Big Red Tryptich spotted in Toronto

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
neo_galleria.jpg

Up for play are:

(1) Bust-A-Move on a very blurry CRT with sound turned off in a single-slot cab *
(2) Rally, 8Man, Samurai Showdown 4, Magician Lord on a decent CRT with sound turned off on a 4-slot.
(3) KOF 2001 on a single-slot, with sound!

Sadly, but truly - this is the best arcade to be found in Toronto these days. Still nice to see these bad-boys going strong!

* in a dynamo cab, but it's still a big red to me dammit!

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
LOL. Where are these? I wonder why the sound is off. Reminds me of when you could find cabs in places like corner stores. Anyways, there is no actual arcade I'm aware off in Toronto. The closest is Dave and Busters and Playdium.

havok666

n00b
Yeah where is this? I was crushed when Funland closed down on Yonge street. I loved playing puzzle bobble there in the back on my lunch break.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
The cabs are located at Galleria Shopping Centre at 1245 Dupont St., Toronto.

If you want to go back in time to the early 80's this is indeed your place. I remember going to a mall like this when I was a kid, but if course it has been torn down. Not this one though!

I've been going back there a bunch of times, and have noticed that controller 2 on the far right cab does not work very well, nor does the sound. I's all "crumpled" sounding. Needs a cap replacement. I played Bust-A-Move on the first cab, and the colors bleed like crazy. Still playable, but bring your glasses.

Anyone want to challenge me on Samurai Shodown? We can have a small in-person tournament, and loser buys haircuts and beers.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Certainly something to check out sometime! Just amazing that these neo geo cabs of a long staying power for their reliability and affordability to arcade owners.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I need to figure out how to solve the blurriness on my monitor. Keep these things in the wild!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Damn, that extra security is worrying. How bad is crime up there?

90s

The cabs are located at Galleria Shopping Centre at 1245 Dupont St., Toronto.

If you want to go back in time to the early 80's this is indeed your place. I remember going to a mall like this when I was a kid, but if course it has been torn down. Not this one though!

I've been going back there a bunch of times, and have noticed that controller 2 on the far right cab does not work very well, nor does the sound. I's all "crumpled" sounding. Needs a cap replacement. I played Bust-A-Move on the first cab, and the colors bleed like crazy. Still playable, but bring your glasses.

Anyone want to challenge me on Samurai Shodown? We can have a small in-person tournament, and loser buys haircuts and beers.

How about Saturday?

I am familiar with this depressing "mall", but have not been there recently. Ever since Zellers closed down the mall has been even more depressing and empty. It has the most random little shops and senior citizens just loitering there. If it wasn't for the grocery store, this mall would have no traffic at all. The gas station that use to be there was so old too; the pumps were unusual.

Seriously though, Saturday, loser buys beers and all.

90s

Damn, that extra security is worrying. How bad is crime up there?

LOL. Who would even bother trying to steal the few meagre quarters in these cabs?

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
How about Saturday?

I am familiar with this depressing "mall", but have not been there recently. Ever since Zellers closed down the mall has been even more depressing and empty. It has the most random little shops and senior citizens just loitering there. If it wasn't for the grocery store, this mall would have no traffic at all. The gas station that use to be there was so old too; the pumps were unusual.

Seriously though, Saturday, loser buys beers and all.

I'm down for a Saturday meetup! Say 1pm?

If we can nail down a time I will also post co-ordinates to the meetup in the Toronto meet-up thread we had going a while back to see if we can get some other lads to join. More bros, more beers.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
nice, i cant remember the last time i saw a 1 big red in the wild over here in houston. But I dont go to laundry mats so thats probably why. We used to have a place called exhilarama , it had two arcade one up front where all current and money makers were. Then in the back was the nickel zone which had big reds, big blues and random games like the avengers, terminator,etc. most expensive game to play was 15 cents i believe

90s

I'm down for a Saturday meetup! Say 1pm?

Okay, I'll be there. Maybe a little earlier to get some practice in. Finally, I have something else to use my change on besides parking.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Okay, I'll be there. Maybe a little earlier to get some practice in. Finally, I have something else to use my change on besides parking.

I just went there again today and the SamSho V cab only has one working coin-slot for player 2. No way to get coins into player 1, so no 2-player play. What a waste.

I dunno if you still want to meet up, as all cabs are effective 1-player now.

We should go into the Toronto thread and really plan something else for the Toronto crew to meetup.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?250781-Toronto-neo-geo-gamers

90s

I just went there again today and the SamSho V cab only has one working coin-slot for player 2. No way to get coins into player 1, so no 2-player play. What a waste.

I dunno if you still want to meet up, as all cabs are effective 1-player now.

We should go into the Toronto thread and really plan something else for the Toronto crew to meetup.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?250781-Toronto-neo-geo-gamers

That sucks. I think we should concentrate on a different meet up; I posted in that other thread. I'm still gonna check these out on my own time. I kinda wanna explore whats gonna happen to these cabs once the mall is gone if it really is closing.