The Rombox thread.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Yeah, Arcade Forge also makes the Pi2Jamma for cabs.

Does anyone have one of those? I'd like to know how they get the 6 button games working on it. Ren showed me how CPS3 runs on it and it's really smooth.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Pi2Scart quick update:

Been tinkering with it tonight. There is a prepared RetroPie image available for it. The image has already been altered to allow for it to run at 15Khz. No roms supplied in it. Just RetroPie 4.2 with the necessary adjustments for the Pi2Scart.

https://mega.nz/#!ErpmhBwJ!2fQjY-Xuq0MpZSHT-oQR3sq4LtHR_6b6Q1k5IC_a7mc

dZKzA5c.jpg

ex49QKF.jpg

DnpIZ3U.jpg

Early impressions: Picture looks quite nice. Audio sounds pretty good. Input lag seems low. Haven't noticed too much of it.

Compared to my Groovymame machine: The Pi has a slight audio lag. For example, when Arthur throws a spear there is a slight delay from the moment he tosses till you hear the sound effect for it. It's very slight. The Groovymame setup doesn't have this issue. Recent versions of Mame use PortAudio for ultra low latency audio. Also I don't believe the Pi setup is running games at their original refresh rate. Many Midway and Irem games (amongst many others) run at weird 54 and 55Hz. The Pi seems to force them to 60Hz, however at something that appears closer to their original resolution. The Groovymame setup has smoothing scrolling since it displays them at their original refresh rate.

I'll post up more impressions as I go. I expect to put out a video review of this later this month.

:-J

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This might interest me. Looking forward to the video.

My Kid has the same Wall-E robot. She loves it.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Pi2Scart quick update:

I'll post up more impressions as I go. I expect to put out a video review of this later this month.

:-J

Hey Yodd, I just checked out your youtube channel (subbed!) and don't see the review of the pi2scart setup. I'm quite interested in to pi2jamma, and have been scrounging for details. I'm particularly interested in knowing if you stayed with the RasPi image that Arcadeforge supplied, or if you are using something different. Please let us know if you've posted your review!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Hey Yodd, I just checked out your youtube channel (subbed!) and don't see the review of the pi2scart setup. I'm quite interested in to pi2jamma, and have been scrounging for details. I'm particularly interested in knowing if you stayed with the RasPi image that Arcadeforge supplied, or if you are using something different. Please let us know if you've posted your review!

I haven't posted a review of it yet. It's probably going to be a while before I do as I have other videos I want to get to first.

So far I have used the ArcadeForge image with it as it's pretty straight forward.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm quite interested in to pi2jamma, and have been scrounging for details. I'm particularly interested in knowing if you stayed with the RasPi image that Arcadeforge supplied, or if you are using something different.

If you have any questions about it let me know. I'm using the Pi2SCART but the principles are all the same I believe. I have 3x of them running with RetroPie on a couple PVM/BVM's. It's not perfect but I've been LOVING playing all the MAME games on it (especially 4-player with 4x Fightsticks ;)

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
just got in a NESPi case - this thing is awesome. I know die hard users hate the way the power/reset works on it...but I have no problem shutting down my system. It's excellent.

http://retroflag.com/

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
just got in a NESPi case - this thing is awesome. I know die hard users hate the way the power/reset works on it...but I have no problem shutting down my system. It's excellent.

http://retroflag.com/

That looks real nice. How does the power/reset work on the thing?

Seems that they are hard to find now.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
That looks real nice. How does the power/reset work on the thing?

Seems that they are hard to find now.

power goes straight to the GPIO, reset is just a momentary switch that cuts power. So, if you want to use it to run a shutdown code it needs some soldering and scripts...which I don't care about. I use it like a computer - I shut down and turn it off. No big deal. Very pleased with it.

Someone posted a Genesis one as well, both look awesome!

I have one of those too - even modded the power switch to work.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Couple questions for GroovyMAME users on 15khz Sony PVM's:

When I install CRT Emudriver (for my CRT TV) hooked up via a Radeon HD video card, do I loose the ability to use the motherboards built-in HDMI output to a regular LED/LCD monitor? So could I have a dual monitor setup? One monitor being the 15khz Sony PVM for MAME, while I can browse the internet on a second monitor hooked up via the motherboards built-in/integrated HDMI video card running at 1080p?

I've read conflicting reports on if GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver are still limited (or only really run best) when you run Windows 7? So would I have problems running this on Windows 10?

I've similarly read of people using many other models of Radeon HD than are listed on the original CRT Emudriver website. Looks like many people are using the Radeon HD 5450 now?

I’m failing at finding a definitive list, but there are arcade games on MAME which are at a greater resolution than 240p/480i, correct? How does CRT Emudriver/GroovyMAME handle those? If I were using multiformat CRT’s (BVM-D20/PVM-L5) can GroovyMAME let me play those at their native resolution since my monitors can handle it?

The answers to those questions will let me decide if I'm going for a super-cheap PC build which will ONLY be used for MAME, or if I should go slightly more higher end so I can use this PC for things like a media/Plex server, browsing the web, light photo editing, etc. Thanks.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Seems like nobody has been talking retrpie setups lately.
I am a bit late to the game, but about a month ago I got a rpi 3b+, and loved it so much that today I received my odroid XU4 setup. It blows my mind that this odroid can run dreamcast and naomi shit so well.
Currently atomiswave is a bit buggy, but I'm sure it will be sorted out as well.
Anyone else using one of these? If so what controllers have you settled upon for best all around? I'm using some of the gamesir wired x360 knockoffs right now and they're pretty decent so far. Gonna hook my hrap seimitsu stick up to this sooner or later I hope.
Honestly not a ton of knowledge to provide currently, as I'm relatively new to all of this, but i have to say... This thing literally runs everything I care about, and very well. Im in love!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I never popped in here...I landed up building a RetroPie box with a Gen 3 unit. I did that in Dec of 2017 and the thing has been working flawlessly ever since. At the time, I bought this 8BitDo SNES controller:

https://www.amazon.com/8bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joystick/dp/B014QP2H1E

Like the Pie unit, it hasn't caused me a single bit of grief. I'm running the SNES, NES, Gen, Sega CD, 7800, and Arcade ROM's...again, no real issues that I can think of. A few burps and hiccups here and there along the way, but I cannot complain.

I'll say this, the thing works so well, I sold off a mass majority of my game collection. Some may think that's nuts, but the functionality of the unit, the convenience of it, darn near every aspect of it fits my needs perfectly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Seems like nobody has been talking retrpie setups lately.
I am a bit late to the game, but about a month ago I got a rpi 3b+, and loved it so much that today I received my odroid XU4 setup. It blows my mind that this odroid can run dreamcast and naomi shit so well.
Currently atomiswave is a bit buggy, but I'm sure it will be sorted out as well.
Anyone else using one of these? If so what controllers have you settled upon for best all around? I'm using some of the gamesir wired x360 knockoffs right now and they're pretty decent so far. Gonna hook my hrap seimitsu stick up to this sooner or later I hope.
Honestly not a ton of knowledge to provide currently, as I'm relatively new to all of this, but i have to say... This thing literally runs everything I care about, and very well. Im in love!

My favorite general purpose controller for Retropie is the 8bitdo SF30 Pro controller. That's the one that looks like a SNES pad but has extra R and L buttons and analog sticks. Since most of the Retropie stuff is designed around the SNES controller but with the buttons and analog sticks of a more modern controller it works well. That said, most anything USB based will work well with it.

I haven't used it with Retropie yet but the new Genesis 8bitdo controller is fucking awesome, it would be great for the Sega and arcade titles.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My favorite general purpose controller for Retropie is the 8bitdo SF30 Pro controller. That's the one that looks like a SNES pad but has extra R and L buttons and analog sticks. Since most of the Retropie stuff is designed around the SNES controller but with the buttons and analog sticks of a more modern controller it works well. That said, most anything USB based will work well with it.

I haven't used it with Retropie yet but the new Genesis 8bitdo controller is fucking awesome, it would be great for the Sega and arcade titles.

You know what's funny...I don't mind playing Gen games on a SNES controller. Even when I was using the Retron, I mapped NES, SNES, and Gen games to a SNES controller so I could use just the one.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I've really been wanting to build a dedicated emulator pc for quite awhile now. I have an extra monitor that tates. Would be perfect for SHMUP MAME.

I have been thinking of using a mini atx enclosure.

Has anyone used of the the Ultimarc VGA cards?

I've read mixed things about them, and that there is a free software that works just as well. Can't remember what it is though. I remember it sounded like a huge pain in the ass to setup , so not sure if its worth it.

I think my ultimate ROM box setup would be a dedicated PC, with dedicated graphics. A huge monitor that tates, at least 45 in, mounted to a huge desk. Then 2 really nice arcade sticks, for mame and fight cade.

Would probably set it all up through Big Box.

Would probably set up DOS Box as well, and a bunch of retro GOG PC games.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
The 8bitdo controllers look really nice, I'll definitely keep them in mind for the future!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The 8bitdo controllers look really nice, I'll definitely keep them in mind for the future!

The unit I have is superb. It looks and feels 100% legit, the battery on it is very long lasting, the Bluetooth is superb. I have zero complaints.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Got a random retropie question. Was hanging with 2 friends last week and only had 2 controllers. Decided to hook up a ps4 con as a 3rd so we could do some Konami beatemups. Both titles I entered into with this configuration not only didn't work, but now when I access these titles again, no button commands for the normal 2 controllers I always use will do anything. I can't even get select +X to pull up the menu so I can redefine buttons. Wtf do I need to do so I can set these up again??

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Got a random retropie question. Was hanging with 2 friends last week and only had 2 controllers. Decided to hook up a ps4 con as a 3rd so we could do some Konami beatemups. Both titles I entered into with this configuration not only didn't work, but now when I access these titles again, no button commands for the normal 2 controllers I always use will do anything. I can't even get select +X to pull up the menu so I can redefine buttons. Wtf do I need to do so I can set these up again??

Thats odd :s

Have you tried reconfiguring them is ES?

If so the retro arch controller config has probably been changed or corrupted at a guess.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Maybe try unplug the controllers & use a keyboard to pull up the menu. Maybe you can reset it back to normal that way. Then plug the controllers again.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Anybody know the keyboard command I need to hit to pull up config? I'll give it a try.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I havent owned a Pi in years.

How far is the emulation came? For example how far can you emulate accurately for consoles, PC, and Arcade?

Are CPS2, Win 98, and Up to Dreamcast era doable?

Oh, and the 8bit do controllers. Those all work right?