Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Rot, you will notice my english is worst some days, this happens when i am exausted.

We have been 2 weeks without stock and we got another batch yesterday, i been working until 2am and today i woke up at 8:00 to get everything shipped by monday.

I am really tired, i should be with my familly at the beach house, but i am at the city flashing kof2k3 ...

I'm happy to hear that your having a hard time keeping up with demand. It sucks because you have to work really hard but it's great because people love your product.

I'm happy I went with the NeoSd instead of the Ds one. It's a excellent product.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
All I can say is that if Darksoft wants to have the last laugh, he just needs to make and release a superior product to the NeoSD. Full stop. Hype and promises are just vapor. Put up or shut up.

Pretty safe bet that isn't going to happen.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I'm happy to hear that your having a hard time keeping up with demand. It sucks because you have to work really hard but it's great because people love your product.

I'm happy I went with the NeoSd instead of the Ds one. It's a excellent product.

Thanks for your words.

It took time to get decent sale numbers, last months have been pretty good on sales numbers.
We are happy, cause we put a lot of work there and its nice to get this work back on sales. Product feedback has been good aswel, everything works fine and i would say there is only one thing worth to add pending to be added on the software side.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Someone gonna make a cps1 multi or what?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Someone gonna make a cps1 multi or what?

+1

I want to sell my CPS1, too volatile. Too much money and too much grief associated with the hardware.

What a great selection of games though, when it was beat 'em up or broke!

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Aren't most cps1 failures the customs on the A boards? A multi won't help you there.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Aren't most cps1 failures the customs on the A boards? A multi won't help you there.

What would you know about this shit retro? You wanna blue? YOU WANNA BLUE??!!

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Indeed: http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45917&sid=3e684af6f60f5fa2f50b7dee3d38cb65 problem is that project is dead, one year has passed and no new board made and/or shipped and the guy only ships to France. I hope the guy won't let the ship sink and pass the project onto someone else.

Damn! How come I haven't heard about this? It's an instant buy. It's a shame it doesn't support Q Sound, though. The only Q Sound games I see on the list are bootlegs. Nevertheless, would buy for sure. Fingers crossed it gets released.

I could always use my Captain Commando for this, since the board died on me a while back, and I wouldn't mind converting it to a multi instead of resurrecting it.

Last edited:

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
The issue is that this was a thing years ago, several boards were shipped and it worked flawlessly, even with almost instant loading times, you really couldn't ask for better.

I'm kind of angry as I've been digging a bit and it seems like there were some people who reached out to aje_fr asking if he was interested in mass producing them and it looked like he turned them down.

Now we have a great project getting dust and, sadly, slowly descending into oblivion, to the point where people will just forget about it.

I know Darksoft has a board and, despite how people get triggered just reading his name here, at this point I hope he reverse engineer it and starts producing them.

neodev

Neosd Tech
The issue is that this was a thing years ago, several boards were shipped and it worked flawlessly, even with almost instant loading times, you really couldn't ask for better.

I'm kind of angry as I've been digging a bit and it seems like there were some people who reached out to aje_fr asking if he was interested in mass producing them and it looked like he turned them down.

Now we have a great project getting dust and, sadly, slowly descending into oblivion, to the point where people will just forget about it.

I know Darksoft has a board and, despite how people get triggered just reading his name here, at this point I hope he reverse engineer it and starts producing them.

Maybe he's working on a CPS1 multi, who knows.

There are several issues to overcome to make a proper CPS1 flash board.
First, you need a donor C board, as it does some important graphics work apart from protection. I guess the current cps1 multi redirects the programmable addresses to the proper ones based on the C board model, and if the C board is an old one without multiply protection, computes the values itself.

Then, there are several revisions of the CPS1 mainboard, some run at 12MHz and some at 10, so you need a "good" one if you want to play all the games.

And finally, there are the CPS1-Qsound games, I think that multi runs bootleg versions with the sound program running on the standard cps1 hardware, that is crap compared to the qsound hardware quality.

So, in order to have it working properly for all games, you'll need a "fast" cps1 A board, with the qsound board (that combo is ultra rare and expensive), then a working game that can donate the C board, and just replace the B board with the multi. That's not a good approach.

That is of course if you want a perfect quality multi, if you just want one that plays older games, and the qsound ones with crap sound, then an standard board is enough.

So a good quality cps1 multi should contain, apart from the hardware for the rom data serving, a C board emulation, and qsound hardware emulation. Still you will require one of the latest A boards with the fast 68k, but that's more manageable.

Ah, and also it should have a proper menu :)

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Correct.

In fact, the best way to have the aje_fr CPS1 working was using a Pang3 as it had the short version of the motherboard (newer one IIRC) and had the B21 chip (non suicide, which is nice) which has the best compatibility. Plus there are a ton of them in the wild and don't cost a fortune.

And yeah, Q sound games were off the table, but those were just Punisher and Cadillac and Dinosaurs IIRC, personally I could live without them and just play the hacked versions if I wanted a good evening playing with my friends.

For the menu: I'm one of the (very) few who's 100% against menu and prefer something like a physical switch or similar to change the game, so that the board would just boot straight into the game to have it behave 100% like the original hardware.
But it's just me, I can absolutely see the convenience of a menu and won't argue against it, it's definitely the right choice for 99% of the people.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Correct.

In fact, the best way to have the aje_fr CPS1 working was using a Pang3 as it had the short version of the motherboard (newer one IIRC) and had the B21 chip (non suicide, which is nice) which has the best compatibility. Plus there are a ton of them in the wild and don't cost a fortune.

And yeah, Q sound games were off the table, but those were just Punisher and Cadillac and Dinosaurs IIRC, personally I could live without them and just play the hacked versions if I wanted a good evening playing with my friends.

For the menu: I'm one of the (very) few who's 100% against menu and prefer something like a physical switch or similar to change the game, so that the board would just boot straight into the game to have it behave 100% like the original hardware.
But it's just me, I can absolutely see the convenience of a menu and won't argue against it, it's definitely the right choice for 99% of the people.

Also Warriors of Fate that is a quite good game IMO.

Well, having a menu doesn't mean that it always has to boot to the menu. NeoSD has a menu, but by default it always boots to the last flashed game as if it were an original cart, with no bootstraping or other intervention.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Also Warriors of Fate that is a quite good game IMO.

I think Muscle Bomber games use Q Sound as well. As for bootlegs, I haven't had much experience with Q Sound ones, but I do have one of Cadillacs, and to begin with, it's mono. Plus, a lot of music is missing, and some of the tunes are shortened. They loop really quickly. Is there anything that could be called a "decent" Cadillacs bootleg out there?

As for the CPS Multi, if the guy is simply uninterested, why not open source the design? I get it. It's his work, and maybe he just doesn't have the time to mass produce the boards, but it's a damn shame. And if he waits, someone else will come along and either reverse his work or do it from scratch. CPS has a decent amount of games, and good ones at that. It deserves a multi, just like any other CPS does.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
As for the CPS Multi, if the guy is simply uninterested, why not open source the design? I get it. It's his work, and maybe he just doesn't have the time to mass produce the boards, but it's a damn shame.

This. I really hope someone manages to talk him into it.

Or NeoSD does something about it like *cough* their new project *cough* which might be a CPS1 *and* CPS2 multi all-in-one *cough*

neosd

Neosd Developer
This. I really hope someone manages to talk him into it.

Or NeoSD does something about it like *cough* their new project *cough* which might be a CPS1 *and* CPS2 multi all-in-one *cough*

Just to be clear, we have not stopped.

We have 3 prototypes for 3 different products already built.
One of the projects began before NEOSD was released, other one began when NEOSD was released and the last one started in January.

We have also hired another engeneer this year, so we are putting more resources there. The development plan for next year is even bigger, we are working on hiring more engeneers.

Big things take big time, a rom emulator with an lcd screen takes no time but its crap, donエt expect anything that is not great for us.

So 3 projects are comming, i wont give details about what we are doing or when those are going to be released, but winter is comming for sure.

Just be patient, we want to build a perfect product for each system.

Alex,

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Just to be clear, we have not stopped. We have 3 prototypes for 3 different products already built.

Puuh-leeeease, let one of these be a IGS PGM multi! Though I do hear protection is a major issue with these games. But hey, I can wait! A proper Naomi 2 multi would also be great. No net dimms.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Puuh-leeeease, let one of these be a IGS PGM multi! Though I do hear protection is a major issue with these games. But hey, I can wait! A proper Naomi 2 multi would also be great. No net dimms.
Yeah, PGM would be awesome.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Neosd has sent me images of the prototype...

Spoiler:
3968795045_e00b55afab.jpg

xROTx

Status
Not open for further replies.