Brezzasoft Crystal System Manual / Info?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hey guys, anyone have a scan of this manual? I couldn't find anything about this system, I worked out what the DIPs do, then found the same info in the comments on the MAME driver for the system. There's also a pot that controls the brightness of the video output, but I'd be interested in learning what functions, if any, the other DIPs have. I may write up what I know in the event someone else needs help in the future.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I have the manual. There is a hard dip setting in the menu for the line of 8 DIPS and its just:
1 = Pause
2 = Free Play

8 = System setup

madman

I have the manual. There is a hard dip setting in the menu for the line of 8 DIPS and its just:
1 = Pause
2 = Free Play

8 = System setup

OK, those are the ones I figured out, the others do nothing? Any worthwhile info in the manual? Thanks!

madman

Awesome, thanks for the pics! Looks like I figured out everything about the board on my own. My battery is getting fuzzy so I'll have to look into disabling the charge circuit and doing a coin cell mod on it. Or not, I mean I only have one game for it anyway.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
There were grander plans for the Crystal System - I think the dips would have had some function with other games...maybe.

The only other title other than the one you have - that is worth playing is Donggul Donggul Haerong. By the time it was released they'd already abandoned the hardware. AFAIK Dongul is available as bare mother / bare pcb only. It's the exact same size pcb's, just doesn't have the plastic on the mother or cart.

Spoiler:
$_1.JPG

madman

Yeah, I've been trying to track that game down, keeping my eye on some overseas EBay sellers. Seems like it can be had for a good price. Interesting little piece of arcade history.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
Yeah, one of the Korean sellers has it up for $47 and shipping every couple weeks. It isn't boardfixer or world_hobbyist - they both sell it as well, but like all their stuff, it's well over market - so they just keep relisting.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Does it show the pinout for the 3p/4p connector?

no it didn't have the pin diagram for that 3p/4p connector. Ill take it to work and scan a proper PDF. The only diagram it had was for the JAMMA edge.

Last edited:

FPT

n00b
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this is the only lead I've found on getting information from the Crystal System manual. I have a Crystal System motherboard that isn't working. I plug it in and I get a red screen. The LED at location D1 on the board is blinking. Typically with games an LED either stays on or turns on when first powered then goes off. A blinking one means it's trying to tell me something, but without the manual I don't know what! Does anybody, perhaps someone with access to the manual, know what this mean? I'd love the help. Information of this kind on the Crystal System is very scarce.

madman

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this is the only lead I've found on getting information from the Crystal System manual. I have a Crystal System motherboard that isn't working. I plug it in and I get a red screen. The LED at location D1 on the board is blinking. Typically with games an LED either stays on or turns on when first powered then goes off. A blinking one means it's trying to tell me something, but without the manual I don't know what! Does anybody, perhaps someone with access to the manual, know what this mean? I'd love the help. Information of this kind on the Crystal System is very scarce.

Not sure how much this helps, but my D1 blinks without a cart inserted. Is this your only board? Did it work in the past?

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I have a manual but don't see anything on blinking LED. It has a full page for no picture though.

First try a system reset (first tiny button on the side).

Next, try a soft reset by hitting TEST and SERVICE (the other 2 tiny buttons on the side) - go to factory reset option.

After that it has a series of tests on individual chips to try that all can affect picture.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Plus see if your battery has leaked...this board has the same problem as the PGM.

FPT

n00b
It's the only Crystal System board I have. It hasn't worked as long as I've had it, I bought it on the cheap wanting to try and fix it.

I tried the reset button and it just goes back to the red screen and I got no response on the soft reset. I get the same screen whether there is a cartridge in there or not. If a cartridge is in the D1 and the D2 LEDS blink. D1 blinks, then D2, then both. Again I don't know if this is normal or not, my experience with other PCBs just tells me it isn't.

I've been planning to switch out the battery but haven't yet. There is no visible damage from battery leakage or corrosion, but I have some extra batteries on hand anyway. Though without any damage from battery leakage, it seems unlikely a bad battery would cause this problem, it would normally just make it so the settings aren't saved right?

There is one transistor near the battery that looks like it has been repaired? Two of the legs have been replaced with resistors. That being said, I found a picture online of someone else's board with the exact same repair, so maybe it was an in-factory repair. Though I've also seen a picture of a Crystal System board with an unmodified transistor in that spot.

I may be down to just starting to replace parts until it works.

madman

I can't remember the symptoms, but mine would not play a game (well, I only have one) with the plastic cart housing and 90 degree adapter attached. The cart just wouldn't seat properly. If you take the housing off and remove that PCI looking adapter you can plug the cart directly in. It's worth a shot.

And yeah, the system will work fine without the battery, it just won't remember your settings.

Edit: Actually if the test switch doesn't work it's more complicated than the cart connector.

Last edited:

Fox1

20 Year Member
I can't remember the symptoms, but mine would not play a game (well, I only have one) with the plastic cart housing and 90 degree adapter attached. The cart just wouldn't seat properly. If you take the housing off and remove that PCI looking adapter you can plug the cart directly in. It's worth a shot.

And yeah, the system will work fine without the battery, it just won't remember your settings.

Edit: Actually if the test switch doesn't work it's more complicated than the cart connector.

The battery saves your high scores too. IIRC Crystal of Kings won't work without the 90 degree adapter...I dunno why.

madman

The battery saves your high scores too. IIRC Crystal of Kings won't work without the 90 degree adapter...I dunno why.

Crystal of Kings is the only game I own...it only works without the adapter. The cart just doesn't fit into that plastic housing, the sticker on the side of the cart is all beat up from the tight fit. I'm sure if I screwed around with it enough I could get it to fit, but it works every time without that housing and adapter. I just cut out the middleman.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Weird...I remember trying it without the adapter and it refused to boot...i dunno.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I thought this system only had 2 games made for it; the soccer game and the side scrolling fighting game. There were others?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
There was a bakugun type 'put the pellets in your opponents goal' game too.

mjmjr25

10 Year Member
I thought this system only had 2 games made for it; the soccer game and the side scrolling fighting game. There were others?

Evolution Soccer (soccer; cart pcb / plastic mother)
Crystal of Kings (beat 'em up; cart pcb / plastic mother)
Top Blade V (beyblade type action; bare pcb / bare bother)
Office Yeo In Cheon Ha (beatmania puzzle type game; bare pcb / bare mother; uses 3 button beatmania-style control panel)
Dongul Dongul Haerrong (platformer; bare pcb / bare mother)

Theoretically the pcb sizes are the same - you could swap a Dongul pcb into a empty cart and play it on the plastic cart connector style motherboard.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Evolution Soccer (soccer; cart pcb / plastic mother)
Crystal of Kings (beat 'em up; cart pcb / plastic mother)
Top Blade V (beyblade type action; bare pcb / bare bother)
Office Yeo In Cheon Ha (beatmania puzzle type game; bare pcb / bare mother; uses 3 button beatmania-style control panel)
Dongul Dongul Haerrong (platformer; bare pcb / bare mother)

Theoretically the pcb sizes are the same - you could swap a Dongul pcb into a empty cart and play it on the plastic cart connector style motherboard.

They are 100% the same, except a GAL chip on the motherboard. I replaced my Crystal of Kings motherboard with one from one of the korean games when mine crapped out (and took the GAL from mine and put it in the korean one).

madman

Great info, guys. I was unaware of the Office Yeo In Cheon Ha game. It's crazy that a system existed with so few games, it makes the PGM's library look enormous in comparison.