The Rombox thread.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
The unit I am trying to build is mostly just to play old stuff so I'm not too awful worried about a lot of the specs, but here is what I've got so far.

210gb ssd
Intel NUC NUC5CPYH

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So the mobo and ram came in, got it into the case, suprisingly there was more room than I thought. I went with a case that doesn't support an optical drive cause I won't use it for anything. One thing I was bummed about, the case has front USB 3 ports yet the mobo onboard only has 2.0 headers :( it's fine as the mobo itself has 3.0 and 2.0 on the back as well as the audio which is what I'm going to use any way to keep it clean on the front. In the next couple of days I hope to get win7 on it and I'll start doing some testing and come back with the results. Pics after the spoiler

Spoiler:
N9DqNym.jpg

FOFRBs5.jpg

MYcV3We.jpg

8xmNk6D.jpg

d6dIbNb.jpg

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Looks pretty nice there panda :)

I built my current rom box to basically the same specs as a taito type X2. I could really use to cram it in a smaller case but it works great for the cracked type x / x2 games and a lot of MAME stuff.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Most recently I bought a Mac mini for $20 from the thrift store and replaced a large tower that was one of my old gaming rigs and its been wonderful so far with openemu.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The unit I am trying to build is mostly just to play old stuff so I'm not too awful worried about a lot of the specs, but here is what I've got so far.

210gb ssd
Intel NUC NUC5CPYH

Ive been very interested in these little Intel machines. Please let us know how it goes with CGA/15khz output via whatever driver. That's the only thing im sceptical about, the Intel HD Graphics core. How far can it be tweaked?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just got a few things in!

uploadfromtaptalk1455120790922.jpg

I'm going low rent here, I got a Raspberry Pi 2 that I'm going to load Retropie on and a couple of Buffalo USB controllers. I'm primarily wanting to use it for Mame and FBA, hoping it works better than the Pandora.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

View attachment 32917

I'm going low rent here, I got a Raspberry Pi 2 that I'm going to load Retropie on and a couple of Buffalo USB controllers. I'm primarily wanting to use it for Mame and FBA, hoping it works better than the Pandora.

Start breaking in those ibuffalo dpads now. Once they wear a bit they are just like a snes controller.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Woo, those pads look nice, most clone pads have been pretty bad though. Gohan, let us know how everything works out once you get it going!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I think it was DZ who recommended those pads back in the day. They don't feel exactly like SNES pads (yet?) But they feel nice, not like other clone shit. I can't believe they were $11.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
How are the shoulders? That's the only part of the controllers I notice is way different from a real SNES pad.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll let you know when I play Starfox, barrel rolls are they best test.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Shoulder feel great. Not hollow feeling like regular knock offs. The only issue is the dpad which after a few game sessions breaks in and is fantastic.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Bought two of those Buffalo controllers and they came in today. They feel a bit cheaper than a real SNES controller, weigh a little less but overall solid. Not a fan of the shoulder buttons, they're more shallow but the face buttons are great. I think DZ is right and the dpad needs some breaking in.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
After playing with mine a bit I really love it. Snes, nes, hell, Don Pachi and even fucking Doom are great on it. I might stock up while they are cheap..

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I need to get a few iBuffalo pads, where do you guys order them?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
After playing with mine a bit I really love it. Snes, nes, hell, Don Pachi and even fucking Doom are great on it. I muggy stock up while they are cheap..

Same. It's way better than I anticipated.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My Dog Bone NES controller that Beagle Puss gave me died, it's my only Dog Bone pad...sob...I beat Ninja Gaiden III US with it...well, I beat NG3US with every peripheral I own but that's beside the point, I'm heart broken....one day I went to pick it up and I think I must of sent a "SOX powered electric shock through my hands 'cause I jolted and then no go...just dead...which brings me to this...I wanna get one of them clone pads but just for the guts, the parts in the Dog Bone are still good, so if I can just swap the PCB I'll be all set...

...The question is...do I go USB or do I go legit NES and if I do chose one venue, do I get the second one anyway and have both ways to play my Dog Bone...I need it, it's the best NES gamepad there is...fuck them rectangles, I tortured myself as a child endlessly with them fuckers, over the years I developed this numbing feeling I get right at the corner of the damn gamepad in between my fingers, that dam corner sucks! Back in the day I used to wrap the corner with duct tape just to pad it a bit...too much gaming or just too nancy...I dunno but I want my Dog Bone back!

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Another option is to mod an official SNES controller for USB, but if those clone controllers are pretty decent, it's probably not worth the bother.

KP are you planning on adding a JAMMA edge to your build? Maybe with a JPAC or similar wired in?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

View attachment 32917

Would you mind explaining the whole raspberry pie thing to me, is that a kit, does it come preassembled and just ready to be set with emulation and so on?