Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nothing wrong with a proper business transaction.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
This is what LiquidSnake has been doing after his wife left.

Lol!

Well outside looking in, i see very little difference between the darksoft and 161in1 cart. Not really impressed. At least Raz's neogeoland had a sweet interface. We'll see though maybe it will fix some of those problems but for 4x the cost I dont think so.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
At least Raz's POC OF neogeoland had a sweet interface. .

FTFY

In reality, we have two opposing sides that have proposed ideas, but have not produced anything beyond proto hardware and POC menus. It's too early for anyone to line cash up for either if they come to fruition, and this is an opinion I came to after taking a step back and looking at what's been presented on either side.

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Lol!

Well outside looking in, i see very little difference between the darksoft and 161in1 cart. Not really impressed. At least Raz's neogeoland had a sweet interface. We'll see though maybe it will fix some of those problems but for 4x the cost I dont think so.

The 161-in-1 is now about $50-$60 from aliexpress and similar places, so it's more like 8x the price really.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Z'OMG... I am getting one...

xROTx

PS. Necro Bump...

EDIT: Loads so so fast... :keke:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Looks like that GUI still needs alot of serious work, it has potential but currently looks really slow to navigate and quite glitchy. Can see that even through the poor quality video. Hard to understand whats actually happening in the video though based on what ds has said in the past. It looked around 12 seconds to flash the game but going on times ds gave before it should have been much much faster.

Is this the boot time every boot for such a small game? The NeoSD takes 27sec for me but thats one time only, 12 secs every power on would soon get annoying.

I guess have to wait for more videos and better quality also.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hey, something that does something...

Dandan

n00b
Feel like I'm poking a hornets nest here.....
Did I miss some sort of drama in regards to this other multi/flash cart thingamajig?
Same guy who did the CPS3/CPS2 multiboard right?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Feel like I'm poking a hornets nest here.....
Did I miss some sort of drama in regards to this other multi/flash cart thingamajig?
Same guy who did the CPS3/CPS2 multiboard right?

Nope it ended Amicabley... Everyone was friends by the end of the whole affair...

Darksoft has me on his Xmas card list and has asked me to visit him and his family for his Birthday...

xROTx

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The menu looks nice to me! I agree that a 12 sec delay on each boot would get annoying but there's pros and cons with both this and the Neo SD. Pretty sure they can co-exist. I might get one depending on cost. All that said - I absolutely love the Neo SD, so not sure anything will change regards my current favourite. I love the features of the Neo SD combined with 100% accuracy of all the protection / decryption stuff, and since I tend to keep one game flashed for long periods of time its better for me being able to instantly boot.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Nope it ended Amicabley... Everyone was friends by the end of the whole affair...

Darksoft has me on his Xmas card list and has asked me to visit him and his family for his Birthday...

xROTx

:keke:

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
i dont like the menu...initial start of "zed blade" might take a little time?!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The menu looks nice to me! I agree that a 12 sec delay on each boot would get annoying but there's pros and cons with both this and the Neo SD. Pretty sure they can co-exist. I might get one depending on cost. All that said - I absolutely love the Neo SD, so not sure anything will change regards my current favourite. I love the features of the Neo SD combined with 100% accuracy of all the protection / decryption stuff, and since I tend to keep one game flashed for long periods of time its better for me being able to instantly boot.

Graphically I agree it looks nice, the problem I see in it (the current video) is the glitches and its current usability clunkyness. You have to picture yourself using it and the interaction time. The scrolling between games in the list is not very fast and the popup draw times are quite slow. It's all to linear. Left to Right scrolling for such a big game library is not really the way to go so maybe that will change.

That 12 sec boot time is going to be an issue when you consider flipshot is one of the very small games. Who knows what the larger games will be at... Then if you boot to 4 games on top of that it could be 4x more. I guess we know more in the next videos.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Graphically I agree it looks nice, the problem I see in it (the current video) is the glitches and its current usability clunkyness. You have to picture yourself using it and the interaction time. The scrolling between games in the list is not very fast and the popup draw times are quite slow. It's all to linear. Left to Right scrolling for such a big game library is not really the way to go so maybe that will change.

That 12 sec boot time is going to be an issue when you consider flipshot is one of the very small games. Who knows what the larger games will be at... Then if you boot to 4 games on top of that it could be 4x more. I guess we know more in the next videos.

Yes, I totally agree with you! I hadn't thought about the scrolling thing - that will be a pain in the arse when trying to find a game pages in etc. The delay is an interesting one too - Those people saying the Neo SD is slow with larger games, I suspect this cart might not be much faster by the looks of things! I guess it probably comes down to the uSD bottleneck again. Still it will be interesting to see how it fairs once the bugs are ironed out.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
DS would have been better served, despite the cries of the plebs, by not posting that video at all. It is not selling anybody on anything.

Apparently a better demo is to come in the short-term, which would be good as I am still optimistic about this project.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
DS would have been better served, despite the cries of the plebs, by not posting that video at all. It is not selling anybody on anything.

Apparently a better demo is to come in the short-term, which would be good as I am still optimistic about this project.

Why? I'm far from being a DS fanboy but I've been in development for a long time. He's probably excited that the flashing is working and it's capable of doing it from the UI. In short maybe it's a milestone for him.
I love all the info and progress updates we get from NeoSD. Ideally I'd like to see updates and info from DS as well. I love my Neo and more info on anything neo related is great in my eyes.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
does someone still have that terry with the aes game jammed in his ass pic somewhere? feels appropriate.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
does someone still have that terry with the aes game jammed in his ass pic somewhere? feels appropriate.

Ask and you shall receive.

Fl5ix77.png

neosd

Neosd Developer

Z'OMG... I am getting one...

xROTx

PS. Necro Bump...

EDIT: Loads so so fast... :keke:

Hello,

I would like to give my personal opinion about the video. As you know, this is not a neutral opinion cause i have my own personal interests, but its my personal opinion, not Terraonion´s opinion at all.

I think the most interesting things on the video are what you cant see :

a) the neogeo itself or the flashcart itself.
Why not show it, even if it has wires or good knows what hanging ?
I can only think about two reasons :
a1) Its not running on a neogeo at all
a2) loading is done by an LCD again.

b) there is no sound :
Thats pretty curious no one said anything about that. It may sound minor, but not having sound at all means they canï½´t make it work as today.

Now my opinion about the whole project :

We knew it was not possible to flash a game such kof2003 under 10 secconds using SRAM, its not even possible on paper.

You can only know how fast flashing is going to be once you have it running, real life always tend to be worst than paper, based on our past experiences.

Since day one, we knew this multislot idea was a nosense idea. On the best scenario you need 1 minute to flash a big game into SRAM, if you want to flash 4 games, you need 4 minutes. You power off the board and you have 4 minutes of flashing again, so where is the advantage on having multiple games on SRAM ? SRAM is nice if you just flash one game and its small enough. NeoGeo catalog is full of big games, this is not SNES where the biggest game is 8mb, kof2003 is 96mbs

Also, it seems that Darksoft pretends to sell something totally incomplete saying : NEOSD guys shipped something incomplete and they fixed it with a firmware update.
Yes, we shipped the first batch of NEOSD with ALL games running, we just had to adjust timmings to make it work on 4slots boards, but adjusting timmings to make it work into one board while ALL games are complete working fine on the rest of the boards is much different than make something that dosent works, to work.

Based on our personal experience, you need hardware changes until the last game is running.
At this stage (remember, it was going to be done in 3 weeks since August 2016), to show a dark video with the smallest game running and no sound, tells me i was right with my initial conclusion. They (darksoft and his workers) have no clue about what they are doing, and you can notice that if you check his forum about the actual CPS2 bugs that still remain unfixed since years.

I Think darksofts MAIN issue is the same as allways :

He can´t code, others do the job, so he just sells dreams while running forward. As long as you have patience to move your customers forward until the infinite, thats ok if you can live with it.
This french guy on the video does his part the best he can. The polish guy that designed the PCB did the same and both them tell darksoft it will be working soon, to not hear him again, get payed and move forward.

As darksoft knows nothing about coding, he thinks what his workers say may end being true, atleast he wishes that.
Fact again is that you donï½´t know if it works until you have it working.

To my eyes they havent designed the product with a single vision from the beginning, the PCB guy did what he thought it would work and the coder is doing what he can with the current hardware design. None of them took the time to analize the nosense of the 4games loading using SRAM, since day one. So now he has a lot of promises he will not be able to accomplish, atleast not with the current hardware design, for sure.

I am pretty sceptic about anything good will come from this, i am just taking as reference his past products (that to my eyes are a dissaster of bugs, wires, reworks, rasperbis and lcds) an that after 5 months, since Agust 2016, he still cant even have the smallest NeoGeo game running with sound.

Just for reference, we had every game running except the protected ones 5 months after we started working on NEOSD, It was about 200 games or so.
There is no reason to just have a regular game running and not the rest, atleast not from a neogeo game protection side. They only reason he may only have been able to run the smallest game if the video is not fake, is a hardware design problem.

From a sales point of view, I think Its a pretty bad idea to sell an incomplete thing telling your customers that you will make it work with a firmware update. There are things you cant just fix with a firmware update cause those end needing hardware changes. Pretty bad idea to have your customers waiting to make something you have sold to them, to work.
I also think its a pretty bad idea to promise future features when you can稚 even get the smallest game running with sound, I wonder if this is playable at all

Finally, just want to say good luck to him and his customers. Time will tell if I am wrong or not.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK... the basic gist of the post is...

Darksoft is trying to promote a White Elephant? aka... a project that can't be true...

OK OK... I know what you lads think of me vs Darksoft... and I am not the best advocate for a sound opinion...

But here's the thing with Darksofts videos:

1. No hardware is ever shown...
2. The game loading is never shown...
3. The Gameplay is never shown...
4. Why use a crappy webcam setup for a product that you are asking $450usd for...

LOOK... I know you Darksoft fucks want my head on a silver platter... and I maybe forced to eat my words and back down here...

BUT.. from what I have seen over 18 months... I am pretty sure I'm gonna be here watching the forum tear Darksoft a 3rd hole...

xROTx

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi, stupid question but...not all the (MVS) games are encrypted correct?

If so, how many wouldn't require the FPGA magic?

If DS could focus to the low hanging fruit, and make a cart with early (natively not-encrypted, mame clean roms) titles, but with an almost instantaneous load time (probably not the path they choose, but for the sake of requirements).

I mean, if his card could offer all pre-96 titles with no loading...it still would be interesting I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.