AES carts at reasonable price

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Metal Slug 1, Neo Turf Masters and Puzzle Bobble should all be in the $50-60 range or so.

Whoops, that's for MVS and you can't even get Puzzle Bobble on AES.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Samuraiu Shodown II
Fatal Fury Special
Nam 75
Blue's Journey
Magician Lord

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Pretty much what Panda said. Most of the first year games can still be had cheap, but only Nam, Blues, and (maybe) Magician Lord are really worth a damn. Fatal Fury Special is the best value on the Neo by far. I'd also add Samurai Shodown 1 to the list, but if money is tight you don't necessarily need both 1 and 2, and most people consider 2 superior.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Samuraiu Shodown II
Fatal Fury Special
Nam 75
Blue's Journey
Magician Lord

That's the list pretty much. I'd add Baseball Stars 2. Also Japanese KOF games can still be had reasonably cheap (KOF 96/98) so to me those are good values.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Pretty much what Panda said. Most of the first year games can still be had cheap, but only Nam, Blues, and (maybe) Magician Lord are really worth a damn. Fatal Fury Special is the best value on the Neo by far. I'd also add Samurai Shodown 1 to the list, but if money is tight you don't necessarily need both 1 and 2, and most people consider 2 superior.

You forgot crossed swords & ghost pilots.......over $100ish

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Don't forger super sidekicks. Even if you are not a soccer fan it is a really fun title.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Pretty much what Panda said. Most of the first year games can still be had cheap, but only Nam, Blues, and (maybe) Magician Lord are really worth a damn.

League Bowling? Let's call it honorable mention? I know, it's called panhandling ;).

Both first Art of Fighting games are cheap, the latter could be considered as "best" material. Alpha Mission II may not be dirt cheap, but it's currently the most inexpensive STG on the system together with Ghost Pilots. Sengoku is cheapish, but so overshadowed by it's two sequels, that you'll deliver some unhealthy complexes. The ADK novice package could be worth a try with Crossed Swords & Thrash Rally. Damn, cheap & best are not that easy...

Summary (plus personal choices)

Versus Fighting:
Art of Fighting 2
Garou Densetsu 2-Real Bout
KoF '94-'97
Samurai Spirits I-III

STG
Alpha Mission II

Jum'n'run
Blues Journey

Sports
League Bowling
Super Sidekicks 2
2020 Super Baseball

Brawler
Sengoku

Racing
Thrash Rally

First Person Slasher
Crossed Swords

Third Person Crosshair Shooter
NAM-1975

Action jump'n'run
Magician Lord

Just cheap, not best... World Heroes 1-Jet, Art of Fighting 1, Garou Densetsu 1, Football Frenzy, Soccer Brawl, Ghost Pilots, The Super Spy, Ninja Combat, Top Player's Golf, Riding Hero, Baseball Stars Professional, Galaxy Fight.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Ninja Combat is a decent brawler. If you don't mind loose copies than Robo Army, Eightman and Cyberlip can be acquired for under $200 each with some hunting.

Last edited:

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I've found a few early AES games cart only at about half the prices of boxed ones. Ignoring the manual, are MVS boxes the same size as AES boxes? (i'd like them be at least the same height so they fit on my bookshelf...)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I've found a few early AES games cart only at about half the prices of boxed ones. Ignoring the manual, are MVS boxes the same size as AES boxes? (i'd like them be at least the same height so they fit on my bookshelf...)

The AES carts are about the same dimensions as MVS ones, however they do not stack well because they have some protruding part in the back. The boxes are a different story, MVS boxes are cardboard only, AES clamshells are plastic, better quality, they do not have the same size, but are close.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Sam Spirits, FFS jpn, are by far the best bang for your buck after that theres a whole whack of decent title to choose from but none of the other fighters in that price range will come close to the quality of the two i mentioned. Fighters Histroy Dynamite is a good one though, but a fairly close Street fighter clone. KOF 94 isnt too expensive, most KOF are reasonable as well. For non fighters i would highly recommend 2020 baseball, lots of fun with a friend.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
No one has mentiond Soccer Brawl, lots of fun too. Not as common as some of the previously mentioned titles but not insanely priced either

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some of you guys' have a very different idea of "reasonable prices" than I do. Meh games like Ghost Pilots and Alpha Mission 2 are well over $100 these days, totally not worth it. Good call on AOF 1 and 2 though.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
MVS boxes are cardboard only, AES clamshells are plastic, better quality, they do not have the same size, but are close.

What about the shockboxes? They are said to work with AES but how do they compare in size to AES boxes?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The Shockboxes are taller and thicker than the AES boxes, and they are high-quality and more durable. Plus they look great with the large art inserts.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I think they've all been said already, but I just thought I'd say that FFS really is the best value on the system, in my opinion. I sold 2 'gamer condition' AES copies to a member on here a few months back for £30 total. It still holds up too, I've spent plenty of hours playing it. Obviously it doesn't really compare to Real Bout Special or Garou, but it's better value for money.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No one has mentiond Soccer Brawl, lots of fun too.

Just cheap, not best... World Heroes 1-Jet, Art of Fighting 1, Garou Densetsu 1, Football Frenzy, Soccer Brawl, Ghost Pilots, The Super Spy, Ninja Combat, Top Player's Golf, Riding Hero, Baseball Stars Professional, Galaxy Fight.

Too late + it is quite pricey actually.

Some of you guys' have a very different idea of "reasonable prices" than I do. Meh games like Ghost Pilots and Alpha Mission 2 are well over $100 these days, totally not worth it. Good call on AOF 1 and 2 though.

One can't live on Versus Fighters alone and these are the most inexpensive STG-titles for the Neo. With Alpha Mission being truly excellent and Ghost Pilots giving you at least the bang for your bucks in terms of length -- it's like two games in one actually. The MS3 last level syndrome is already present here, for this game has been clearly designed with the memory card feature in mind, just like Puzzled & Crossed Swords.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nah, bang for the buck is getting superior shooters on Neo CD:

Aero Fighters 2 $30
Aero Fighters 3 $40
Pulstar $75
Last Resort $30

FWIW I bought NOS of Alpha Mission 2 and Ghost Pilots. I hated AM2 and Ghost Pilots literally put me to sleep. I was super happy to trade those for something I still use to this day.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
The Shockboxes are taller and thicker than the AES boxes.

There goes my plan of getting shockboxes as replacement AES boxes for loose carts :confused: From a search here it looks like the box could go up to $50, plus I need to add the cost of the insert and shipping.

I've found a Magician Lord boxed at $128 and the loose cart at around $50. Looks like I might as well get the proper kit if I really want to have a box...

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
There goes my plan of getting shockboxes as replacement AES boxes for loose carts :confused: From a search here it looks like the box could go up to $50, plus I need to add the cost of the insert and shipping.

I've found a Magician Lord boxed at $128 and the loose cart at around $50. Looks like I might as well get the proper kit if I really want to have a box...

Authentic AES boxes are few and far between. The only halfway reliable source I know of are the reproductions here at the Neo Store. They restock periodically.

http://www.neostore.com/New-style-clasp-case-snap-lock-for-AES-cartridge-p/1361.htm