Voting is up for DarkSofts Neo Geo Multi Cart Design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Go here and register if you need to. There are 2 proposals, one that has no battery and flashes one game at a time, and another that uses a cellular phone battery and flashes 4 games at a time.

Sucks ma' cawk....

This is what we have all been waiting for, for a very long time. Get over there and add your input.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Go ahead and delete it. I didn't realize we were completely banning all posts related to multi carts and boots, since there seem to be so many.

It would be nice though if the community could have some say in this, and had a heads up.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
SSt7NMq.gif

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
comments I saw somewhere are very negative toward the battery type, something about charging every 2 days.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
not my call, and I wish that this project had a place here. It's not just about Bootlegging, otherwise CD to AES/MVS conversions would have been banned as well.

I have already spoken my peace about the reception of this, and its creator (all good things, I may add), but there are people that disagree with me and a load of other people so there's that.

I've cast my vote, and look forward to the finished project. Here's hoping that it comes in its own Repro Cardboard box, has its own repro label, Mini Marquee and Dipsheet.

and snaplock case if an AES version is made ;)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
In my view this project does have a place here also.

But just like the previous thread on this NeoGeo matter it would likely survive if the people involved in its making (and those on the outside with attidudes without understanding what's being brought up) treated people with respect instead of taking every little perceived negative (which it is not) like its the end of the world and a personal vendetta.

There is nothing wrong with questioning what the makers are saying this will be for the sake of clarity, so lets try again from Mitsus response and my original reply.

Mitsurugi-w said:
It hasn't been mentioned anywhere...well except by Raz here but it isn't true. It is being designed to play all original roms except the new Dev games since they didn't want to be involved. Works for us since we don't need to add the extra memory to run those games. (They have been very professional with us BTW) Not sure where Raz is getting his info but it obviously isn't from the only place that it's being posted now which is our site. Planning stage is wrapping up now. We are running polls to try to use the features that most users want. Some of the results are surprising but there are many ways we can go about this and we want to make the most people happy. Obviously some will not be satisfied and have already told us they won't buy one but I don't think there will be much problem moving the carts based on the excitement we are seeing.

If you want the real info about the project visit our site. Certainly want to limit the discussion here but did want all users to have their say in its design. The site address is mentioned at least twice in the last three pages so I won't promote it here again.

That would be very good to here if true and I will applaud you and darksoft if this is the case, I know the pitfalls however. So from your statement would you say then that potential buyers of this device should be expecting the device to play original games as the data is on the original cart with no patches being required in the program ROM space to make the game run or remove protections?

If you can confirm this for us now this point can be put to bed. If not then you can surely see why people will feel mislead by your statements of 'designed to play all original ROMs' cause your in the same boat as the multicarts.

I would also like to bring up homebrew games, in this case 'Knights Chance' by NeoBitz. In your forum darksoft made it clear he would not take any steps to protect Knights Chance from being loaded and played on this device. Do you share this same view and is this how your going to treat the NeoGeo homebrew scene if they are not NGDEV?

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The knights chance is a good point. I forgot about that game. But from my unferstanding its no longer in production. I wonder how kurtz feels about it.

If people want to play neo, there going to find a way. Emulators come to mind. I feel the people who truly love the neo (the community here), should be able to enjoy the games without all the shady ebay trabsactions. Pretty much every console has an everdrive now, and prices have not changed.they continue to rise. The shelf players wont stop buying neo anytime soon, in favor of a flash cart. Im sure they will find something wrong with it. Lets face it, the main fear here are the shelvies that think there garou is going to drop from $700 to $650.which is highly unlikely. And the people who make conversions.

Bit back to knights chance. Has kurtz commented? I obviously cant speak for him, but over the years he has done a lot for the community. I would think he cares for the community, and loves the neo. I wonder if he would even oppose. I would think not. But again i do not know.

Going into developing retro games for dead consoles, i would think one would take into account the possibility of a flash cart in the future. Especially after the everdrive boom. If anyone knew this was possible, i would think kurtz would have known this before almost everyone. Given his obvious background.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Go ahead and delete it. I didn't realize we were completely banning all posts related to multi carts and boots, since there seem to be so many.

It would be nice though if the community could have some say in this, and had a heads up.

It has nothing to do with being a multicart and everything to do with certain people hating Darksoft. Certain people need to get over it IMO.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It has nothing to do with being a multicart and everything to do with certain people hating Darksoft. Certain people need to get over it IMO.

Its posts like this that will probably end up getting this thread locked/moved to the war room again for being not only unhelpful but being far from reality at least from my mindset. You have your opinion and that's fine but lets keep this thread on the multislot device only and not what people think other peoples motives are. This way the thread will probably stay and end up being positive for everyone.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

It goes like this... if he handled things properly FIRST time... I would've been more inclined to go easy on him...

...Their arrogant blaise attitude to the site pisses me off... It's them saying "why respect anything that people achieved on NG.com... because we're THE BESTEST"

I've followed them on multiple forums and their attitude has sucked there as well... PERFECT example was the war room thread... that I thought was resolved...

Bumped it... instead of making a new thread in the tech/market/or general forums... because "Tak" said it was ok to keep posting on page 3...

WELL... here's the deal... I will NOT "get" over it... they play ball or I'll NOT be happy...

THIS thread can stay here...

xROTx

PS. As for some of you guys... I don't mind you stating what you think atm... but you need to start thinking about the place as whole and not your one vision of it...

EDIT: I have stated why things went the way they did before... I won't tolerate it happening again... play nice or I'll completely cauterize this project...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I think all parties would be best to just let it go. Mitsu and Dark should follow the requests that were laid down and keep it to the sections that they were told. Raz needs to stop acting so petty and jealous and find something more constructive to do with his time, cause he is tarnishing his reputation big time. If the lot of them had half a brain they would be working together on these products instead of fighting each other, cause his cart has potential to be a big seller.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Not much to add, but I would buy one for AES me thinks, and then pray that some day warlocks of fate gets dumped.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The ONLY reason this thread is still here is I feel this project would benefit the community...

...I have found the attitude and general bearing of these guys to be immature at best...

The guys who feel this project is beneficial for the site is the guys I am talking to NOW...

I UNDERSTAND where you are coming from... and appreciate you would like this to be made and a great tool for you all...

HOWEVER, I won't tolerate the sort of behaviour I have witnessed from them for the past 6-9 months... You guys better start just staying on topic with the project instead of worrying about ego's...

xROTx

PS. As for Raz... he's got concerns... and if it came down to it... I'd rather have those concerns addressed (as long as they are LEGITIMATE... ) as the way I SEE it... darksoft and mitsu are JUNIOR members and need to play safer....

EDIT: @:Mitsu... I will UNLOCK Darksoft and IDC's account... BUT I want a contract of behaviour from them... where you ALL stay on topic and address questions about this project both tech and moral...

For THAT agreement... I will leave you alone and let you advertise your site and project here... ANY concerns or questions you have... you may contact me DIRECTLY....

...You may reply if they agree in this thread...

Yoshi

20 Year Member
In the spirit of staying on topic, I voted for the single game load.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Lets hope that can happen Rot. My concerns at this point are only in relation to clarity on what Darksoft and Mitsurugi-w have stated about how it will work.

The current released neogeo multicarts do not use the original ROM data for many games held within them. They are patched to remove protections and in some cases do not use the official game release. Darksofts CPS3 / CPS2 solutions are the same in that they do not use the original ROM data. We all know this as its by design. Darksoft has said in the past the his neogeo multicart that's in development now will be better than the current multicarts because it will use the original game data. Mitsurugi-w has said the same thing, some clarification on what this means would be nice because it has implications in relation to mappers and such. I guess it can be broke down further as this issue will not affect every neogeo game, its only for the protected or protected and encrypted games. Which method will you (darksoft) follow?

- The ROM data on the SD card will be unaltered and fully encrypted as used in MAME. The multicart will decrypt the data on the SD card and will emulate protection so no patching of data before its flashed is needed.

- The ROM data on the SD card will be unaltered but in decrypted format. The multicart will emulate protection so no patching of data before its flashed is needed.

- The ROM data on the SD card will be patched and decrypted. The multicart will not emulate any protections, the game is altered to work within the design of the multicart.

Also, what does this mean for a single game that has an encrypted version with protection, another encrypted version with a different protection and a decrypted version. Will your flash cart support all three revisions of the game given it falls within the 'play all original roms' context ?

I guess it comes down to weather your flashcart support the full available original ROMs library or only cover the full official neogeo game library with some games being limited to a set version or prototype version only.

If anyone is interested out of the 2 options put forward for the device I would choose option 1 but in my heart I think the best way is somewhere between both designs put forward.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Lets hope that can happen Rot. My concerns at this point are only in relation to clarity on what Darksoft and Mitsurugi-w have stated about how it will work.

The current released neogeo multicarts do not use the original ROM data for many games held within them. They are patched to remove protections and in some cases do not use the official game release. Darksofts CPS3 / CPS2 solutions are the same in that they do not use the original ROM data. We all know this as its by design. Darksoft has said in the past the his neogeo multicart that's in development now will be better than the current multicarts because it will use the original game data. Mitsurugi-w has said the same thing, some clarification on what this means would be nice because it has implications in relation to mappers and such. I guess it can be broke down further as this issue will not affect every neogeo game, its only for the protected or protected and encrypted games. Which method will you (darksoft) follow?

- The ROM data on the SD card will be unaltered and fully encrypted as used in MAME. The multicart will decrypt the data on the SD card and will emulate protection so no patching of data before its flashed is needed.

- The ROM data on the SD card will be unaltered but in decrypted format. The multicart will emulate protection so no patching of data before its flashed is needed.

- The ROM data on the SD card will be patched and decrypted. The multicart will not emulate any protections, the game is altered to work within the design of the multicart.

Also, what does this mean for a single game that has an encrypted version with protection, another encrypted version with a different protection and a decrypted version. Will your flash cart support all three revisions of the game given it falls within the 'play all original roms' context ?

I guess it comes down to weather your flashcart support the full available original ROMs library or only cover the full official neogeo game library with some games being limited to a set version or prototype version only.

If anyone is interested out of the 2 options put forward for the device I would choose option 1 but in my heart I think the best way is somewhere between both designs put forward.

So much butthurt. With every long winded post like this you continue to toss your reputation into the toilet. Who gives a flying fuck if it has to play altered roms? As long as it's easy for the end user to obtain and the games play exactly like a real cart no one is going to care.

Edit

Instead of continuing to point out the "flaws" in public, maybe you should attempt to reach out the the developers and open a dialog with them instead of attempting to drag them through the mud. In the same respect, maybe they will act a bit more mature this time too. This is getting ridiculous.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
So much butthurt. With every long winded post like this you continue to toss your reputation into the toilet. Who gives a flying fuck if it has to play altered roms? As long as it's easy for the end user to obtain and the games play exactly like a real cart no one is going to care.

DZ... you're not helping the situ atm...

The ONLY person I want to see posting will be Mitsu and people who will keep this on topic...

Mitsu because I need to know if they're finally going to play ball... the lads for REAL tech questions...

I had ALREADY stated I don't mind Raz asking his quetions that he feels strongly enough to post... I'd like the question answered...

xROTx

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
DZ... you're not helping the situ atm...

The ONLY person I want to see posting will be Mitsu and people who will keep this on topic...

Mitsu because I need to know if they're finally going to play ball... the lads for REAL tech questions...

I had ALREADY stated I don't mind Raz asking his quetions that he feels strongly enough to post... I'd like the question answered...

xROTx

Fair enough. I'm putting him on ignore and this is the last thing I'll say about it Rot. Just keep in mind you just made a post about double standards in the market going away...this is the same stuff.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Fair enough. I'm putting him on ignore and this is the last thing I'll say about it Rot. Just keep in mind you just made a post about double standards in the market going away...this is the same stuff.

Link to the post please... I will review it...

My MAIN aim here DZ pal... is to stop the complete fuckfest from LAST TIME happening again...

I have "tweaked" my approach on the market forums to accomodate a more lenient approach to certain things.... and I have also changed my approach concerning this project and the people involved...

The olive branch is OUT there... as stated I will re-instate all accounts affected last time... as long as they work in the parameters I have set out... which I feel is fair enough man...

xROTx

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Sweet buttery Jesus people, lets just keep it to technical discussion and stop being so emotional and personal with each other. We can all benefit from this as a community, and it would be to our benefit if we can provide constructive feedback and suggestions to them either here or there. Razoola's comments are especially worthwhile because he's knows his shit, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with him.

At any rate, for the poll I voted for option 1. Using FPGA to have drastically faster loading times, having a battery to store the games in memory for two days, and having a faux multi-cart experience for those who use AES or CMVS systems seems to be the most appealing option for me, even if its pricier.

Status
Not open for further replies.