Samurai Shodown (Spirit) RPG translation (French to English)

Are you interested by an English version of Samurai Spirits RPG?

• Yes sure, keep going!

Votes: 110 98.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Valt C

n00b
Keep up the good work Apocalypse! I'm checking this thread everyday, believe me! (the pc2neo might do wonders to test on real HW!).

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks all for you support.
I continue the translation, few % a day...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I too would like to encourage you to keep on doing this.

What SNK stuff are you looking for? I have a few MVS carts I might donate in appreciation of your work...

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks!

What SNK stuff are you looking for? I have a few MVS carts I might donate in appreciation of your work...
Pretty much everything considering all my AES & MVS collection was lost except 1 MVS game (Top Hunter, funny enough I used to have it in both format and it was my test game for the AES to MVS converter) and a 1 slot.
I've also bought a 6 slot cab recently (with the money from the insurance).

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger

I am willing to contribute either some cash or carts to keep you motivated as well. Maybe a Patreon?

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The title screen lies at "CHIP00B2.SPR".

View attachment 33544
View attachment 33545
Well done. You can keep all of them used to display "BUSHIDO" and modify the ones saying "Histoires de" to display "Stories of"

I am willing to contribute either some cash or carts to keep you motivated as well. Maybe a Patreon?
Thanks. Carts are welcome ;)

Progress so far:
Locate and extract tiles used to display texts: 100%
Locate and extract pointers used to display texts: 100%
Create a tile editor: 100%
Create a tool to re-inject modified tiles: 100%
Create a tool to re-inject pointers: 100%

Translation:
Introduction: 100%
Title screen: 0%
Presentation: 95%
Menus: 10%
In-game texts: 15%
Battle texts: 0%

lolifoxgirl is the beta tester
wyndcrosser will work on the title screen and will beta test too
Thank you guys!

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Apoc, who did the font? On my NEoGeoCD, it's all grey, I can't really read it.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Apoc, who did the font? On my NEoGeoCD, it's all grey, I can't really read it.
If you're talking of the Bubble Bobble style font then it's me...
I know it's not really legible. It was more to test my tile editor and be able to differentiate easily modified tiles.
There are only 16 colours per palette and the palette used for texts contains 5 different reds, 7 different greens plus black, white and grey. Not many choices...
As I said to lollifoxgirl, I'll probably re-inject the font LNB used at the end of the project.

There is something strange I noticed in the texts, very few sentences are already in English...
Why? It's like LNB used an alpha version of the English game...

Also, I've built an estimate, if I work on it one hour every day, I'll finish the in-game texts translation in 3 months.
So be patient, some have been waiting for it for years so few more months is no big deal.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
i definitely want to see this game finally translated, please keep up the work, and donating some money is something i would be willing to do!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
If you're talking of the Bubble Bobble style font then it's me...
I know it's not really legible. It was more to test my tile editor and be able to differentiate easily modified tiles.
There are only 16 colours per palette and the palette used for texts contains 5 different reds, 7 different greens plus black, white and grey. Not many choices...
As I said to lollifoxgirl, I'll probably re-inject the font LNB used at the end of the project.

There is something strange I noticed in the texts, very few sentences are already in English...
Why? It's like LNB used an alpha version of the English game...

Also, I've built an estimate, if I work on it one hour every day, I'll finish the in-game texts translation in 3 months.
So be patient, some have been waiting for it for years so few more months is no big deal.

Np, yea that font he used was good. Be my guest.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
This is awesome. I'm a big Samurai fan and I've always wanted to play the RPG. I got a CDZ and could help test. I've only used legit games in my system so I would need some instructions on how to burn the CD-R's properly to play on the system.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I would need some instructions on how to burn the CD-R's properly to play on the system.
You've got to apply a patch of some sort to the ISO cause CD-Zs have an additional protection.
But it's no big deal, just few bytes to modify in a PROG file IIRC.
You'll find plenty of info online.

And thanks for the support!

fluxcore

Another Striker
I didn't realise it was you doing SSRPG translation, Apocalypse! I've been interested in playing this game for ages... keen to help out however I can (proof-reading, hex editing).

Now, where was that CDZ auction on trademe... (wouldn't you rather switch to hacking the Saturn port? :D )

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I didn't realise it was you doing SSRPG translation, Apocalypse! I've been interested in playing this game for ages... keen to help out however I can (proof-reading, hex editing).
Yeah I've got few projects on the go! :lolz:

Now, where was that CDZ auction on trademe... (wouldn't you rather switch to hacking the Saturn port? :D )
Don't tell me nobody has ever translated SS RPG for the Saturn!?
I'll stick with the NGCD version for now. Graphics are way better. ;)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Any way that we, who know zero about programming and less than that about Japanese, could help?

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I can't contribute much other then moral support, but I am excited to see this moving forward. Keep up the great work. Your efforts are appreciated.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Hey apoc, i haven't had time to look at the intro due to work. Have you changed the font yet?

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hey, no I haven't changed the font yet. I want to be able to identify old/new tiles.
What if I use the same font LNB used but with a different colour (but there isn't many choices in the palette)?