Neo Geo CDZ lost S-Video output

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I've had a Neo Geo CDZ for several years, and I've always connected it to my TV with S-Video cables. Today I went to fire it up like normal, but the TV tells me there's no signal. Composite RCA still works correctly, and I've tried two different S-Video cables with no success.

Before I look into repair options, is there a way I can confirm operation of the S-video port with a multimeter? Anything else I should check while I'm at it? I tested continuity of the S-video cable pins with my meter and they checked out.

This might finally be the excuse I need to go Framemeister and RGB...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check continutity of the S-video cable to the internal pins of the S-video connector on the system then trace it back. If you have 100% continuity from output end of the S-video cable to the S-video socket on the system then check the two resistors and caps on the chroma/luma output from the encoder.

Also test another S-video source to make sure it isn't the TV.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Check continutity of the S-video cable to the internal pins of the S-video connector on the system then trace it back. If you have 100% continuity from output end of the S-video cable to the S-video socket on the system then check the two resistors and caps on the chroma/luma output from the encoder.

Also test another S-video source to make sure it isn't the TV.

Problem is resolved. The culprit is that I'm an idiot and forgot that S-Video is tucked away in a hidden submenu on the input list of my television.

Great advice though Xian Xi. Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else in the future.