Is it worth to mod neo geo x into aes stick?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Plenty of other threads around here about modding NGX sticks.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
How does it compare to the original?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
How does it compare to the original?

The ngx stick is total garbage. I bought a pair at release hoping to be able to convert them into standard issue aes sticks but it was a complete bust.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The ngx stick is total garbage. I bought a pair at release hoping to be able to convert them into standard issue aes sticks but it was a complete bust.

Yeah, the quality isn't there. You're better off getting actual Neo sticks, than dicking around with the neo x ones. They look nice enough but are made cheaply.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For one they aren't 1:1 like Tommo said they were. Basically think of it as a bootleg Chinese version of the beautifully made Japanese AES old style stick. If it was 1:1 we could at least scrap them for the casing.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
For one they aren't 1:1 like Tommo said they were. Basically think of it as a bootleg Chinese version of the beautifully made Japanese AES old style stick. If it was 1:1 we could at least scrap them for the casing.

Wow, even the joystick casing is garbage? I haven't tried one, but I would have thought at least the casing would have been worthwhile for an innards swap. Such a pity - every time I try to find something redeeming about the NGX I come up short.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The best mod for the NGX stick is to swap in an old style stick assembly but only do that if the assembly is a spare. Never take it from a working old style stick to put into an NGX stick.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I did it at lunch, I have a guide here somewhere with pics. As XX said they aren't great,but aren't terrible if it's all you have. I'd swap the buttons and joystick too. Which ends up making it more expensive than an AES stick.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
When I posted this question some people said it felt almost exactly like the original stick even though I mentioned it seemed light and cheap. Now all of a sudden its a POS (not saying it isn't, just saying people defended it recently).

Metlcub

n00b
A friend had the NGX, and I thought the NGX stick was, ok. But no where near the quality of the AES stick.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
When I posted this question some people said it felt almost exactly like the original stick even though I mentioned it seemed light and cheap. Now all of a sudden its a POS (not saying it isn't, just saying people defended it recently).
They're both shit, but the original is slightly less shitty. For casual gaming it's fine.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Its as if the people who made the NGX stick went to the local Drugstore picked up one of those cheap atari flashback plug and play models and based the build quality of that joystick.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
It's the crappiest feeling joystick I have ever used. It feels broken out of the box

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Meh, I use them from time to time on my computer to play emulators. They are completely useable, but a huge letdown from what they were advertised as.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Meh, I use them from time to time on my computer to play emulators. They are completely useable, but a huge letdown from what they were advertised as.
That sums my thoughts up nicely. It's a perfectly serviceable usb stick if you can find one cheap. I've certainly used worse, like pretty much any pre-sf4 console stick released in the us.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I'm trying to make some of my arcade USB sticks to run on a Neo. There used to be an adapter by undamned which deserialized the USB into db15. People have also made projects with a Raspberry Pi but I'm sure there's a lighter option. The Arduinos could be an interesting approach...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm trying to make some of my arcade USB sticks to run on a Neo. There used to be an adapter by undamned which deserialized the USB into db15. People have also made projects with a Raspberry Pi but I'm sure there's a lighter option. The Arduinos could be an interesting approach...
or you could just straight wire the buttons/sticks to DB15 (as long as they are common ground)... no de/encoding necessary.

aaluis

n00b
or you could just straight wire the buttons/sticks to DB15 (as long as they are common ground)... no de/encoding necessary.

Hi xsq, are you sure you just need to stright wire the buttons/sticks to DB15 ? Is that easy to convert the NGX stick to use it in an AES OR MVS with joystick ports?

Thanks in advance.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It is pretty easy, I've done it on other console sticks. You should probably wire up NG's VCC and GND to the original PCB if you're keeping the original console's PCB intact so you have the original console's board at the same potential as NG when using it on NG (sometimes this causes random inputs and such, if not connected). If you're gutting it of its original PCB then no need to worry about that.