NGPC LED Frontlight. There a Demand?

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was asking someone at http://handheldlegend.com/ about making an LED Frontlight for the NGPC. Since he makes backlights for gameboy and front lights for the GBC etc...

He said he could but is unsure of the demand.
So I figured I'd post this here and see what people thought.

So what do people think?

Would you buy one?

I'd probably buy 2 to start.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If he could make one worth a damn, sure. The current method of throwing a SP light in a NGPC sucks balls.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I like front lights and all, but backlit lcds curb stomp front lit ones. So I guess I'd rather have that. If front lit is all I could ever get, I suppose I'd be down for one. I've never done mine for the same reason GohanX stated.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I like front lights and all, but backlit lcds curb stomp front lit ones. So I guess I'd rather have that. If front lit is all I could ever get, I suppose I'd be down for one. I've never done mine for the same reason GohanX stated.

You can't backlight a reflective TFT LCD.

I'd be interested in a kit that was made properly, covered the entire viewing area and wasn't invasive(very easy to install). I'd also love an NGPC to TV converter that plugs into an AES/MVS.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I probably wasn't clear when I typed it, but I already know that. What I meant was a new lcd that was backlit, not to back light the stock lcd.

Edit- A cartridge converter for the TV that plugged into my AES would be pretty badass.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I probably wasn't clear when I typed it, but I already know that. What I meant was a new lcd that was backlit, not to back light the stock lcd.

I would say that was impossible, but someone did it with the Lynx so I suppose anything's possible if someone's willing to make it!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Edit- A cartridge converter for the TV that plugged into my AES would be pretty badass.

Ah I see, that would be better since the stock LCD is so hard to see without a front light even in a well lit room.

I would say that was impossible, but someone did it with the Lynx so I suppose anything's possible if someone's willing to make it!

Hopefully someone can.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent

Yeah this would be my choice as well. The light mod labor is pretty crappy as well for front lit.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
there is a demand.
I modded mine with the gameboy SP route. It's better than no light at all, but it could use a brightness slider.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I would absolutely love a lit screen in my NGPC, whether that be a frontlight kit, or a drop-in replacement screen that was back-lit. But as XX said, it would have to be non-invasive, meaning that I wouldn't be willing to damage/permanently alter the guts of my system.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah this would be my choice as well. The light mod labor is pretty crappy as well for front lit.

There's a more advanced way to install the front light, the guide is just so people get the gist of the how to basis. I usually cut the front light screen to fit within the screen area so I don't have to remove the walls. but cutting the light screen can be very difficult if not done correctly.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I like mine stock... it's great in daylight, especially in the sun. When it's darker I just sit near a lamp. Not big enough of a deal to have it modded and I find the colors wash out with a front light.

Shin Tin

n00b
Would love a proper frontlight NGPC, sick of having to angle-bust the light sources in my dingey light cave of a flat. Been toying with the idea of using the current frontlight mod tech but dont fancy risking my only NGPC at the minute.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One method of lighting I've found that works very well with the NGPC is to us a tall floor lamp such at this:

eldshult-floor-lamp__0169818_PE325167_S4.JPG

And remove the lampshade. It provides a lot of light beneath it without glare on the screen.

Shin Tin

n00b
I like the lamp idea but prefer a more portable option, even works when your on the "pot"

6lxw2JE.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I loved the NGPC, but the screen was a big flaw for me. I can't do non-lit screens anymore, and so I sold off the NGPC and some games. If there was a properly backlit one, i'd jump in a heartbeat.

Shin Tin

n00b
Hi, thanks for the encouragement to stay.

Defo want to stick around, like the vibe in here, Neo Geo, tough love and taking the piss out of each other. I'm from the west coast of Scotland where insults are a form of affection, if your not having the piss taken out of you then your not liked ;).

Got my wee NGPC collection hence why I'd love to frontlight mine but also wanting to get an AES, sold mine when I was skint and been choking for a game of Thrash Rally ever since.

Once my uni exams are over in a couple of weeks I'll dig out my girlfriends old NGPC and attempt a frontlight mod on it since it's been up her parents loft for years and she never plays it.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
I'd be more than willing to buy a complete drop in replacement screen that's backlit or a front light setup. Don't care about hacking apart my NGPC. I don't own it to collect it, i wanna play it!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd be more than willing to buy a complete drop in replacement screen that's backlit

oh yeah... something like McWill did for the Lynx & Game Gear would be wonderful for the NGPC. But the system is kinda niche.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the lamp idea but prefer a more portable option, even works when your on the "pot"

View attachment 32067

That's me but usually playing card fighters or turfies, tetris...or game & watch...don't touch my handhelds, lol.

As for the frontlit/backlit. I got one from XX and I'm glad I got it, playing it at night in bed while the GF sleeps is awesome when I can't seem to fall back to sleep and it happens a lot...

I do however agree that the colors wash out, luckily this isn't my only NGPC so I have a stock one for those lamp sessions or I take it with me when I'm actually feeling brave enough to go outside and play under the daylight...aarrgghh, jk.