Shock Troopers 2 lets have it!!

ChrisB

Another Striker
Is it me.... I've really put some time in to shock troopers I absolutely love that game something just keeps keep me playing it the tunes the cotrols everything just the buzz of the game.

That leads me on to this, ive just cracked open my shockbox containing shock troopers 2nd squad and I use the term "shock troopers" lightly is it me or is this game just a complete abomination the controls are horrible and just playing the 1st stage the slow down is bad.

This game for me is just horrid compared to the 1st one. Your thoughts..

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Is it me.... I've really put some time in to shock troopers I absolutely love that game something just keeps keep me playing it the tunes the cotrols everything just the buzz of the game.

That leads me on to this, ive just cracked open my shockbox containing shock troopers 2nd squad and I use the term "shock troopers" lightly is it me or is this game just a complete abomination the controls are horrible and just playing the 1st stage the slow down is bad.

Someone in their office said "I dare you to make a game running at 5fps" "YOU SAID WHOT MATE??! GIMME THAT PROGRAMMER!"

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't think it's a horrible game, it's just not as good as the first one. There are worse games to be had.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's a great game that happens to suffer the SSIII syndrome being always compared with it's previous entry, it has mostly nothing to share with, but the name. I saw many games like ST1, Mercs only being the prime example, but I never played something like ST2S before. It is kawaii deformed, yet still quite tough & severe. The James Bond vibe was never better fulfilled, than it is in this game. It dismisses the memory card blast through formula, just as it does dismiss people, who fail to understand it. A masterpiece & the only real MS alternative.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
The first Shock Troopers is just a complete package (gameplay, graphics, music, level design) while in Shock Troopers 2 you will have to do with a little less i gues.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

You can overclock the Neo Geo's 68000 CPU, which, to some extent, fixes the slowdown problem. The Neo Geo is better at showing a couple of large sprites, like in fighting games, than a whole lot of of small sprites at once.
Gameplay-wise, it doesn't really compare to the first Shock Troopers, but not many run 'n' guns do. On the Neo there is only the first four Metal Slugs that can compare to Shock Troopers.

I think they are two completely different games. the first one is the better of the two in my humble onion.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Well i loved the original ST ...i really could not fault it & was very impressed when i first played it many moons ago...i remember having a converted to aes cart...
But then got into mvs & got the full kit, as i was also collecting NGH i aquired ST2 & i just put up with the slowdown...i did not mind it, it was pushing the Neo i guess with all that fancy graphics/very crowded screens & scaling etc...loved the music .
Coming back to the scene now.. i have re-ordered Shock troopers on Mvs & looking forward to playing it again:)...way to go Saurus

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I flat out don't like games that use pre-rendered or "tool-assisted" graphics instead of hand-drawn graphics. One of the things I like about video games is the artwork, and the pre-rendered stuff reeks of cheapness. The fact that so many budget titles use pre-rendered graphics really puts games like this into a cohort of shittiness.

I understand that pre-rendered graphics were all the rage in the 90's as it was something new (harbinger of 32 bit), but they sure did not age well. It's an example of an aesthetic that did not stand the test of time.

Gameplay of ST2 is decent. It's still fun, but ST1 is the whole package.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I just got ST2. I really like it. It's not as good as the original but it's different enough for me to not feel like I need to compare them.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I just got ST2. I really like it. It's not as good as the original but it's different enough for me to not feel like I need to compare them.
For me it's the difficulty of ST2 that really ruins it for me. You always die after two or three hits to your character, and health power-ups are almost non-existant, and you can't just switch to another team member when your health gets low. It's like Saurus knew the first game was too easy (people were getting too much play out of a credit), so they made changes to make ST2 tougher, without thinking about keeping the fun gameplay of the original. If they had wanted to make it tougher, they should have done it be making the enemy characters/bosses tougher. I think there were originally supposed to be 8 characters (and team play mode) in ST2, but those features were left out, presumably because they wanted to release the game before it was really finished.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
For me it's the difficulty of ST2 that really ruins it for me. You always die after two or three hits to your character, and health power-ups are almost non-existant, and you can't just switch to another team member when your health gets low. It's like Saurus knew the first game was too easy (people were getting too much play out of a credit), so they made changes to make ST2 tougher, without thinking about keeping the fun gameplay of the original. If they had wanted to make it tougher, they should have done it be making the enemy characters/bosses tougher. I think there were originally supposed to be 8 characters (and team play mode) in ST2, but those features were left out, presumably because they wanted to release the game before it was really finished.

Fair enough, but from what people are saying, I think what the true consensus is, is that it could have and should have been better. I don't think that makes it a bad game.

What I am surprised to hear is that people like the music. I think it's the worst part of the game. The boss music on the train level in particular is really awful.

fake

15 Year Member
By the way, gameplay tip: You only get power-ups, bonuses, grenades, and HP by meleeing enemies.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
By the way, gameplay tip: You only get power-ups, bonuses, grenades, and HP by meleeing enemies.
Sometimes (in ST1) you can get power-ups by destroying crates and tanks. But the primary way is by meleeing enemies/bosses.
You hardly get any health powerups in ST2, no matter how many enemies you melee.

Last edited: