Metal Slug 3 MVS ... is this right?

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Just picked up a Metal Slug 3 MVS Cart, I checked MVS Scans and the date on the one board is off. Otherwise it looks ok, I think?

Also any input on whats going on with the end of the board on the 1994 dated board ? Looks like its missing some gold plate like some one maybe used to strong a grit of sandpaper to clean it, is that safe / ok for the longevity of it?

I paid enough for this thinking it was all legit and just want to make sure it is... cause Im not feeling too good about my purchase right now.

Heres some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1784.JPG
    IMG_1784.JPG
    617 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1786.JPG
    IMG_1786.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    640.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    621.1 KB · Views: 121

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Looks original to me. Mask ROMs with the correct game code. It also looks like set 3 from MVS-Scans, just the date code of the PROGBK1 board is different. That stuff looks like dirt. Some contact cleaner or an eraser should clean it off.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
I thought so too but the date is what had me a bit concerned.

Someone deff. sanded it, I just noticed the little black piece of plastic that goes in between the boards is scuffed up too. But I will try what you said hopefully it cleans it up!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
ahhh, I wanted to guess corrosion damage.
not checking scans or pretending expert so no opinion on originality.at least you have a positive remark so far.
does it boot??

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
the boards and roms are legit. Worst case you have a transplant of legit roms to a legit SNK board but the soldering looks good enough that I would doubt that.

Given someone already roughed up the contacts I'd clean with deoxit.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Well I took pulstar's advice and cleaned the contacts with a eraser and all the black came off. Looks ALOT better now, Gold like it should be.

Karou - Not sure it Just came in the mail today I didnt even try to play it yet.

Skate - Thanks for the input. FWIW in person even compared to my other mvs carts that I know are 100% legit I see nothing wrong at all and all the soldering looks factory. Its just that date. Since there is 4 board possibilities already known, is it possible theres a varation of one of them or a 5th one now?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Basically what matters is they're legit mask roms (not eproms) on SNK PCBs. You have a PROGBK1 and CHAFIO board, which matches set 3 on mvs scans. The dates could be from different runs of those particular PCBS (I'm not 100% on this), but the actual PCBs themselves and roms are what they should be.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Basically what matters is they're legit mask roms (not eproms) on SNK PCBs. You have a PROGBK1 and CHAFIO board, which matches set 3 on mvs scans. The dates could be from different runs of those particular PCBS (I'm not 100% on this), but the actual PCBs themselves and roms are what they should be.

Gotcha, Thanks for the input! Deff makes me feel better. Im not ultra anal but I like to have the legit original games for some reason, esp. if thats what I was sold / paid for so I had to ask on here

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yep, it's too legit to quit. I wouldn't worry about the date on the PCB, they probably just had some leftover or something. There are plenty of little oddities in the Neo Geo world. Like why are so many Drift Out labels on upside down? It's all part of the magic that was SNK.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Yep, it's too legit to quit. I wouldn't worry about the date on the PCB, they probably just had some leftover or something. There are plenty of little oddities in the Neo Geo world. Like why are so many Drift Out labels on upside down? It's all part of the magic that was SNK.

Nice lol

See thats why I love this forum. As much newb hate as there can be, if you are serious about collecting neo geo anything, its a must to be on here. Between the help on this post and a display question I had the knowledge on here is uber helpful. And even though Im late to the party, Im glad Im here finally

Guess now its time to make sure it works

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Nice lol

See thats why I love this forum. As much newb hate as there can be, if you are serious about collecting neo geo anything, its a must to be on here. Between the help on this post and a display question I had the knowledge on here is uber helpful. And even though Im late to the party, Im glad Im here finally

Guess now its time to make sure it works

We don't necessarily hate noobs, just noobs who ask dumbass shit or act like bloodycelt. Also, you really don't need to fully open up MVS carts to tell if they're legit. If you do, only open the case far enough to get the boards out and you'll avoid creasing the label. Takes a little practice to get them back in, but you'll get the hang of it.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
We don't necessarily hate noobs, just noobs who ask dumbass shit or act like bloodycelt. Also, you really don't need to fully open up MVS carts to tell if they're legit. If you do, only open the case far enough to get the boards out and you'll avoid creasing the label. Takes a little practice to get them back in, but you'll get the hang of it.

Unfortunately it came with the crease :( I only open as far as I have to and when I open them I put something behind the cart case so it cant completely flip open, just in case. I do have newb issues getting it all back in though...takes me a bit lol