FIXED: PC Engine CD-ROM Middle Gear issue

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Hello all!

Recently replaced the middle gear in my PCE CD-ROM drive, but after a few min of use, it begins to grind again. I opened it up and found that the washer keeping the middle gear in place has deteriorated and the gear has become free spinning.

PCE Gear.jpg

Has anyone had this happen to them before, or any suggestions on how to keep the gear from slipping off the rod? Thanks!

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
You need to find a little circlip/c-clip/seeger ring/snap ring (or whatever it's called in 'Murica). I'm pretty sure you can find some on ebay. Do you have a caliper to take the measurements of the shaft?

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
You need to find a little circlip/c-clip/seeger ring/snap ring (or whatever it's called in 'Murica). I'm pretty sure you can find some on ebay. Do you have a caliper to take the measurements of the shaft?

I wish, that'd make it so much easier. I think they are called C clips here, but most of the ones I run across seem too large. Thanks for the help man!

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I wish, that'd make it so much easier. I think they are called C clips here, but most of the ones I run across seem too large. Thanks for the help man!

Don't give up bro, they make all kinds and sizes of C clips. Once you get the measurements, it should be easy to find the one you need. You should probably ask people who repair CD-Rom2 often and see if they can get the measurements for you. I think cdamm and kiel fixed quite a lot of these.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Just as an update, I ordered some 1/16" E clips and they are just the right size. A royal pain in the ass to set on there, but now the CD-ROM drive works like new again. Thanks for the help guys!

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Glad to hear you are back up and running. Where did you pick up the middle gear and correct e clip? I might want to pick up a spare to put away.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Just as an update, I ordered some 1/16" E clips and they are just the right size. A royal pain in the ass to set on there, but now the CD-ROM drive works like new again. Thanks for the help guys!

VICTOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111 :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

GX1Iq34.gif