What do each of the Metal Slugs do best?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Instead of "Which one is the best?", let's ask which ones excel in certain areas.

Pace of play, bosses, music, controls, level design - you name it and give a few examples, and send me your girlfriend's nudes. Thanks in advance.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I think overall MS1 is the best to just pick up and play, even if you're not going for score or a 1CC. It never gets old, even the little details that add nothing to the scoring or gameplay are still fun to see.

MS2 is best at slowing down so people who suck at games can get higher scores.

MSX, IMO, offers a great challenge and plenty of secrets. MSX is the only one I regularly play where I avoid power ups and using slugs just to get a higher score.

MS3, for as much as I crap on it due to the last stage, has excellent artwork, plenty of different slugs and enemies and of course the multiple paths.

MS4, I can't think of anything it does better than any of the other games. Truly.

MS5, the soundtrack is by far the best of any Slug game IMO.

MS6, the fact that the characters have different abilities adds a lot to the gameplay. Also, Donkey Slug!

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
I think overall MS1 is the best to just pick up and play, even if you're not going for score or a 1CC. It never gets old, even the little details that add nothing to the scoring or gameplay are still fun to see.

MS2 is best at slowing down so people who suck at games can get higher scores.

MSX, IMO, offers a great challenge and plenty of secrets. MSX is the only one I regularly play where I avoid power ups and using slugs just to get a higher score.

MS3, for as much as I crap on it due to the last stage, has excellent artwork, plenty of different slugs and enemies and of course the multiple paths.

MS4, I can't think of anything it does better than any of the other games. Truly.

MS5, the soundtrack is by far the best of any Slug game IMO.

MS6, the fact that the characters have different abilities adds a lot to the gameplay. Also, Donkey Slug!
+1
I agree to everything and would like to add that the MS2 has the best and most inspired bosses in the series

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
The best Metal Slug for coop is Metal Slug 3 since it has alsmost no slowdown whatsoever.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
So much unwarranted hate for 4.

First, Mega developed 4, and SNK didn't exist, SNKP published the game.

Second, 4 utilizes grunts more than any other Slug game save for Slug 1. It is in a lot of ways more Metal Slug than Metal Slug 3.

Third, 4 has a unique chain scoring system that adds a shmups element to the run and gun gameplay.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
1, the best game, overall, bar none. Not an SNK game.

2, best at introducing a mild storyline, adding secrets beyond hidden hostages.

X, best at ruining everything 2 did right except slowdown.

3, best at ruining Metal Slug.

4, decent for what it was which is essentially a mugen Korean Metal Slug, scoring system.

5, decent concepts, unfinished execution, slide.

6, contra weapon selection, didn't play this much.

7, have not played

Advance, 1st Mission, 2nd Mission, too different from the arcade games to compare

3D, who knows, but its probably better than 3.