Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thinks its dram or so. at least that was talked once.

I never got the concept of 4-virtual-slots. espcial with fast loading times.

the menu looks bloated, but really advanced.

i like the pcb layout of the neosd more. guess they are using more sdvanced software for that.

i am actually happy with the neosd, but i collect multi carts so i ll get this on too.

at the wnd of the day i ll play the one with raz neo geo land :-)

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
this looks like a promissing pre-alpha...lets wait another year or two, to judge the final product. meanwhile everybody should get a neosd.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I have to say, it's hard not to be impressed by the loading times, but there's are some interface and software design decisions here which absolutely blow my mind, and not in a good way.

Since the cartridge uses volatile memory, any games flashed into the three available slots get wiped on power down. That's OK. Flashing them back takes no time at all. It took 20-something seconds to flash KoF 2003.

The cartridge remembers which games were assigned to which slot and re-flashes them back on power up! Which means getting to the first screen after boot up takes whatever amount of time is needed to populate three slots with games.

Once that is done, you get to the game selection screen. Here you can choose from one of three games that were just flashed and play them directly. This screen is timed. It can go to the main menu after 1 to 9 seconds. In reality, though, you have to wait at least ~12 seconds because you have to wait for the background transition, for the logo to scroll down, and for the Metal Slug hostage to skip on and off the screen.

I really hope all of this can be disabled and the cartridge will be able to boot to the menu directly. Like I said, with loading this fast, who needs the pre-flash on boot up? The biggest game will load in ~21 seconds!

I'm really happy with my NeoSD, but one thing I can appreciate in this cartridge is the MicroSD slot placement. It just makes sense.

Anyway, according to people behind the product, the menu is far from final, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one reacting to these weird procedures on boot up.

I'm curious about the case they'll be using and the AES version of the cartridge.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The very first thing Mitsurugi does in his video is talking shit on the NeoSD.

When someone decides to trip the front runner up that's because they know damn well they're not good enough to win the race.

Yup. I was watching the video, interested in learning what it had to offer. Then that shit started, and i just shut it off.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm getting a comic book guy vibe from this mitsu guy. His voice is annoying.

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Based on why I have seen so far I think it boils down to this. If you switch games often and want fast loading times then it's got to be the DarkSoft cart. If you're not switching between games all that often and unmodified roms are a must then the NeoSD is your go-to. Plus it is already on the market and confirmed to work very well and with good support. Even Misui mentioned that the NeoSD worked very well.
There's definitely a place for both offerings, and I'll probably go for one of each to be honest. One for AES and the other MVS.

It's a great time to be involved in the Neo scene.

(put this in the wrong thread earlier)

Last edited:

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
the price will make the difference. Nothing else. Loading times are not that creepy that you will pay additional 400,00 EUR for another Everdrive.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
i simply dont buy darksofts card because they wine all the time on neosd,they better keep their focus on their own product.
verry weak arguments also about the differences between the 2,they just choose other technology on their card.
but always that shit about neosd and their flashtimes getting old,ill buy neosd aes around the 3rd june.
and they deserve to get my money for the aes version,as their mvs version get me a lot off pleasure on my mvs.
i just have to receive my shell,and i am a proud owner off their fabulous neosd.
keep up the good work neosd.

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
I am an owner of the AES version of NeoSD, the 20 sec load of DS cart is very very enticing to me as I swap games a lot and I do not value instant on of NeoSD as much as some other members (I rarely play the same game across gaming sessions anyway, maybe 1 in 10).
So told it needs to have a mode that ditches all the nonsense about preload of the 3 slots on boot, just go to menu (a single slot to remember the last thing loaded is enough, no need to preload unless I tell you to) and just allow me to "play last" (it's fine if you need to load it right now if it's not there) or swap in something else (a toggle in the menu can swap modes wrt preloading on boot or not).
Yes it's impressive when they switch game instantly because it's preloaded on the other slot, but again I don't usually rotate only around 3 games either so chances that what I want to play next is already preloaded are slim to none and at 20sec reload I'd say keep it simple, at its basics a single slot it's all that is needed. They definitely need to ditch all that waiting time/animations/transitions in the menu, less is more, I like the minimalistic approach of Krikzz flashcarts: simple menu, no fancy graphics, all business, I do not spend much time on the menu as I would rather be playing the games. It seems other members really appreciate fancy graphics in the menu, to each his own as long as it doesn't slow things down (it does in DS cart but Mitsu keeps saying they'll take that out ... who thought it was a good idea to begin with anyway?)

So told there are usages for all that virtual slotting etc..etc.. just not for me, so again maybe a persistent mode toggle would do to appease both camps.

Awaiting to see the final cost and what ROM it uses (when they say only MS-X has issues it's unclear if it's with unmodified roms or not, that I value, I'd rather play unmodified roms (don't really care about the encrypted/decrypted part unless it modifies the way the game plays).
If it ships in the next say 2 months we can say we live in interesting times to have 2 solutions in such a short timespan.

Last edited:

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
#1. NEO SD
#2. 138 in 1
#3. 120 in 1
#4. 161 in 1

2-4 are cheap & no loading times...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Have they even discussed how compatible the games are now? Are they saying they are truly patch free games that pass crc checks? I find it odd they spend so much time showing load times in that vid and didn't take time to actually show the games working properly.

What's with all the stopping the darksoft load time screen countdown? One game they stopped at 20 seconds but it didn't even start till the one minute mark.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Have they even discussed how compatible the games are now? Are they saying they are truly patch free games that pass crc checks? I find it odd they spend so much time showing load times in that vid and didn't take time to actually show the games working properly.

What's with all the stopping the darksoft load time screen countdown? One game they stopped at 20 seconds but it didn't even start till the one minute mark.

They wrote that the only game that requires patching is Metal Slug X, and that the firmware will be modified to start a game as soon as writing it finishes, the way it should be done.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I love DarkStank and Mitshit... they seem to think they matter at the current time...

1. They did NOT play ball on the biggest forum for their product... their arrogance and childlike behaviour speaks volumes about why everyone is shitting on them..
2. They have proved that by their most recent video there are MORE questions than answers...
3. The deletion of relative normal questions or critiscism is in some way akin to how I handle things here... except I'm trying to maintain a forum... and they're trying to sell a $400-$450usd product...
4. ALL the darksoft cocksuckers on this forum have and always will be on notice... I don't tolerate children who feel a fly by night product is enough for you to think you are God on this forum...
5. They are already approximately 18 months behind the Neosd Project in terms of firmware and hardware development...
6. They will get NO help on this forum... and if anyone buys this product... i expect you to ask tech advice somewhere else... cuz you aint gonna be getting it here... YUP... I am PERSONALLY gonna make sure that this happens...

xROTx

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
A lot of fucking whining. The products speak for themselves. I think we can all choose what suits us best individually.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
A lot of fucking whining. The products speak for themselves. I think we can all choose what suits us best individually.

Are you implying I am whining?

You have 30 minutes to reply...

No threats... just the way it is... THINK QUICK!

Shakepants

Crossed Swords Squire
Hmm...nah.. its just all over isn't it, people who now got the NeoSD, folks at camp DS. Defending their fort...blablabla..

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hmm...nah.. its just all over isn't it, people who now got the NeoSD, folks at camp DS. Defending their fort...blablabla..

I don't like that answer... your initial post was about people whining... I would like that addressed...

You have to understand.... I aint Darksoft... or Mitsu... I will GIVE you a chance to reply...

I will also add... that if i don't like the reply... or lack of reply by the time I go to bed... you get a nice surprise...

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
I am just wondering if this video would slow down sales of the NeoSD. I hope it does NOT unless they plan to release this week or something, because as of now there are no dates (are there?), for what I know it can be a year out, but if they published it just with the intent to stop the tide that would be a little mean (the pool of interested parties is not huge, so if one arrives late it's late, it's not that a lot of people would care to own both just because).

Either way until there's a date, a price and a version for AES (or someone showing it works perfectly with a MagicKey) I am in no hurry to do anything or to advocate to anyone in any way as one exists and can be bought the other not yet. Once there's a date a price and an AES version (or MagicKey documented full compat) I can decide if I personally still care at all (depending also on users review/feedback etc....).

To be fair given that this toys are on the expensive side it muddies the waters, if they were in a much lower price range (I know it's not possible yet) say 100-140US$ I don't think it would unfold the same way as at that point "bad choice/good choice" it's relatively easy to rectify from whatever camp you are in to whatever camp you wanna go. At 450+ (for the NeoSD AES) it kind of stung a little, but I've been told this is nothing for a NeoGeo owenr so what do I know "I am just blabbing about for no more reason than I have 10 minutes to spare".

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ok. So no then. Cool?

NOPE... no cool...

Welcome to the War room... I am in chat... You may plead your case there... seeing as I didn't get an answer here...

I AM NOT one to ask a question lightly... i want it answered....

You will need a PC/Laptop setup with Flash... otherwise.... reply in the War room...

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
the problem is they are only shitting on other team's product and they keep vaguely.
what can we see in the video,only a lot of load times,oh yeah,thats what we need if we buy a product.
that was different on neosd video about their card.
i dont like they try to keep customers away from neosd by such actions,thats not what competition is about.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I noticed this also, it took a good amount of resetting and other crap to actually get to the game. Overall though the video was completely void of proper information and when doing a comparison that's important. Piss poor effort.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Screen%20Shot%202017-05-02%20at%2023.08.43_zps6xth0yz1.png

Consider this...

The struggle is real...

xROTx

Status
Not open for further replies.