Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
New video up for those who are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCtalleb3s0

Really glad I went with neosd, tbh. I don't like how it has load before each boot up, even if you've only got 1 slot loaded--doesn't truly behave like a real cart which is a bummer.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Nothing much new here, just a few changes. Let's see the hardware.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Nothing much new here, just a few changes. Let's see the hardware.

Seriously. How hard is it to pan the camera down!? NeoSD team from day 1 showed the hardware in front of the TV. For all we know it's running on a PC with RGB out!!

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Seriously. How hard is it to pan the camera down!? NeoSD team from day 1 showed the hardware in front of the TV. For all we know it's running on a PC with RGB out!!

It indicates it is in an extremely rough prototype stage and aren't anywhere near ready to go into production. They want to string people along so that they don't go ahead and buy NeoSD. If people saw the state of the prototype, they probably fear they'll lose even more potential market share.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've been told that the Euroguys are wetting their pants over the DS release... and some have already started selling their collections:p

..It's pretty awesome tbh...

xROTx

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've been told that the Euroguys are wetting their pants over the DS release... and some have already started selling their collections:p

..It's pretty awesome tbh...

xROTx

Can someone redpill me on why someone would wait for this when we have a pretty much perfect flash cart atm? What do they promise over neosd? Load times?

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Can someone redpill me on why someone would wait for this when we have a pretty much perfect flash cart atm? What do they promise over neosd? Load times?

Essentially... that's it..

They don't see that it takes 35 seconds each time for the menu to load...:keke:

Darksofts Business model Part 1:
1. Come onto one of the most aggressive gaming sites on the net and state they can make a project happen....
2. Start pissing off the Tech Guys who are asking questions...
3. Start getting all high and mighty about their need not to answer any questions...
4. Start pissing off one of the most irritable Azn's on the website...
5. Get Neutered... by said irritable Azn..

Darksofts Business model Part 2:
1. Realise they've been beaten to the punch by a rival project...
2. Start bitchin and character assassination of the new project...
3. Realise they may have to produce something... puts on a mass marketing campaign with crappy youtube videos over 12 MONTHS!
4. In the background they attack the other project...

Sounds about right to me...

xROTx

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
oh man, at this point they're just hurting other potential projects that might have/have been good.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
whats up @ minute 12:00-12:23? comparison with neosd and a proof that the neosd loads faster? WTF?

Its misleading also given it fades out the neosd picture 5 seconds before the ds actually starts doing anything with attract mode. In effect the ds project requires 2 system boots and that should be included in the times. Waiting that long from every cold boot would become boring very quickly I feel, 4 seconds vs 25 seconds. What that means in reality is it only takes 7 or 8 cold boots of ds device for it to steal more 'system power on time' than the neoSD when it comes to kof2003 flashing.

Whats with that spooky creeky door opening sound also....

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
whats up @ minute 12:00-12:23? comparison with neosd and a proof that the neosd loads faster? WTF?

The other thing I noticed is the sound glitching (repeating) there on the intro and he was quick to skip the animated intro on Kof2K3. And as Raz says - that 20+ second delay on every boot will get old fast. I like the 'Second Reality' music though - we need someone to create a ROM with that music. Still curious to see how things pan out with this.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Whoa what's with all those glitchy sound effects upon switching games and the boot up? Too much fluff, the NeoSD just gets the job done without the bullshit.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
The fact I already have my Neo SD AES cart, and am using it - and I can boot straight into the last game I loaded instantly...I don't get all this. I'm all for seeing what they can do, it just feels like too little too late. I'm over here playing games, assigning favorites in a slick menu and not waiting for said menu to load.

neosd

Neosd Developer
The other thing I noticed is the sound glitching (repeating) there on the intro and he was quick to skip the animated intro on Kof2K3. And as Raz says - that 20+ second delay on every boot will get old fast. I like the 'Second Reality' music though - we need someone to create a ROM with that music. Still curious to see how things pan out with this.

We have noticed the sound glitches aswel. This is a design issue, no one there had a picture about how to do the entire project, this was done by a pile of monkeys with limited skills. I fear theyr pain while trying to get this running without glitches.

I can´t wait to see if it ever gets released and watch people complaining about glitches everywhere. They can´t even get it working without glitches on theyr testing setup, its really going to be fun to see it running outside there, on real world.

In the meainwhile, we will have another more year with those videos shooted in the darkness showing nothing more than glitches and shame.

Someone should donate those guys a few bucks so they can buy a proper camera and a light bulb. Or even better, they can open the window and let some daylight show there, this seems recorded in Transylvani ratter than Poland, on the next video Dracula will show there performing the metal slug dance ... while dancing Beverly Hills Cop tune

BTW, if they need a name for the device here are my two suggestions :

Now Loading Station
Glitching Station

Darsof, en la vida hay que saber perder, no todo es ganar. Si no aprendes a perder, corres el riesgo de ser un perdedor toda tu vida.

Mis saludos. Y sí, había dos maneras de hacer esto :

Un cartucho que funciona y otro que da verguenza mes tras mes.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
BTW, if they need a name for the device here are my two suggestions :

Now Loading Station
Glitching Station.

Oh man, I hope they read this. Feel the burn...

I'm suprised they didn't just give up their failure of a product, clone yours and put a different bios in it and claim it was there design all along (wouldn't put it past them). At least there is some evidence that they are using a difference approach. I'm not techincally minded, but you can see in the video when they switch from Metal Slug 4 (about 2 minutes 20 into the video) there is a ghost image and noise from MS4 carrying over for a few seconds - I guess they need better approach to clean and flush the ram?

Anyway, Darksoft are pricks so f*ck em.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
... no one there had a picture about how to do the entire project, this was done by a pile of monkeys with limited skills ... videos shooted in the darkness showing nothing more than glitches and shame ... this seems recorded in Transylvani ratter than Poland, on the next video Dracula will show there performing the metal slug dance - while dancing Beverly Hills Cop tune ... Now Loading Station, Glitching Station ... Si no aprendes a perder, corres el riesgo de ser un perdedor toda tu vida ... Y sí, había dos maneras de hacer esto: Un cartucho que funciona y otro que da verguenza mes tras mes.
anigif_enhanced-19961-1414084811-15.gif

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
In effect the ds project requires 2 system boots and that should be included in the times.

This is one of the reasons why I don't get the whole "three slots" concept. It's clearly capable of loading large games faster than NeoSD. Why not load the game you want to play each time you want to play it? It's what happens either way, because if populated with titles, all three slots will flash at start-up! Even if right then and there you want to play a different, fourth game. Ditch the slots, make it boot to menu, problem solved.

GadgetUK said:
I like the 'Second Reality' music though - we need someone to create a ROM with that music.

It would be cool if it played the actual MOD file, but I'm guessing it's just streaming PCM. It looks like you have the ability to choose between several songs, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could put your own music on the SD card. While this is interesting, it's definitely not a feature I would use, since turning off UI sounds was the first setting I changed on NeoSD [which resulted in me thinking my jukebox doesn't work].

neosd said:
We have noticed the sound glitches aswel. This is a design issue, no one there had a picture about how to do the entire project, this was done by a pile of monkeys with limited skills. I fear theyr pain while trying to get this running without glitches.

Judging from what he says in the last bit of the video, they're aware of the issues left to resolve, but all of that can be done in firmware. That's why they feel they're ready to take pre-orders. I know they're competition, but I wouldn't be so harsh. While I seriously love NeoSD, it wasn't completely issue free for everyone. The more people use it, the better it's tested. Name an actively supported flash cartridge that doesn't keep on fixing issues as they are being discovered by users.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Judging from what he says in the last bit of the video, they're aware of the issues left to resolve, but all of that can be done in firmware. That's why they feel they're ready to take pre-orders. I know they're competition, but I wouldn't be so harsh. While I seriously love NeoSD, it wasn't completely issue free for everyone. The more people use it, the better it's tested. Name an actively supported flash cartridge that doesn't keep on fixing issues as they are being discovered by users.

NEOSD was release on day one without known issues, and yes, some issues showed, some we were unable to see while testing.

You donエt know if an issue can be solved until its solved, there is always this risk while producing hardware.

Stated that, we saw the video and we thing we know where is the root of theyr problems and its on the hardware design, as i said this was designed by monkeys and this is the root of theyr problem to get it working.

Reading theyr forum, one can get an idea about what they are planing, let me quote it :

Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
3 hours ago+7
At this point the menu isn't going to change a whole lot. We have done our best to accommodate what people have asked for and like they say, you can't make everyone happy. The menu experience is customizable to suit your wants. You can have it go directly to the games list after hitting start on the loaded games list or have it go into the menu choices. You can boot directly to slot 1 without any button presses. You can now boot to slot 2 or 3 with a single button press. You can choose to have menu music or not, or change the song that plays as I did for this last video. You can turn off or on animations in the game select screen. With a few settings changes the game list navigates no different than NeoSD. One thing that won't change is the few seconds the cart needs to boot and test/set itself up due to the nature of the design (use of ram). Even with the three largest games it won't take more than 40 seconds to boot. And that is completely your CHOICE as well. You don't HAVE to use all three slots. You can choose to use one and have it boot quicker. I purposely included the NeoSD boot times after the games are loaded so people couldn't bitch about it.

Now, most of the issues you are noticing on the games is mechanical in nature. These protos are not the best. We very early on found that the interconnects needed to be changed. Our protos do not have any mechanical upgrades. This causes the lines you see sometimes. Seating the cart differently changes that. We've even had one tester experience major issues that the other testers could not reproduce on their cart with the same pcb type in certain games. We know this is a problem with the design of the proto. We are ordering a small batch of final run design to verify everything similar to how we did with F3. After everything is verified we will go into full production.

Most if not all of the sound issues in the video can be attributed to my pcb. It has some sound issues as can be heard when I boot the pcb in the vid. It happens with regular Neo carts too.

The ability to boot directly to a slot was kind of "an afterthought" I guess. It was not intended when we began designing. It is a feature added because it was requested. Yes, we have the intention of allowing you to delete slots from the menu instead of doing it on the computer. That will be in a future update but for now the most important thing is to have a product that can go into production and function as originally intended. We are pretty much there. Due to the sheer amount of pcb revisions the Neo had there will certainly need to be fixes in future FW updates just like with the NeoSD. It will all be sorted in the end.

We will make this the best product we can.

MudGuts83

Beginner
3 hours ago
Thanks for the update video! Looks great, I can't wait to pre-order.
pulstarx

Beginner
2 hours ago
Well currently you guys have several small issues with the software that add up to a bigger problem for some of us. @daithidownunder described it best.

I'm sure a lot of awkward transitions and load times can be cut too. For instance not loading the music if it's off and not loading the gfx if the menu is set to simple list. Not having the menu ever pop up when it directly boots in a game. Showing which game is currently loaded and some simple percentage number. Implementing that stuff only takes a few hours but helps a lot. Every seconds counts in the startup process.
I would also turn off the MVS hardware test (jumpled greenscreen) with the cheat bios.
deibit

Professional
An hour ago+1
why do you need a percentage counter if the load takes only a few seconds?
Mitsurugi-w likes this.
pulstarx

Beginner
54 minutes ago
Why not? A progress bar is of course even better but takes 20 minutes to implement instead of 5 minutes.
It's important to show progress, that the device didn't hang itself while starring on a black screen.
Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
36 minutes ago
And some people wonder why we don't like menus.....just can't seem to please some of you. Jeez. LOL. We love listening to your suggestions but at this time we have let this project get bogged down long enough. We can continue to tweak things but we aren't going to delay this anymore. We can always update things later and also someone can write their own software when we release the source in a year or so. Menu updates will continue as long as needed, however. I've worked with the menu as is quite a bit and it works well.

You may think changes don't take long. The fact is that those of us working on this thing are on three different continents. Some of us have big time zone differences, etc. Never in the same room. All with real jobs and family to deal with first. We have a team on this. No one person does everything. Some of the people working on this want to be anonymous but you would be surprised to find out who they are.

This menu is the culmination of what most people wanted. Remember, we originally were not going to do a menu at all. So our first goal is to release a good, functional cart with great load times and a menu that works well and can have options adjusted. Can we offer a minimalist menu in the future? That's a definite maybe.
deibit

Professional
27 minutes ago
i see your point with the progress bar, but if it takes longer than 1 minute its obvious that something went wrong.

Imagine everybody would implement a counter for every short transition....

A progress bar is meaningful in a context where it takes very long to finish and where the probability to mess something up is big.. Like Windows installation, compressing a movie file, rendering a 3d model, load a game in the NeoSD etc etc. .
Mitsurugi-w

Arcade Admini-Moderator
25 minutes ago+1
I just talked to Darksoft, if any of you that are unhappy with the menu as is has coding experience and would like to help implement some of your ideas into the menu we would love to invite you onto the team. It can be your own little project.

Also, if you have VERY SPECIFIC ideas of what needs to be changed then please list them and we will try to see what we can do in an update in the near future.
aha2940 likes this.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Professional
5 minutes ago
I am going to use the NeoMuilty like an everdrive and turn off all the features. A simple text list of games (no music, no video, no animation) and select a game and load. The extra slots are nice and all to have more games but at the end of the day, I just want to select a game load and play:).. We all know all the Neogeo games, who needs videos and animation when we could be playing in seconds.. I love the Everdrives for that simplicity.
aha2940

Intermediate
2 minutes ago
deibit wrote:
i see your point with the progress bar, but if it takes longer than 1 minute its obvious that something went wrong.

Imagine everybody would implement a counter for every short transition....

A progress bar is meaningful in a context where it takes very long to finish and where the probability to mess something up is big.. Like Windows installation, compressing a movie file, rendering a 3d model, load a game in the NeoSD etc etc. .
I think the progress bar is a nice touch, to help you keep in mind that the machine is working. Progress bars are not needed for very small tasks, like loading roms on any other multicart (they take like a second) but this is neo-geo, nothing about this console is regular (LOL) so progress bars would be useful, even if they last "only" 20 seconds.
noonan2678

Beginner
A moment ago
Thanks for the ongoing commitment... Agreed that getting our hands on this is far more desirable than further software tweaks.

Mentioned before, but this is the one from my perspective (similar to SNK-NEO-GEO):

Ability to boot direct to the games list, select single game and launch.
Bypass slots and slot selection, RAM dumped on exit so nothing loaded at startup.

Allow me to summarize that :

They are going to release something they know it has flaws and they hope will be able to fix by software. This is pretty different than we did, we would never release anything knowing it has flaws.

They are promising things they lack the skills for, there are issues on this video that a skilled coder can fix in half a day.

Theyr fist plan was to release a cartridge without a menu, thanks god that NEOSD showed or a lot of people would have bought something terrible, not only half working but with an lcd screen.

They donエt work 10 hours a day on this project, cause they have a life and a real work. We spent 7 months more than 10 hours a day to polish every aspect of NEOSD and i repeat, we released it without known issues. Issues surfaced latter, and those were to SOME models of 4 slots boards, not all. I feel your pain cause you were one of the ones that suffered from those issues while other 4 slot users didnエt suffered from that.

You canエt do something as NEOSD without skilled people and full time dedication, do you remember our last christmas ? how many hours we spent doing tests, sending you firmware updates, to gadgetuk and others ? Thats why NEOSD costs so much, we have a dedicated team for that and we have addressed every single issue every single user had. We could have got the money and move along into other projects not spending a single working hour on neosd in late january, but we keept improving the product adding more functionality, this is why you have paid so much for NEOSD.

Theyr plan is not more than : get as many money as your can and keep with your life, just check CPS2 multi, users that bought that shit still suffer from glitches and use an LCD screen, This is what you can expect from such people and some users deserve that pain.

I repeat, nothing good canエt come from there, not only from the hardware and software design decisions they took, that are terrille, but from the way they work aswel.

Another example : Taito F3, 400 euros an LCD screen, this is a complete joke, we could have done this in one week of work. We have done a flashcart for a system in one day, with menu .... but you are not going to see low quality products from us, we wont sell anything we would never buy.

Also, if you think i/we donエt know how to win, cause face it or not, we already have won this, remember they are doing fake comparsions with our product day after day and all the shit they told about us.

Alex,

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well said neosd, case closed on who's won thats for sure.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm keen to see someone impartial like Yodd do a comparison video before the thing is released.

If I can get my hands on one, I would be more than happy to do an unbiased review.

I paid for my NEOSD out of pocket and if something better comes along I will be more than happy to state as such.

Conversely if Darksoft's Multi cart comes out and bombs with tons of glitches, errors and general usability issues, you better bet I would report that as well.

NEOSD has already set the bar pretty high with their Neo Geo multi game solution. At this point it's going to take more than fancy menu music to surpass it.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I think neosd summed it up quite well there, although I would say that while not serious issues by any means, neosd/neodev were aware of areas that did need improoving in the neoSD, and they did just that in following firmware releases. What really did help them was opening the neosd up for review by independant third partys before release (myself and others). it gave fresh eyes on their pre product and they took on board what was hilighted rather than rubbishing it.

The biggest error darksoft made in relation to his neogeo device was right at the beginning. He did a poll asking for the type of device people wanted. The result of that poll was clear, people wanted a device to be like the neoSD rather than a device with RAM. I am unsure why he did not listen and went againt opinion. In my view, if that poll was not done I am not sure the situation would be like it is today with the neosd released and another competing product still trying to be made ready for release.

I think even more people can see now that darksofts creation still neeeds to go a very long way before it can stand along side the neoSD as a truely competing product. It might get there eventually but even after the latest video its clear there is a long long way to go for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.