EPROMs so I know it's already been sac'd :(

Yep, boot is the way to go if you can. I'd like to see it if you pull it off.

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Yep, boot is the way to go if you can. I'd like to see it if you pull it off.

Upon further investigation, I also have a boot of Puzzled (why on earth would you boot Puzzled?!?!?) that I can use. It will give me the right PROG board at least. The CHA board will be interesting though. I've never seen that one before. I'm hoping I can use the CHA256 from the PDP boot to get it to work. The trouble with using the CHA32 is that I'm not sure if the Z80 latching is done the same way with the LSXXX's as it would be with the NEO-ZMC. I should be able to just double up the image for the C-Roms and use 27c800's.

Forgive my ignorance to some of this. I'm still in the process of getting the cartridge stuff figured out.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Upon further investigation, I also have a boot of Puzzled (why on earth would you boot Puzzled?!?!?) that I can use. It will give me the right PROG board at least. The CHA board will be interesting though. I've never seen that one before. I'm hoping I can use the CHA256 from the PDP boot to get it to work. The trouble with using the CHA32 is that I'm not sure if the Z80 latching is done the same way with the LSXXX's as it would be with the NEO-ZMC. I should be able to just double up the image for the C-Roms and use 27c800's.

Forgive my ignorance to some of this. I'm still in the process of getting the cartridge stuff figured out.

Don't worry about me. You've got more knowledge about this than I do.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Alright, going to be doing a side-by-side comparison stream of the two versions on my channel in roughly half an hour. If you miss it, no biggie, I'll be uploading it to youtube later too.

http://www.twitch.tv/lordbbh

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Uploaded the video:

One thing I forgot to talk about is what I think about this prototype version overall compared to the final. I will say that this prototype is an interesting look at this game's development - we can see a game that is playable from beginning to end, but the overall gameplay balance is worse. I feel like the first stage is harder entirely because of those annoying enemies that materialize in and take mulitple shots to kill, it feels like an area that would kill off a lot of players playing the game for the first time (I lost a life there on the first try because I didn't even see one of them materaizing in on the bottom of the screen where I was). And then the parts halfway through stage 4, and the asteroid rush in stage 5 are obnoxiously difficult compared to everything else in the game. I think pretty much every aspect they ended up changing in the final version was for the better and made it a better game overall. So while I don't really see much reason to continue to play this prototype version after you've been through it once, I am very glad it was found and preserved. Hopefully some of those other possible prototypes of early Neo-Geo releases are dumped and shared too.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Uploaded the video:

One thing I forgot to talk about is what I think about this prototype version overall compared to the final. I will say that this prototype is an interesting look at this game's development - we can see a game that is playable from beginning to end, but the overall gameplay balance is worse. I feel like the first stage is harder entirely because of those annoying enemies that materialize in and take mulitple shots to kill, it feels like an area that would kill off a lot of players playing the game for the first time (I lost a life there on the first try because I didn't even see one of them materaizing in on the bottom of the screen where I was). And then the parts halfway through stage 4, and the asteroid rush in stage 5 are obnoxiously difficult compared to everything else in the game. I think pretty much every aspect they ended up changing in the final version was for the better and made it a better game overall. So while I don't really see much reason to continue to play this prototype version after you've been through it once, I am very glad it was found and preserved. Hopefully some of those other possible prototypes of early Neo-Geo releases are dumped and shared too.

Nice work BBH dude...

xROTx

PS. You have Jedi skills... BUT masked by a weird 'murikan voice... You will NOT be in the Next Star Wars film...