Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
if you want the original, buy the original. No need for any Multicarts or whatever. Everybody wants to have the best original feeling with the games running on their systems, noobs, morons, cocksuckers, whatever. If it works, it works. If it feels and plays like the original, than it´s perfect. No need for technical masturbation.

I think some will have the same opinion as you, provided that the price of the cart is significantly lower than the neosd (probably ~50% less). But if the only advantage of darksoft will be faster load times, then I think the vast majority will choose authenticity, without the introduction of glitches.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I think some will have the same opinion as you, provided that the price of the cart is significantly lower than the neosd (probably ~50% less). But if the only advantage of darksoft will be faster load times, then I think the vast majority will choose authenticity, without the introduction of glitches.

IIRC the price is close to the Neo SD's. I remember Rot saying $400??? Could be he said the Neo SD was $400, I'm not sure never actually looked up the price for either yet.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Agreed. Calling any flash kit an everdrive is pretty dumb, not all things, even at superficial appearances are equal. Hacked roms have a place, but they need to be put in their place too and that 161in1 is a great example. I've been slowly picking off my favorites on that one since I got it a year ago because of the problems with glitching audio and/or visuals. If that thing actually worked completely right it would be a whole other thing to consider.

I guess I can't use Band-aid or Q-tip anymore.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
IIRC the price is close to the Neo SD's. I remember Rot saying $400??? Could be he said the Neo SD was $400, I'm not sure never actually looked up the price for either yet.

It was stated at the beginning of this fubar that the price point of the DS multicart was $400-$450 usd...

The only way they can get the cost down is to Sac carts... lets say... 200 Super Sidekick 2 MVS carts that were sold recently...

Still working on that angle of enquiry...

xROTx

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Will they be able to produce enough carts anyway? the Neo SD team have pumped out quite a few and in a relatively short time frame. I thought the CPS2 multi's were in short supply?

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
So given that the NeoGeo library (originals only without counting hacks and variants) has around 150 games and 110 of them are 300Mbits or less (so less than half of KOF2003) I expect the flash timing on NeoSD to be far less stark of an issue unless you happen to only play those big games over and over and over to feel the pinch of 3 mins cycle (more or less).

I have not really timed yet the games in the 300MBits range but I hope they sit around 1m30s, has anyone actually spent time measuring those? (Magician Lord at less than 50Mbits is not really representative).

In the DS video the difference between Puzzle Bobble (around 32Mbits) and KOF2003 (at 716Mbits) is not too big (maybe twice) which makes me believe a 50Mbits game will not have immediate load (or less than 2 secs) anyway.

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy

They only test Magician Lord < 50 Mbits and KOF2003 at 712MBits, I wanted in between so I did some of my testing.
The 300MBits and whereabouts are a little longer that the hoped for 1:30, not by much but I clocked my AES 3-5 at

3:06 for KOF2003 (712)
1:42 for Pulstar (305)
1:49 for Shock Trooper (346)
1:52 for SamSho 4 (378)
2:45 for Strikers 1945 Plus (684) [this is interesting because KOF2003 is really only 30Mbits~3.75MB longer at ~500KBsec it should really only take 8 or 9 secs more but things are not linear I guess]

The erase time seems to depend heavily on the size of what needs to be flashed (wonder if they can parallelize it more not sure how many chips they actually use) , I also noticed that the first part of the flashing operation proceeds slower than the second half (maybe the second part sis the one with the gfx etc and they can speed it up better dunno)

This being the DS cart thread makes this post misplaced to say the least, I hope I don't piss off Rot ... I'm a forum n00b here and the neo-geo forum is tough, I think only the Jag forum over at AtariAge can compete but maybe not.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The best advice is to let the thread die.

As far as the Jag forum, madman is here too.

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
For a video and comments stating they were "ready so ship" 2 months ago followed by 2 months of not much seems a tad off.
Did I miss anything?
I didn't have time to play much with my NeoSD but I did find comfort in knowing it does exist and it's right there on the shelf with the AES ready to play whenever I want.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
welcome to Darksoft's land of magical wonders

promise everything, deliver nothing

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
For a video and comments stating they were "ready so ship" 2 months ago followed by 2 months of not much seems a tad off.
Did I miss anything?
I didn't have time to play much with my NeoSD but I did find comfort in knowing it does exist and it's right there on the shelf with the AES ready to play whenever I want.

They dont have anything. Before the neo sd came out they thought they could cash grab on a half ass neo geo flash cart, like they did with the CPS2 multi. Now that the bar has been raised they don't have the skills to release a flash cart on par with neo sd. So they keep posting shady news reports to keep people interested by promising faster load times.

If if could have been done neo sd would have done it.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
They dont have anything. Before the neo sd came out they thought they could cash grab on a half ass neo geo flash cart, like they did with the CPS2 multi. .
I'm curious what you mean by half-ass CPS2 multi? I've had mine for a while now and it's been pretty awesome so far.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
The CPS2 multi had a lot of initial issues with bent pins, not fitting correctly into it's case etc. I remember there being some drama about it but DS sorted it and it worked fine

massimiliano

&#12493;&#12458;&#12472;&#12458;,
20 Year Member
I'm curious what you mean by half-ass CPS2 multi? I've had mine for a while now and it's been pretty awesome so far.

Also, as for other Neo multi, basically the ROMs are patched to bypass encryption, as it happened with the CPS3 multi (or Phoenix ROMs), this approach leaves room for errors, potentially generating glitches and unpredictable behavior under *certain* circumstances. The idea is patching again if the user-base finds a glitch but as you may understand, if people haven't found problems yet, doesn't mean they are not there.

Anyway, AFAIK, on CPS2, this is the only practical implementation, so until someone (NeoSD??) makes an FPGA solution implementing the decryption algorithm as it was meant to be, the only way to play a CPS2 game without the doubt of hitting a bug is on original boards not yet suicided.

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Phoenix roms are pretty much flawless, the cpsmulti uses other roms that are far more problematic.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'll have to look out for glitching, I haven't noticed anything screwy yet. So far it's been the tits and gets regular use in my cab. Like most people and the NeoSD, I got rid of all my original CPS2 boards after getting the multiCPS2. I just wanted something to reduce my clutter and be able to play on the hardware platform. The multiCPS2 fits a lot of my needs. I could care less about the religious war that's going around here. I'm a filthy consumer whore who wants good hardware. So from that standpoint I wouldn't know what half-assed was...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'll have to look out for glitching, I haven't noticed anything screwy yet. So far it's been the tits and gets regular use in my cab. Like most people and the NeoSD, I got rid of all my original CPS2 boards after getting the multiCPS2. I just wanted something to reduce my clutter and be able to play on the hardware platform. The multiCPS2 fits a lot of my needs. I could care less about the religious war that's going around here. I'm a filthy consumer whore who wants good hardware. So from that standpoint I wouldn't know what half-assed was...

When it was first released a few, resolved issues were noticed. You're not likely to have or notice any issues. Mitsu is there if anything comes up anyways.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Their CPS2 multi could have been so much better. It did not need to use style phoenix fixes at all and could have used a kabuki style workaround for encryption instead. It should have had an onscreen menu also. This was all brought up before it was released. There are still problems with games given some of the decrypted sets they are using.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Is that something restricted to the hardware? Or could they use the kabuki encryption eventually through a firmware update?

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I think at this point he'll just give up on the Neo cart, he missed the train.

I'm far from being a DS fan, but I gotta admit that he recently released a Taito F3 multi which is pretty much spot on.
The only thing which was off got quickly fixed after I wrote a post about it, so there's that.

He should definitely focus on some other platforms and leave the Neo alone.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Is that something restricted to the hardware? Or could they use the kabuki encryption eventually through a firmware update?

It cannot be done on their hardware, it was brought up before they released but they said it was to late to change the design. Its all been gone over in old threads so there is no real point going over it all again as its history now. In short though it would have allowed every single MAME dumped CPS2 game to work instead of limited to the decrypted sets only.

Raz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.