Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
@donluca ... if it was easy you'd do it yourself? Or someone else would have done it already. I really don't get the irritation - how entitled are you? As long as he's not relying on pre-payments to fund it before he's got a working prototype, if darksoft mucks it up, it's basically on him - he's the one putting in all the time and effort.

As long as it's not terribly convoluted I don't see a problem patching this kind of thing just so long as it doesn't include anything too intrusive/misleading in terms of a notice/credits. Especially if it this all helps keep price of the final device reasonable, continued production/availability possible, and the end result customisable/writable - this being the basic selling point above and beyond existing multicarts.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
? ... if it was easy you'd do it yourself. Or someone else would have done it already. I really don't get the irritation - how entitled are you?

I'm unsure if you've just come back from your extended leave to post stuffs without reading through everything that has happened over the last 9 months or so... but I even logged in to reply... which means I'm irritated...

Raz has other project commitments... and he already stated that..

As long as he's not relying on pre-payments to fund it before he's got a working prototype, if darksoft mucks it up, it's basically on him - he's the one putting in all the time and effort.

As long as it's not terribly convoluted I don't see a problem patching this kind of thing just so long as it doesn't include anything too intrusive/misleading in terms of a notice/credits. Especially if it this all helps keep price of the final device reasonable, continued production/availability possible, and the end result customisable/writable - this being the basic selling point above and beyond existing multicarts.

I don't like you... and this post could be misconstrued as you being a Darksoft cocksucker crew member...

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Its not quite that simple because both carts work in different ways by design. You can't take a game from one and put it in the other and expect it will work just like that for the games your talking. Really a new multicart is needed with a new spec which is different from both the 138in1 and the 161in1. Like you say though it's not hard to achieve on paper at least

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I wish I had more free time to delve deeper in those things to understand them better and give a real contribution to the community.

@donluca ... if it was easy you'd do it yourself? Or someone else would have done it already. I really don't get the irritation - how entitled are you?

I don't have the tools to dump (nor knowledge, for that matter) those chips, but the process should be quite straightforward.
[...]
Again, I have mostly no knowledge about how NeoGeo accesses data on a cartridge, so I might have said a bunch of nonsensical things, but, hey, we gotta start somewhere, don't we?

I'm sorry if that came out overly aggressive and arrogant, it was just a bit of frustration which slipped in, but I'm pretty sure you missed some key parts of my post.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
@gray117...

I am irritated because I have countless times offered the numbnuts Darksoft, MitsuJackass and others the opportunity to play ball with the site...

...they've chosen not to comply... hence, i have a ZERO tolerance level to this thread... infact, I have an even less tolerance level to the cocksucker supporters...

2005 eh... join date.. UK member... I'd suggest reading up why they have rubbed me up the wrong way before you post again...

EXTRA EDIT: ... seriously... read all the threads concerning Darksoft and his other projects... because if I don't happen to like your next post... I'm gonna be even more irritated...

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Grey117, some of the things darksoft has been saying have been quite misleading which is the point of this thread now really in order to give a more true reflection in the reality of what he is saying. He is of course fully entitled to do things and design things in anyway he sees fit. The end product after all will reflect of his ability as a designer of such devices, and like you suggest, he can blame no one but himself should things go wrong.

For me at least there are still many unknowns about what he has planned and to be honest it seems to me he is either unsure about a few things himself still or is intentionally got giving out information for either fear of backlash of those choices or because he does not want to give ideas to other people. I'm talking specifically here about how the game changing mechanism will work, or put another way, by what method will a user be able to choose and change game on the device from one to another. This single thing is probably the most important when it comes to usability.

Last edited:

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Far from darksoft-cocksucker-crew ... Ah yeah, absolutely, agree silence is likely a combination of those things i) not sure himself ii) keeping workings to himself and iii) not wanting to show/suggest weakness with any issues encountered... I've never disagreed with anything raz has to say - just didn't understand how don luca could state it must be easy and getting irritated at waiting - this kind of device has been an of interest to me before my 2005 join and you've got a 2015 member saying he's got no idea, but saying it must be easy, and still tired of waiting - like everyone from phantom onwards must be an idiot not to have sorted it - and I'm the dick? :P

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Far from darksoft-cocksucker-crew ... Ah yeah, absolutely, agree silence is likely a combination of those things i) not sure himself ii) keeping workings to himself and iii) not wanting to show/suggest weakness with any issues encountered... I've never disagreed with anything raz has to say - just didn't understand how don luca could state it must be easy and getting irritated at waiting - this kind of device has been an of interest to me before my 2005 join and you've got a 2015 member saying he's got no idea, but saying it must be easy, and still tired of waiting - like everyone from phantom onwards must be an idiot not to have sorted it - and I'm the dick? :P

Welcome to 2 weeks in the war room...

I TOLD you... I'd get irritated...

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
If you wanted to modify an existing multicart to put different games on there, you'd be best off trying to modify the 138 in 1 since most of the games pass CRC checks and the menu is handled by the sub-PCB.

The pain in the ass would be desoldering all of the ROMs and finding a (likely expensive) reader/writer that will support those large chips.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes personally if I wanted to start modding the multicarts out there the best thing really would be to simply remove the storage devices on them for use on another PCB and scrap the rest. The 138in1 is a better product overall I agree, in the end though both have their drawbacks.

darksoft has mentioned about a simple window and a customisable background pictrure which I assume is in relation to game swapping. Because there is so little information about what he is actually doing I have no idea if this is in relation to swapping between 4 games held in the carts RAM or as part of the process of choosing a game from the SD card (or both). I don't think there is any word on if he still plans for the device to hold 4 games.

By 'window' I'm unsure if he is talking about the menu that is actually running on the NeoGeo 68k, a daughter PCB approach connected to the JAMMA edge or an LCD screen attached to the cart will be involved in the choosing of games. Window is a strange word to use to describe an OSD so I'm thinking it implies an LCD screen currently build into the cart. No word on the trigger method or when it can be triggered. Does it use a physical button on the cart or one of the standard NeoGeo inputs (joystick, 4 buttons, start and select).

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm not sure who let out your account Mitsu... but no one stays off my radar forever...

Mmhhh... I'll live with it for now.

xROTx

PS. I asked permission from the relevant people when releasing contentious members... like EG and Xorthen... I don't like being side-stepped...

EDIT: I am not pleased....

EXTRA EDIT: I'm gonna sleep on this... but you side-stepped me Mitsu... I am pretty unhappy atm with that... at this moment I'm tempted to delete your entire existence...

As I said... I'll sleep on it...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm not sure who let out your account Mitsu... but no one stays off my radar forever...

Mmhhh... I'll live with it for now.

xROTx

PS. I asked permission from the relevant people when releasing contentious members... like EG and Xorthen... I don't like being side-stepped...

EDIT: I am not pleased....

EXTRA EDIT: I'm gonna sleep on this... but you side-stepped me Mitsu... I am pretty unhappy atm with that... at this moment I'm tempted to delete your entire existence...

As I said... I'll sleep on it...

Is this payback for you reverting the war room back to normal?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Is this payback for you reverting the war room back to normal?

Nope... his account has been like this for a while...

I jumped through fucking hoops to get back certain members... with the promises of good behaviour and saying i'd deal with anything that they would do... including bans...

I'd just like the same consideration...

What is this? A forum decision made on good grounds... and all you have to do is contact your friend in the mod team and they side-step you?

xROTx

PS. This doesn't include the recent relaxation of the VT market purge members... as those decisions are based on the promises of good behaviour on their part...

This is a blatant fuck off to any forum dicisions anyone makes as you can contact someone and have it lifted...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
What did Mitsu post? Looks like whatever it was has been deleted.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
What did Mitsu post? Looks like whatever it was has been deleted.

No... he's been playing it cool... doing his business via PM...

I SAID at the time:

1. Mitsu plays ball and answers questions and concerns on THIS thread and i'd look after the thread and release his friends...
2. That he could conduct his business here within reason...
3. That as long as he looked after the NG communitys concerns I'd let them be...

OTHERWISE.... I'd take away all privileges including Pm's and the market place...

Mitsu side-stepped me and his account unlocked... and has been using the PM system to do what the fuck hes doing...

As I said... I am on here perma.... and not many people stay under my radar forever...

xROTx

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hi...lurked for a long time but I'm back...however I can't seem to be able to send PMs nor make any WTB OMGZ RAREZ!!! thread so I'm hoping someone here can help me get me a Neo Everdrive price shipped to spain...thanks....viva la neo!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Some new information from darksoft. He plans to still to support 4 games at once on the cart, the game changing UI (to swap between the 4 games) will involve a physical button on the cart itself rather than using any of the standard NeoGeo joystick inputs or buttons. This method probably confirms a system reset will happen between the swapping of the 4 games. We already knew it was not going to be like a real 4SLOT and this confirmation from darksoft actually puts it even further away.

Now we just have to wait on the UI method he will use to allow selection of which 4 games will be loaded into those 4 virtual spaces. Once we know this a very clear picture will be known.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Rot: what you're posting about seems like an issue you mods need to discuss between yourselves, nothing the rest of the board needs to know about... united front etc... or straight PM Mitsu.
Just saying.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK... so I've slept on it...

The facts are that Mitsu has bypassed the traditional way of doing things by crying to someone...

I was tempted to take immediate action BUT... this is what I'm going to do Mitsu...

I'm gonna leave you alone and you will contact me via PM or come into chat and discuss why you felt that I was being unfair when I offered you those choices in this thread and WHY you decided that I would be pleased if you bypassed my decision...

xROTx

PS. You have upto when Raz releases the CS 2 rom on 1st May to contact me...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot: what you're posting about seems like an issue you mods need to discuss between yourselves, nothing the rest of the board needs to know about... united front etc... or straight PM Mitsu.
Just saying.

Nope... it's not the way I work... I want to make a point... that the mod team is a TEAM... and If any of you fooks does this sorta thing...

...It will lead to an open sore in the mod team and dealt with...

xROTx

PS. I'm not taking out the hammer to crack this walnut...

...BUT... I will take out one large fucking claw hammer if Mitsu doesn't contact me before the CS 2 rom is released... fair warning...

Fygee

20 Year Member
Some new information from darksoft. He plans to still to support 4 games at once on the cart, the game changing UI (to swap between the 4 games) will involve a physical button on the cart itself rather than using any of the standard NeoGeo joystick inputs or buttons. This method probably confirms a system reset will happen between the swapping of the 4 games. We already knew it was not going to be like a real 4SLOT and this confirmation from darksoft actually puts it even further away.

Now we just have to wait on the UI method he will use to allow selection of which 4 games will be loaded into those 4 virtual spaces. Once we know this a very clear picture will be known.

I like that he's going to support 4 games at once on the cart, but I'm not keen on having a physical button to change between the games. For MVS players that means having to keep the panel unlatched so you can hop in and change the game, and for AES and CVMS users that means having to get up off of your butt to change them.

Seems a bit lazy I suppose, but two of the major factors for a device like this are convenience and accessibility.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I like that he's going to support 4 games at once on the cart, but I'm not keen on having a physical button to change between the games. For MVS players that means having to keep the panel unlatched so you can hop in and change the game, and for AES and CVMS users that means having to get up off of your butt to change them.

Seems a bit lazy I suppose, but two of the major factors for a device like this are convenience and accessibility.

Unless you wire the game select button to it on the MVS cab.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Unless you wire the game select button to it on the MVS cab.

It's not an ideal solution since I would have to undo that when I want to play real carts.

By the way, I absolutely loved that episode of South Park.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It's not an ideal solution since I would have to undo that when I want to play real carts.

Maybe two pins and include a cable to connect to it, so that you can put a switch and choose the desired cable length...anyway, a switch in the cart does not sound well for me. I would prefer less price and a single game flashed, but whatever.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Maybe two pins and include a cable to connect to it, so that you can put a switch and choose the desired cable length...anyway, a switch in the cart does not sound well for me. I would prefer less price and a single game flashed, but whatever.

Yup, that solution is workable for the 4 game swapping, its just a case of weather the 2 pins will be available on the outside of the cart shell and then if people want to hack a button into their cabs. There is still the question on how one chooses which 4 games load from all on the games on the SD card, more hacking may be required for cab owners. Its unfortunate the 4 game swap method he has chosen is going to leave the system open to possible backupRAM corruption.

I'm unsure why he never went the other way, you were in the clear majority wanting the single game flash option even knowing about the loading times. I'm kind of guessing that people who buy it will not use the 4 GAME option and will always configure it to load into 1 of the 4 spaces only. I see his point on the loading times being the driver for that although I am not sure he has thought it through fully given the other issues which come with that.

If all the ideas (wish list) put forward on how such a device should work show anything, its that people want something they can fully configure to suit their needs, what is right for one is maybe not right for another. The only real answer is to give something that has multiple configuration options and fully takes into account the NeoGeo hardware spec (softdip / backupRAM saving) to make it as easy as possible for the user when swapping between many games.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
They'll probably have a remote board feature for cab owners. You mount it inside the control panel. It's the same.thing they did for the STV.

Status
Not open for further replies.