Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
yes but the past due taxes from the previous owner are still due on your new cardboard home after purchase.

If we keep pouring our money into big pizza were all in for a rude awakening or at the very least a bad case of diarrhea.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
lead in the water supply

That's Flint, man.

To be honest I'm from MI and I don't even know what the fuck Detroit style actually means, but I'm sure as fuck picking one up on the way home from work today thanks to this thread.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That's Flint, man.

To be honest I'm from MI and I don't even know what the fuck Detroit style actually means, but I'm sure as fuck picking one up on the way home from work today thanks to this thread.

My condolences on the loss of bowel control.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
HnR is one of the only pizza's that actually gives me constipation. I must be one of the lucky ones.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
HnR is one of the only pizza's that actually gives me constipation. I must be one of the lucky ones.

Bubz could eat an HnR covered in laxatives and still be backed up. Two years of impacted fettuccine will do that to a man.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Bubz could eat an HnR covered in laxatives and still be backed up. Two years of impacted fettuccine will do that to a man.

When he eventually dies of heart failure, the amount of pasta in his bowels could feed a small African nation.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
:lolz: comment read: "Heavy insertion marks and a loose vag. Failed to meet mint quality standard."

DONKEYDONG!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 Welcome back brotha!!! :D

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
beste_pizzeria_muenster.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Interested in this. Hoping they go with one game at a time. Four and a battery is dumb. Why not 12 and a battery? Why not two and a smaller battery? Keep it simple, and just load one game into memory at a time. No reason to over-complicate a NG multi-cart.

It would be nice to finally get a cart without all the hacks. Hope this happens, and it's a little better fleshed out than the STV and CPS2 multi carts. They definitely felt like products that were not quite ready for the mass public. I mean, I get it. Keep costs down, and move a few dip switches here or there, but they're far from elegant. I wouldn't even mind having a system where we had to flash via the computer and load ROMs up that way. Just mini USB into the board and a simple script or executable to do a ROM dump to cart. That way it's open for any home brew peeps as well without any real hassle.

Anyway. Looking forward to this one, and hoping it sees a release.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So, their focus is on making all ORIGINAL games playable..

Why is homebrew still coming up?

I agree, I think the flash cart should only be geared toward original games and not homebrew unless the creator of the game/rights owner classifies it as abandonware and is fine with the rom being distributed.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Interested in this. Hoping they go with one game at a time. Four and a battery is dumb. Why not 12 and a battery? Why not two and a smaller battery? Keep it simple, and just load one game into memory at a time. No reason to over-complicate a NG multi-cart.

It would be nice to finally get a cart without all the hacks. Hope this happens, and it's a little better fleshed out than the STV and CPS2 multi carts. They definitely felt like products that were not quite ready for the mass public. I mean, I get it. Keep costs down, and move a few dip switches here or there, but they're far from elegant. I wouldn't even mind having a system where we had to flash via the computer and load ROMs up that way. Just mini USB into the board and a simple script or executable to do a ROM dump to cart. That way it's open for any home brew peeps as well without any real hassle.

Anyway. Looking forward to this one, and hoping it sees a release.

Yeah, I hope this has a menu front-end on it, if they got someone onboard who can code the Neo Geo, this shouldn't be a problem...

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
This thread is all over the place.

I'm down for whatever, I guess. As long as it isn't a piece of shit and frys my boards cause China.

Refrigerator.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
We now know that some games will not be original in the sense that they will require patching, This does not apply to every game however but there will be some that will be the same as the bootlegs out there already and a handful that may not work at all. Its early days still at this point though so it may change. It certainly cannot be assumed today that the device will work with all original games titles until darksoft says so (some game may end up being incompatible). I'm sure its his aim, just don't take it as read yet that it will.

On the two types of devices put forward the specs have changed slightly. The loading time in option 2 has gone from 40 seconds to 75 seconds (for the large games). Option 1 has had the battery option removed. For this reason many look to have changed to want option 1 instead.

Relating to option 1 there is a mixed signal coming from darksoft and mitsu as to how it would swap between 4 games. Mitsu says it will emulate a 4SLOT, darksoft says he does not want to insert code for game swapping. I'm more inclined to think it will more end up as darksoft currently suggests in that it will more closely emulate how a 4in1 multicart would work (without a menu) than a true 4SLOT. On AES for example I take darksofts idea is to have a button on the cart you press and the next game will come in (please correct me if I'm wrong). Its not the ideal way, defo not like a true 4SLOT, but its not bad either from an AES standpoint at least.

When thinking about swapping between 4 games as a real multislot would, its not just the reloading of soft dips you need to think about (although that is a vital component). There is the backupRAM to load/save if MVS. There is the attract mode cycle to handle and only allowing game swapping dependant on softdip setting. Most importantly however would be how credits are handled. On a genuine 4SLOT you insert a credit and can then cycle between 4 games, the system must not be allowed to reset at all during game swaps or you loose your credit. To truly do game swapping like a 4SLOT all these criteria would need to be met. Its possible to do all this from within the cart with no bios help but custom code would be required on the cart to handle it.

I have one query as its not been mentioned yet I believe. Will the SD card placement be inside the cart or will one have access to push it in and pop it out without opening the cart shell?

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
They have now looked to have scrapped the voting idea / changed its meaning from choosing what cart design they will go with (darksoft clearly said 'research time is over') to collecting more ideas and research only. I feel because the poll put forward did not go the way they ideally wanted or was quite close they are now backtracking some. The specs also changed after the poll was put up.

My personal opinion, both ideas were not the best by a long way (two extremes) so its probably a good thing they have gone back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
In a real multislot, how does the BIOS know the game has changed? Can that even be truly implemented from the cart slot only?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
In a real multislot, how does the BIOS know the game has changed? Can that even be truly implemented from the cart slot only?

The bios controls the game switching as opposed to "polling" and checking if the game is switched. All the lower level functions including game switching are done by bios calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.