Reccomend a Shooter like Fire Shark

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I haven't played a shooter since Thunder Force in high school. Recently got the urge to play again. I am really enjoying Fire Shark. I much prefer these shooters with a military theme. Can you recommend other games like it? I prefer older consoles, but would not be opposed to games on the newer ones. Thanks.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
love fire shark. probably on my top five genesis/megadrive shooters list. as for games i would recommend to some who enjoyed fire shark would be truxton and grind stormer. both games are quite similar to fire shark imo. if i'm not mistaken, truxton and fire shark were made by the same people.

last time i checked, grind stormer was going for over £100. but truxton should be easier to come by and cost a lot less.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Strikers 1945 series minus the neo one
USAAF Mustang
Aero Fighters series

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Check out tiger heli also hellfire, zero wing and slap fight which are not WW2 themed but another three toaplan goodies, these guy's made some mint shooters back in the day. Right up there with treasure as one of the premier dev's for sega.
After they folded former employee's went on to form cave, raizing and takumi, now that is some legacy.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
To a lesser extent Varth (Capcom), Hammer Away (SEGA/Santos) & Ajax (Konami) could fit the requirements, too. But maybe this spoiler will be more convincing?

Spoiler:
18212401.jpg

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Hammer Away is fucking terrible.

Twin Cobra/Sky Shark are the most obvious places to be. There's a doujin called Twin Tiger Shark that's pretty good. Daisenpu is right on the money themewise but it's pretty average imo. 1943 and Kai are good shouts from Capcom. Do you like games that actually play like Fire Shark or just anything with a military theme?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
SAME ! SAME ! SAME !
samesamesame.jpg

The similarities are astounding. It actually plays a bit different though and is worth checking out.

90s

Do you like games that actually play like Fire Shark or just anything with a military theme?

Both. I really like the way Fire Shark plays and I appreciate the military theme. It also helps that the music is freaking great. I'm just starting out with shooters, but I'm already finding I have certain preferences. I'm gonna try to keep an open mind though. Thanks for the suggestions. I hope to check a lot of these out. I probably won't be able to play the ones that are arcade only though as I don't know how to go about it at this time.

Last edited:

90s

I think he's looking for verts, not whores. :lolz:

That ad is pretty compelling though. :lolz: Yeah, I'm finding I like verts more though; it just feels more natural and that I can follow the game better.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
After they folded former employee's went on to form cave, raizing and takumi, now that is some legacy.

How could you leave out Gazelle? Do you like your socks *that* much?

cat

How could you leave out Gazelle? Do you like your socks *that* much?

Never heard of them wataru, but after a quick google trawl i most certainly know air gallet which is one of their games, i've had it running on my xbox under either FBA pro or FB legends, or was it mame? can't remember now, it's been a while,

way to tough for my very average shooter skills though.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Gameplay-wise Truxton is pretty similar. Other good shooters with some sort of military theme off the top of my head: Battle Bakraid/Garegga, Progear, Sorcer Striker, Raiden/Raiden Fighters, Varth, Aero Fighters, Daioh, Donpachi/Dodonpachi, Guardian Force.

cat

I might be in the minority but how about Ghost Pilots?

Sorry geise but ghost pilots is probably my least favourite shooter on the neo, if you dig it that's cool but not feeling the love over here.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Why? It's the best one IMO. It's one of my favorite Neo shmups.

Has "Battle Garegga" been mentioned already? Didn't see it.

Strikers on the Neo feels like they tried to cram a vert shooter onto a hori screen, as opposed to say Mars Matrix or Radiant Silvergun where they feel like they were made for the hori screen.

While it may be one of the better Neo shooters, compared to the rest of the Striker series it feels like a bastard child.