School me on Famicom Disk games

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That FDSStick sounds great. But do I understand the site correctly that if you have a Twin you still need the RAM adapter?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That FDSStick sounds great. But do I understand the site correctly that if you have a Twin you still need the RAM adapter?

You need to make a cable. The site explains how to make them, but when this was asked on the last page someone said the.site is going to start offering the cable as well.

I can't say enough good things about this thing either. It works great and hasn't had a single issue with anything I've thrown at it.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
You need to make a cable. The site explains how to make them, but when this was asked on the last page someone said the.site is going to start offering the cable as well.

I can't say enough good things about this thing either. It works great and hasn't had a single issue with anything I've thrown at it.

So, do I take it correctly that, if you have a Famicom and an FDS, you just plug this thing right into the RAM adapter? No cable necessary?

Right now, that uncertainty is the only thing hold me back from not buying one.

Jon

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, exactly. Just the Famicom, RAM adatper, and you plug the FDS Stick into the end of the cable. There is just enough length that you can set it beside the fami for easy disk swapping.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So, do I take it correctly that, if you have a Famicom and an FDS, you just plug this thing right into the RAM adapter? No cable necessary?

Right now, that uncertainty is the only thing hold me back from not buying one.

Jon

All you need is the ram adapter. I bought one on eBay for dirt. You load the disk images onto the fdsstick and plug the ram adapter into it. Easy peezy.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Why are people so confused about this thing? The website shows exactly what it is and how it plugs in.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yes, exactly. Just the Famicom, RAM adatper, and you plug the FDS Stick into the end of the cable. There is just enough length that you can set it beside the fami for easy disk swapping.

You can also solder the contacts from the fdsstick to the internals of the ram adapter and then add a button to it. Cuts out the wire and external dongle.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Holy shit, that's a great idea. I'm going to go look for a cheap ram adapter.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Why are people so confused about this thing? The website shows exactly what it is and how it plugs in.

I just wanted to be 110% sure. The "make cable" made me a bit uneasy, as I've burnt myself every time I've turned on a soldering iron.

Jon

madman

I just wanted to be 110% sure. The "make cable" made me a bit uneasy, as I've burnt myself every time I've turned on a soldering iron.

Soldering pro-tip, don't let the iron come in contact w/any part of your body. Are you sure you didn't violate your lease?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My landlord threatened to kick me out if I kept soldering due to the risk of fire. It really bummed me out until I remembered that I owned my home, so who the fuck was that guy?

madman

My landlord threatened to kick me out if I kept soldering due to the risk of fire. It really bummed me out until I remembered that I owned my home, so who the fuck was that guy?

Home insurance agent? Check the fine print on your plan regarding consolizing arcade hardware.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
The adapter showed up today from Tototek, any good rom compilation as Ninjainspandex's or SmokeMonster's?

BTW I compiled their packs in this post.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Thanks to this thread I bought the RAM adapter and the FDSStick. I had already purchased a Famicom with three games (still waiting on that to come from Japan) and a cart only DQ4 earlier in the month.

I've gone from no Famicom to balls deep in the last three weeks. Can't wait to try out the FDSStick.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
So I finally got around to trying the FDSStick, I get single disc games to load fine, but when I have a two disc game I click the button on the drive to simulate disc 2 but it says A B Side Err. 07 anybody else have this happen? Is there something I have to do to the rom like split it into two files? I find the FDS games with the FDS extension file name and they seem to load properly to the stick but not sure if I'm missing a step.

Edit
Actually I realize now I have to double click the button for side 2, but on a game like castlevania I cleared a few stages but when I turn it off it didn't save my game, is there a in game function for game saving? Or do I have to drain all lives first?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Press the button multiple times, depending on the side you need.