Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 752

Thread: Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

  1. #251
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,420
    so... who do we need to convince? NTM, Kurtz?

  2. #252
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    I am already busy with projects so there is that to consider also. Those two guys are top notch though.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  3. #253
    Member
    Fygee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Las Vegas

    Posts
    2,394
    I shall remain ever hopeful. If you and any other solid Neo community members were to make this a reality, it would be one of the best hardware developments for the Neo since the UniBIOS.

  4. #254
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    darksoft has given another update.

    He states the device will now be a mixture of both flash and ddr ram (sound on flash, graphics and program on ram). About 10 second loading times each power on. He is not clear on if the sound is flashed every power on and if it is required (because of game change) if this will increase the power on loading time. The firmware on the device will be upgradeable.

    The downside. He states again it will support all games supported by MAME, this is very vague and I wish he would avoid using such language as it is inaccurate by his own earlier admissions unless something has changed. He has said himself previously that it will be down to other people to patch games to work on his Neo Geo device. This means all games are not supported until such times as someone else releases a patch to make a game work which may never happen. Given this has not even happened for his CPS-2 device, I don't see how he can be sure some people will patch all the NeoGeo MAME games and revisions to his Neo Geo device.

    Apart from this one issue I'm sure some will be happy with the way its going and others not so. Personally I'm interested to know weather the RAM parts of his device can be written to and alterd from the NeoGeo side. It may be a nice feature if it can be.
    Last edited by Razoola; 03-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  5. #255

    Nostromo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The World

    Posts
    1,094
    He just confirmed that games need patching to work. My guess, all of them.

  6. #256
    Chang's Combo Meal #4
    greedostick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Londo Ruins

    Posts
    3,656
    I'm definitely not liking the way this us sounding. I got all excited for a real Neo sd cart, and my dreams are being shattered. I just want to not gave to spend hundreds on every mvs game I want now.

    Beaten in 2017: Not a Damn thing! But the Year is Still Young.

    Close to Completion:
    Bravely Default - Skyrim (pc) - Dragon Quest IX -

    Games I can't beat that make me violent:
    Solomon's Key (nes) (fuck Solomon and his damn key) - Festers Quest - R-Type - Ghost Pilots


    [B]

  7. #257
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
    He just confirmed that games need patching to work. My guess, all of them.
    It won't be quite that bad (unless something is inherently wrong in his design) but certainly all game from kof98 on will need patching and other things changed to make work. There is still the protection issue related to the NEO-CMC which he has not yet commented on really, the one that cannot simply be worked around by patching the game ROM.
    Last edited by Razoola; 03-16-2016 at 01:06 PM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  8. #258

    Nostromo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The World

    Posts
    1,094
    I wouldn't sell of my MVS collection just yet...

  9. #259
    Cheng's Errand Boy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Barcelona

    Posts
    119
    and wich is the problem to patch every game?

  10. #260
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    There is no problem to patch every game if that's how you want to do it, no problem there what so ever. It is misleading however to say every Neo Geo game in MAME is supported by the device before any of the games have actually been patched and confirmed working, I'm sure you can see this point.

    Raz
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  11. #261

    Nostromo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The World

    Posts
    1,094
    As in there is a risk that no one bothers to patch the roms and you'd end up with a not very useful, expensive device?

  12. #262
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,420
    that and it's not really the original rom on real hardware... it's hacked roms, which might need testing and maybe won't play 100% like the real deal. That doesn't have to be a deal breaker though.

  13. #263

    Nostromo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    The World

    Posts
    1,094
    Is it even possible to have a similar device which deals with untouched roms, just like everdrive?

  14. #264
    Cheng's Errand Boy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Barcelona

    Posts
    119
    if what is showed on screen is identical to an original game I don't see the problem to apply a patch.

  15. #265
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
    Is it even possible to have a similar device which deals with untouched roms, just like everdrive?
    Yes that is possible but its complex to do and on this point I do agree with darksoft, it's easier to patch roms. Then there is the legal situation because your going to have to circumvent copy protections used after 2001 to protect games. darksoft is going to need to circumvent one of these protections anyway on his device even building it the way he currently plans if he wants all game support for released SNK versions of games. He can't really say the legal situation has meant he has had to build it the way he is. I don't think darksoft has used the legal situation as a reason for doing things like he is though has he.
    Last edited by Razoola; 03-17-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  16. #266
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    Quote Originally Posted by PSICODROMO View Post
    if what is showed on screen is identical to an original game I don't see the problem to apply a patch.
    Neither do I. The issue raised earlier related to patching is something you have not yet grasped.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  17. #267
    Cheng's Errand Boy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Barcelona

    Posts
    119
    I see this point, but I don't consider this how a serious issue, peharps this can cause some confusion. Once patched roms you can have the full set of Neo Geo fully playable on real hardware, exactly the same as original games on the screen.

  18. #268
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    Yes, it does cause confusion and we don't want that. Keeping information clear will make it easier for everyone what his device is actually doing and not doing.

    You assume that all games can be patched, I can tell you it is na´ve to assume all games can be patched to work without special features included on the device, especially when one is not so knowledgeable with the games and the protections systems they use. I do understand why you would think it would be that easy however because you have been led to believe this.

    I can tell you however it is not a case of simple addresses patching here and there, physical data will need moving around in the ROM for example on some games. I know this because I was the person who worked around these protections in the first instance to allow these games to be emulated.
    Last edited by Razoola; 03-17-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  19. #269
    Armored Scrum Object
    Llama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wisconsin

    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    Keeping information clear will make it easier for everyone what his device is actually doing and not doing.
    In the end, this is the most important part of this in order to make an informed decision on whether or not to buy this thing.

  20. #270
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    darksoft now reports its two regions and not one which will be flash, both Z80 and FIX.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  21. #271
    Меня зовут радуга вспомогательный bloodhokuto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Playing Tiddlywinks with myself

    Posts
    1,806
    OK I don't know much at all about this kind of thing, but anyway here goes.

    Those 161 in 1s etc that you currently can get, contain a mish-mash of games, and some games are a little buggy.

    That said, they really aren't that bad I don't think.

    if one of these multi-carts was hacked to contain only the original games (i.e not several versions of KOFs etc), and used some better components, wouldn't this be just as good as what is proposed?

  22. #272
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    They really aren't bad at all for the price given there is no guarantee darksofts device will be any better as its going to rely on hacks also just like the multicarts anyway.

    A mulicart with all the games on working is the best solution over an everdrive or flashcart if your after the full neogeo games library and don't want to buy every game separately. There is no reason why such a device can not be upgradeable to include new games either if it were needed.
    Last edited by Razoola; 03-23-2016 at 03:45 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  23. #273
    Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.
    xsq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Muenster, Germany

    Posts
    7,420
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodhokuto View Post
    if one of these multi-carts was hacked to contain only the original games and used some better components
    someone needs to go Shia LaBeouf with that already. I can't stand hearing about it all the time and nothing happening.


  24. #274
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    donluca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Rome

    Posts
    236
    Same here.

    And the part that irritates me most is that it shouldn't be a difficult feat since you just have to dump the memory chips, look for and isolate the hacked ROMS and replace them with ROMS of the same size or smaller (padding the smaller ones should absolutely work fine).

    I don't have the tools to dump (nor knowledge, for that matter) those chips, but the process should be quite straightforward.

    I'd do this with a 138-in-1 since it has "good" roms (the 161-in-1 has modified roms to work with the 1P+2P trick to get back to the main menu): dump the chips, use any tool to look for the data of known good ROMS and isolate them, so you know at which address they start and at which they end. This way you've isolated the hacked ROMS too. At this point, just replace the hacked roms with good ones by swapping them with one of the same size or smaller and pad the smaller ones so that they end at the same address as the previous one.

    Again, I have mostly no knowledge about how NeoGeo accesses data on a cartridge, so I might have said a bunch of nonsensical things, but, hey, we gotta start somewhere, don't we?

  25. #275
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,183
    Its not quite that simple because both carts work in different ways by design. You can't take a game from one and put it in the other and expect it will work just like that for the games your talking. Really a new multicart is needed with a new spec which is different from both the 138in1 and the 161in1. Like you say though it's not hard to achieve on paper at least
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •