Tips for playing Art of Fighting 2?

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm new to AOF2, and man. This game is BRUTAL. Even though I have some skill at playing fighting games, I can't get anywhere in this game.

Can I get some tips to help me play a little better?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
image.jpg

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
brutal? more like broken. i think the furthest i ever managed to get in art of fighting 2 was the third opponent. art of fighting 3 is the only game in the franchise that i find playable.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
brutal? more like broken.

Granted, there's another perspective tho, for it's a pattern based game: find out its weak point and exploit it. It's broken all right, but with a method behind it, like Hopkins' character in Silence of the Lambs or any Fred Quimby cartoon for that matter.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Granted, there's another perspective tho, for it's a pattern based game: find out its weak point and exploit i it.

This. Opponents follow a strict pattern. Memorize it like you would shooters of the era.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'm new to AOF2, and man. This game is BRUTAL. Even though I have some skill at playing fighting games, I can't get anywhere in this game.

Tip- play as Takuma (Mr. Karate), and use the flaming jump kick on opponents, when they get up after you have knocked them down (then again, when they are blocking). It doesn't matter if you have run out of spirit gauge, you will still jump forward a little, and chip off a little of their energy. It's super-cheap, but so are the computer opponents.

Last edited:
Fighting the computer in Art of Fighting 2... this isn't straight up combat, it feels more like a puzzle game. The A.I. becomes way too predictable once you know what moves they will use. What's with the A.I. anyways? It doesn't feel like my victories in this game have anything to do with fundamentals. Characters that jump at you when you taunt them from a certain distance? Or Micky just standing there doing nothing if you keep jumping backwards? Also the dizzy system in this game is stupid. It doesn't require an extra hit after the character gets dizzy, so you can keep repeating the steps that Ren-Chan said: 1) Throw 2) Use Special 3) Charge Meter while opponent is knocked down 4) Repeat Step 1.

I've played through the game with Lee 'cause he's my favorite character, but I prefer his appearance from AoF1.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?255341-BerryTogarts-NeoGeo-Fighters-History-Quest/page4

enlarge the spoiler to see specific tactics vs specific opponents - that said if you read that you actually defeat the meaning of the game which to the best of my experience is figuring out a puzzle on how to defeat each Opponent - don't play it like a standard fighter

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Bingo!

Even then it's still hard to beat.

AOF 2 is easily the cheapest fighting game on the neo. It's total bullshit.
With AOF2, it was like SNK decided, we'll make it so every computer-controlled character has SNK boss syndrome, not just the boss of the game.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Geese looks awesome with the long hair in AOF2. He is also insanely strong.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Beautiful and fun game but the insane Ai ruins 1p experience. I was so proud when i beat the first character. Best to be played w a buddy

All the early neo fighters seem to have insane difficulty. Sam sho 2 has a good balance..not too easy to make it a cakewalk but not too hard to cockblock you in the first couple of stages.

It might be just me, but I believe that after you throw the computer, you have to use your Special Move during the opponent's wakeup in order to make them not block it, not after they wakeup.

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was playing this last night for the first time in years and it freaking destroyed me. I made it to my second opponent (Yuri), burned through 4 credits, reset to MVS and used up a whole bunch more, then knocked it down to level-1, and still kept getting my ass handed to me. Reading this thread a couple weeks back did not prepare me enough for how tough this game feels!

It sure is absolutely gorgeous, though. Faces getting bloody and bruised is still ridiculously impressive, as are the huge sprites. I'm pretty sure you can even bruise in different ways? I'm pretty sure I saw some of that in Yuri's face after getting through the same winning pose 1,000 times, haha.

I'm going back in this weekend. Letting this rest for a day or two between sessions is probably the way to go here.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Ask Wes.

He beats that game blind folded.