2016 Television series discussion, what is everyone watching?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I know there's a movie thread...but that I know of, there's no TV series thread. With the current release of movies being such shit, I've been watching more backlogged television. So...new, old, what are you guys watching and what are your thoughts?

Me?

Man in the High Castle
Consumed their series not too long ago. I will not call it a masterpiece but it is extremely well done and definitely worth the watch. For those of you with the means, it really does look good in 4K.

Walking Dead
Even though the second half of season 6 is going to ramp up...my wife and I have decided that this show is far more enjoyable in sessions rather than weekly chunks. I'm going to wait until it is over then watch all of them back to back.

Better Call Saul
1st season of this was recently added to Netflix and I can easily say it has gripped my freaking soul. What an amazing show...seriously. I know the reviews and praise and bla, bla, bla...but this is easily one of the best shows I've ever seen...right up there with the best of the best (Breaking Bad being one of those series)

The Flash
Never saw this one coming. I wrote it off to yet another dumb series that I can easily skip over. My wife and I consumed season 1 and are now into season 2. It's super fun to watch. Nothing heavy or ground breaking...but enjoyable nonetheless.

iZombie
Ok...if The Flash was one I "never saw coming" then iZombie is so far past that, I would have given it the chance I'd give My Little Pony. My wife began watching this and I reluctantly went along with the ride. I have to say...it's silly but like good fast food, it's enjoyable. There's just something about it. We finished season 1 about a month ago.

Daredevil
Not sure what the hell is wrong with this one, or wrong with me...but I just cannot get into this one, and boy did I try. Perhaps I'll give it a go again but I couldn't even get through the first season.

Jessica Jones
Do not want. My wife and I gave this 2-3 episodes and I guess it's just not my cup o tea. Drunken cunt superhero who snoops on people mixed with 1980s'ish skin-a-max soft core scenes...got it. Again, perhaps we didn't give it enough time but this one is just plain boring so far. We gave up on it.

Game of Thrones
Nuff said...but like Walking Dead, we're going to wait Season 6 out then binge watch it. Season 5 was the first time we watched it in real time and we both found it to be far less enjoyable than doing it the other way.

Fear of the Walking Dead
This one also recently popped up. haven't seen it yet, heard it's pretty much shit...so I'll watch it if I have nothing else left to watch.

Battlestar Galactica
This one has been on my "to do" list for a very long time. Finally started watching it last week. Made it through the first two pilot episodes and on the shorter episodes now. So far it's ok...kinda slow, kind of repetitive. I've been told it gets much, much better so I'm going to stick with it.

So ok...that's what I have for now. What are the rest of you guys watching?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Battlestar Galactica
This one has been on my "to do" list for a very long time. Finally started watching it last week. Made it through the first two pilot episodes and on the shorter episodes now. So far it's ok...kinda slow, kind of repetitive. I've been told it gets much, much better so I'm going to stick with it.

I had the most fun with the mini series and first part of the first season. I'm worried that if you didn't even like that then some later episodes that I found extremely tedious are going to be unbearable for you.

I only really watch Jeopardy and Bob's Burgers. And Sherlock whenever that finally comes back.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I only watch through TV services, I have no cable, I just don't watch TV, just movies until Netflix and Digital TV services came into the equation.

Arrow: Better than I ever thought it could have been, Felicity Smoke...god damn!

Flash: Another surprise, on the lighter side but good nonetheless. Ebony Iris makes me weak on the knees.

Game of Thrones: 'Nuff said.

Daredevil: Feels budget...I think that's what makes it good though.

Into the Badlands: Fights choreography is great, some actors in there are actually decent, most aren't but still worth the watch, Sunny is the man.

South Park: C'mon, it's great.

Narcos: I just got through watching Narcos which I felt was ok but the Spanish is horrible, there's only 2 or 3 real Colombian accents in there, the rest can barely speak Spanish, so it really sucks listening to them butcher the language.

Pablo Escobar: El Patron de Mal. Basically a better made Narcos although with a lower production but made in Colombia with more or less accurate events which is great for those who lived it. It's long as fuck though, prepare for a ride.

Wrassling...well...it's great!

Better call Saul: I wanna watch this, loved Breaking Bad so I'm game, didn't know it was on Netflix.

Space Adventure Cobra is on Hulu+ for those interested.

Parks & Rec is also funny and on Hulu+ that girl with the buggy eyes...oh man, I wanna see gagging tears of joy running down that face.

Blue Planet is also on Netflix, great series, can't recommend enough.

Tudors was great too, watch it on Netflix.

Profugos: I wanna watch it, looks cool.

Rosario Tijeras: Oh man this was excellent, it brought me back to my childhood, great lighthearted telling of the 90's in a very violent Colombia.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Felish is one of the best characters on TV.

I watch a shit ton of shows. Not all of them have started yet this year, but I'm already having to skip the daily movie sometimes in favour of devouring some shows.

The Expanse on SyFy is fucking amazing. Without a doubt their best show since Battlestar Galactica. $20 very, very well spent.

I hope Amazon Video will turn up on the Apple TV 4 soon, and that I can somehow use a Prime trial to catch The Man in the High Castle. Alexa Davalos is criminally underused, and the premise sounds awesome.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I know there's a movie thread...but that I know of, there's no TV series thread.

There is one here.

Yet, it dealt with recent shows, there are so many classics tho worth discussing. Let me just take a look within my library & I'll update this post in no time ;).

Here's the edit...

Current shows I watched:

1. House of Cards (US remake) -- First season is quite entertaining, which is due to the sublime team behind it. Fincher, Wilimon & Spacey deliver, there's more tho... the superb Carl Franklin directs some episodes (Devil in a Blue Dress) so does James Foley (After Dark, My Sweet & Twin Peaks) and Joel Schumacher (Lost Boys). Third season even features John Dahl (Rounders). House of Cards keeps a fine balance between cynicism, black humor & a yet a certain sympathy that emerges from the lead played by Spacey. But be sure, since Wilimon created it, there's no hope to be found in his White House interpretation. Later two seasons still offer interesting political aspects, but are a mixed bag regarding the development of characters.

2. Flesh & Bone -- A series with an insight into the world of professional dancing. Watched the first two episodes and it's awful. You'll get all the dirt from House of Cards but without any humor or charisma. The lead actress is a drag, too. Combine that with ridiculous sex scenes between each and every character in the series and you get the idea.

3. Blind Spot -- A mysterious woman is found in the middle of Time Square, lying naked in a bag addressed to the FBI & with severe amnesia. It sounds cheesy & contrived, but is actually a joy to watch. Did I mention that the our beauty is tattooed on her whole body with ciphers that lead onto the highest corruption levels within the world of secret agencies & politics? Well, now you know... but I still recommend it, there's a nice chemistry between the two leads plus good executed action sequences (although with a slightly too fast editing for my taste).

4. The Knick -- Soderbergh's medical drama series with Clive Owen as a surgeon performing wonders in a early IXX century hospital in NY, the titular Knick. Extremely dark and depressive, deprived of any possible hope, this one is really a pain to watch, yet equally engaging. Don't be fooled by the little sparks of light during the first season, for it's only there to be raped & teared apart in the second one. Though I can't help but feel that Soderbergh swiped the period idea for his series from Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method, this is still a compelling effort, if you can survive the eternal eclipse it rises upon you.

Evergreens I always recommend:

1. The Prisoner -- McGoohan's classic about a secret agent that suddenly terminates his employment in the agency only to be abducted by his employers & find himself in the mysterious Village a/k/a prison for those, who know too much may aged a bit regarding its presentation, but this is hardly a matter. It all fits perfectly here, visually as well as musically, and the plot with all its highly original ideas outshines even the best current shows by light years. Once you get the hang of it, you will not want to leave the Village yourself, tho not out of enforcement of some kind, you'll simply miss it so dreadfully.

2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy & Smiley's People -- Forget the film, this is the real deal. Dark, cynical and full of surprises, with a brilliant Alec Guinness on top of it, if you are even mildly interested in the world of spies, this is the gritty insight you're looking for. Don't want to spoil anything here, but this one is really flawless. I was always so stunned, I even watched the credit roll before & after each episode until the very end.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I had the most fun with the mini series and first part of the first season. I'm worried that if you didn't even like that then some later episodes that I found extremely tedious are going to be unbearable for you.

Let me amend my statement. I did find it to be good...just a bit slow. For 4 hours in duration, they really didn't cover a ton in the pilots. I'm going to stick with it for now.

I only watch through TV services, I have no cable, I just don't watch TV, just movies until Netflix and Digital TV services came into the equation.

Arrow: Better than I ever thought it could have been, Felicity Smoke...god damn!

I currently have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime...I don't have pay TV either.

Arrow is definitely one I may dig into, it was one I wrote off as "meh", but I've heard a ton of great things about it. Oh, and yes, the gal who plays Felicity is built like a brick shithouse...

I forgot to mention Narcos...began watching this one as well...yeah, just couldn't get into it and typically, that kind of stuff is right up my alley.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I hope Amazon Video will turn up on the Apple TV 4 soon, and that I can somehow use a Prime trial to catch The Man in the High Castle. Alexa Davalos is criminally underused, and the premise sounds awesome.

I wouldn't hold your breath...Apple and Amazon are pretty much in direct competition figuring they both rent and sell shows and movies.

Thankfully, my new LG set came with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon built in. If I can get HBO Now...I'm done with Apple, fuck those uppity shits.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Narcos is pretty bad. If you don't mind subtitles Pablo Escobar EL Patron del Mal is gonna hook you in quick. Filmed in Colombia with Colombian actors, the translation is pretty decent, they get the slang terminology pretty well.

Arrow is definitely worth the watch, specially season 1, it's the best! Yeah Felicity Smoke...damn.

Last edited:

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Black Sails and Vikings. Not sure which I like more. Probably black sails. I am also looking forward to z-nation and Marco Polo season 2 on Netflix

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh I forgot about Vikings, fucking amazing show! One of my top favorites.

Also started watching a little Marco Polo, not bad, not bad at all.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Black Sails and Vikings thirded.

Vikings first series is some of the best tv I've ever watched. There were a few things that started to annoy me in the second and third series but in no way enough to make it anything less than superb still.

Black Sails I started watching when I ran out of other ideas. At first I wasn't impressed - it was all a bit daft and light hearted which I didn't think fit the story they were trying to tell, but second series started to flesh the characters out far better and got much darker. I can't wait for the next season to start now.

I see Fear the Walking Dead was mentioned but dismissed - I don't know why, I really liked it. By the end of the season I probably liked it as much as the original Walking Dead. My only concern with it is when they catch up to the timeline of Walking Dead then I don't really see the point in it but we'll see how that pans out.

Terrible series that I love watching - The Last Ship. It's full on cornball cheese, plenty of all male chest puffing and practically every line contains a military acronym but I still love it.

Forgot to mention the sheer quantity and quality of mammaries on show in Black Sails by the way, it's worth it for that alone.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Walking Dead 1st Season was excellent, second season and on not so great but I did like the second season part where the guys are ducking it out for the wife...cool rivalry/mental breakdown...

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I enjoyed the first season of Better Call Saul more than the entirety of Breaking Bad

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Gotta watch it.

IS it just me or is the Breaking Bad wife super hot when she's doing the "Monroe Happy Birthday Mr President" thing...

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The Expanse is FUCKING FANTASTIC.

Best thing to come out of the Sci-Fi channel since they aired Robot Carnival.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think I'm getting old 'cause I don't find new anime interesting in the least, it just feels so generic, always the same dumb story, always the same set of characters...maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance or maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The Expanse...

Elementary Season 4...

and Banshee Season 4...

Will be the only shows I watch for now...

ALL the rest are crappy Superhero shit or stuff I have no interest in...

xROTx

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Boston Legal was awesome, mostly thanks to James Spader and Schatner, I wanna watch Blacklist, I heard is good. BTW, The Practice sucked until James Spader showed up.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
watched the first season of daredevil, it was pretty good but i've already had enough of it. a bit on the dark side of things ,it feels more like a punisher tv series than daredevil. i might go back to it in the future. for now i'll just stick to the oldies like simpsons and friends lol.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
"Friends"...you lost me...FOREVER!

lol my flatmates have the simpsons and friends on all the time. it's always on when i come from work. now my days just feel incomplete if i don't watch one or the other.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I wouldn't hold your breath...Apple and Amazon are pretty much in direct competition figuring they both rent and sell shows and movies.

It's been confirmed that it's coming. Otherwise, I would have said the same thing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol my flatmates have the simpsons and friends on all the time. it's always on when i come from work. now my days just feel incomplete if i don't watch one or the other.

You need to change your handle to "Chandler loves Ross"

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Dr Who - until Hulu and Netflix lost access. Time to put on the eyepatch and download. yarrr. I dont even like the show.