Gamate discussion

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
It's weird to see a GiG marked product from a US member, because GiG was located in my municipality (Sesto Fiorentino, FI), and I knew the son of the CeO when I was a kid.

Probably they supported the Gamate for one year or so on, because they became official distributor for Nintendo in 1992 (after Mattel in the NES era).
I've tried the Gamate just one time in my life, but now I'm curious... maybe GiG sent to the junkyard tons of unrealesed titles...
Now their hq is occupied by shady activities, it's a sort of chinatown...

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I had one of these back in the day.

It was a retarded deal (on my part), but I swapped my SMS with a dude in school for his Gamate. I'd seen him playing it previously and was sold on the Arkanoid title he had with it. I was also n receipt of that fake Bomberman game too and some other bits I can't recall.

I actually liked it at the time though...

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Great information ResO, thanks! I went through most (if not all) of your material (forums, website, etc.). I remember this "thing" back when I was a kid! first time I saw it was in an old video games magazine. I remember myself saying "what a piece of crap, I will never get one...". But I was wrong, I recently ordered one and I cant wait for it - darn it ;D

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I seem to remember wanting Vindicators. Was it any good on the Gamate?

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Just remember that bit corp releases are like Atari games on steroids, and the UMC/Funtech/Gamtec later gen games are quite playable. Adventures of Hannibal the Cat & Insect War are two WONDERFUL horizontal shmups. Kiki Island holds it's own to the Adventure Island games on GB, Fantasy Travel is a cute and fun platformer, Flying Goblin is like Gargoyles quest minus the RPG aspects & One Million Whys is an interesting little trivia RPG. IDK, just gotta play all the games and find the gems. ^^

Which console did you buy? eBay?

eBay, it was boxed and in mint condition. Still waiting.

Thanks again for the info, the real adventure will start after I receive it. The UMC/Funtech/Gamtec later gen games are nowhere to be found ;[

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
Hehe, that's it yes. I can imagine... Well as long as they will not seriously fuck it is OK. I will probably have it tomorrow. Hmm, I did not know that the baggie is sealed. Sealed or not I bought it to play it :) Sacrilege, I know. The guy was very flexible, communicative and helpful btw. A pleasure to do business with him so far.

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
You can't open it. Someone sold a dead mint used console on AtariAge for $400. You should hold onto it, you got a freakin' steal.

I just received it! Everything is in great condition. The baggie is not factory sealed though, it is just tightly closed on the side with sellotape. I don't think their baggies were ever factory sealed.

Galder

Crossed Swords Squire
The games, console box, (& yes, console baggie) are just sealed shut with tape.

Right. I just found and ordered Dino Bibo, lol. Looks cool but I can't find a video anywhere, just a few screenies. Have you played it?

Res0, we have been working for some years now to collect and dump games for MESS project. I would hope if you could contact me directly regarding your collection. Please let me know, we are gamate enthusiastic and our concern is the last of the rare ones will go to bitrot before they are dumped.