KOF Fundamental Questions

ajflutie

n00b
I've been playIng FF and KOF for fun for years but never really understood what was going on.

I've been reading guides and tutorials and now I just want to grasp the basics of fighting games specifically KOF.

My questions,

When your attack is blocked, are you then open to get attacked without a chance to recovery and counter block the opposing attack?

In an air attack, if the opposing user uses an anti air attack, is there anything the user in the air can do?

When I knock down an opponent, what's the best tactic to use after he is on ground? Most times after a knockdown it seems they get up and get a attack on me.

Does the game come down to "guessing" the other opponents attack and using a counter attack at the same time?

Can anyone explaining "canceling" in further detail to me.

Thanks! I have all 3 KOF (98,92,13) on Steam, if you ever want to spar or would like to teach me anything please inbox me you account and I will add you.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
When your attack is blocked, are you then open to get attacked without a chance to recovery and counter block the opposing attack?

That depends on the attack. Certain ones are more open to be punished then others. Some even it depends on distance. Kim's Han Getsu Zan (Moonsault attack) can be safe if you apply it from about 2 body lengths away though it only hits 1 time. If you apply it at a shorter distance, you get 2 hits, but it is very punishable. It takes a lot of time to find out what is safe and what isn't.

In an air attack, if the opposing user uses an anti air attack, is there anything the user in the air can do?
Air attacks works like a game of chicken. Whoever throws out the attack and hits the hitbox first gets the registered hit. It's a lot different then Capcom where what you throw out can effect who wins. I.E. in SFV a heavy attack beats any medium or light attack.

When I knock down an opponent, what's the best tactic to use after he is on ground? Most times after a knockdown it seems they get up and get a attack on me.

If you're timing isn't up to snuff (meaning the guy on the ground is beating you to the punch) you might want to work on spacing. A good thing to try is using fireballs on him when he is down forcing the opponent to block giving you extra time to do whatever afterwards.

Does the game come down to "guessing" the other opponents attack and using a counter attack at the same time?

Not always. You can force your opponent to do what you want or making the "guessing" much easier by taking away options.

Can anyone explaining "canceling" in further detail to me.

"Canceling" usually refers to canceling moves. When you throw out a special move there is time after the move that if you miss the move your opponent can attack you. Now canceling the move makes the move come out most of the way doing the damage, but instead of having the vulnerability afterwards you would immediately go into another move. Now after that second move you would be vulnerable like always. Because if you could just cancel anything into anything that would be ridiculous. So obviously there are limits to what can be canceled. The easiest to find are canceling specials into supers.

Thanks! I have all 3 KOF (98,92,13) on Steam, if you ever want to spar or would like to teach me anything please inbox me you account and I will add you.

I have all 3. Mr_Bakaboy is my name on there.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I used to spend hours on practice mode and work my way around what links, did it with all the characters and worked out 3 solid combos per character...now before we can fly we need to walk...so it is a very good idea to just practice all the normals, their extent, their properties, then there's the special normal which are useful too. SO...learn that and then start working combos with just normal, then add specials to it...talking about special, do 'em over and over, learn how the move along the screen, learn the recovery time, you know, stuff like that. Once good with that learn how to cancel your specials into supers, or normal into specials, or normal into supers, you know...Super Cancel.

Learn the throws, when can you spam, when you should not, when it's the best time to charge, can a special help provide cover while you charge...so on. The last step once you can walk is to fly, learn the crossups, what's the most efficient way to do it for your character, what is the best mix up, and most importantly and above all for all fighting games is Space Management, learn how to work the stage, how to pressure your opponent into making mistakes, how to read how your opponent behaves in certain areas of the stage, like corners, or close to the corner, do they jump back usually or come forward avoiding the corner altogether, this things help understand space management better.

Think of fighting games as PONG or air hockey, I know it sounds weird but it makes Space Management seem a little more comprehensible in the big scheme of things. Hope that helps.

Try to track down the guide for KOF12, I know 13 didn't get a guide but the one for 12 goes extensively into the specifics of KOF, like talking about rolling, small jumps, throws, etc. It explains in great detail the ins and outs of mind games which is a great read. Highly recommend, also some of the combos work on 13 anyway.

Wish I had bought the 3 pack when it was on a super sale on steam, I wasn't thinking of the online factor 'cause I already have them on XBL but nobody plays so I just stick to Street Fighter.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
In addition to the advice in this thread I suggest you watch this video if you haven't already. It breaks down the fundamentals of KOF pretty nicely and applies to pretty much every KOF game.

ajflutie

n00b
I appreciate the answers and information.

For those in my boat, here is a link I have found very helpful.

http://pastebin.com/AxJ7USsJ

I feel most comfortable with Andy right now (KOF13) .. Terry right behind him. I like being able to hit anti air attacks at will, it suites my game play. I dislike Terrys Rising Tackle because of the charge.

Any character recommendations, specifically characters with efficient anti air attacks?