Looking for better picture from CDZ, would this work?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
audio buzz is a "flaw" that everyone should avoid.

Nothing more annoying that having that shit pierce your ears like a pesky mosquito every time the screen gets too bright.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Could the superior video hardware you speak of that the CD system uses be transplanted or adapted for use in an AES or MVS system?

The second gen aes already has the important pieces already which is why the composite video is better. You would just need to upgrade the encoder to a cxa1645 to match what the cd has.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
FWIW I've used that guy's SNES scart cable. I've used half a dozen cables from a variety of vendors, and it's the only one that has zero buzz in the audio line for me. Well worth the price, even if it's high.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I'd like to chime in that I really like the look of my top loader neo cd picture through S-video to my CRT as other people have stated. To me it looks really sharp and colorful.

Question, would there be a definite benefit in picture quality using this setup of Scart --->component for Sega Saturn over S-video?

I'd like to get the best picture possible in this price range for my AES and Saturn, maybe as a "gateway drug" to the Framemeiseter.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, but it's kind of the same deal. Svideo on the Saturn is pretty damn good, so component isn't a huge step up. More vibrant colors, mostly, the Saturn's RGB is excellent.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
When I moved from Saturn s-video to RGB via the CVS287, it blew me away. The difference via CRT is nice but if you're outputting to an HDTV, it's night and day.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, svideo is usually garbage on hd sets if they even have them

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah, I do however don't mind Saturn S-Video on an old Bravia 60Hz, the pic is clean enough, it could be cleaner though, that's when the component treatment pays off but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I played Rayforce like that for while, didn't bother and I'm a picky bastard.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
The quality of the filters in your TV set have a big influence on the quality of S-Video and even Composite picture quality.

If your set has a stellar 3D adaptive comb filter, you can get an excellent picture.

I have a Sony PVM 20m2mdu, and even my NES on composite with the right settings looks brilliantly clear and sharp, but the color is a little muddled compared to RGB, and whites have more clearly defined edges.

My Panasonic Viera Plasma is another story.
The filter in that is pretty standard, and you can see the artifacts and blurry edges where the colors bleed into each other, even over S-Video.

It's a mess.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Funny you say that, I think composite on my 20m2mdu looks like shit! I honestly thing there's something wrong with it, like some kind of adjustment in the service menu or something. Svideo is a million times better on the thing, and it really shouldn't be.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Funny you say that, I think composite on my 20m2mdu looks like shit! I honestly thing there's something wrong with it, like some kind of adjustment in the service menu or something. Svideo is a million times better on the thing, and it really shouldn't be.

Composite in general looks like ass but the quality of the comb filter does make room for improvement. Composite is one of those things would be "good enough" if people have never been exposed to the higher quality signal options. I used to think s-video was the best thing since sliced bread and questioned why people kept raving about rgb until I got a pvm and tried it for myself. Without a visual demonstration on the clarity that component or rgb provides, it's hard to get people to make the jump on blind faith alone.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Well looks like a PVM will have to hold off, the one I was watching in a size Id like just sold on auction for $511 + hefty shipping. I haven't seen the difference in person yet, and kinda hope I dont for a while. The composite on the sharp crt I dumpster picked looks way better than my current crt Ive been gaming with for the past 6 or so years. So if anything Im going to explore the S-Video route on the sharp for the CDZ and my saturn too and eventually pick up that scart convertor plus some the "really" good scart cables for everything else.

Thanks everyone for all the input

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!

Settings and tube age matter to some degree on that.
My 20m2mdu was bought straight from a medical surplus seller, so it was configured for endoscopy work and has probably less than 500 hours on it.

They actually configured the Input A and B buttons to be ideal for Composite and S-Video respectively.

It's not perfect, but the composite on the 20m2mdu looks better than S-Video on my modern-ish plasma. Most modern TVs just suck ass at handling composite and Y/C signals.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I bought mine from a panda, so it probably had bamboo shoved in it at some point.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
My cdz has one of the cleanest pictures i've ever scene via its svideo. I cant really see needing anything better.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
I just wanted to follow up real quick. I did hook up via S-video and wow, everyone was right it looks great. I did end up getting the scart to component converter as well as cables for my AES and 32x and Master system. Video quality wise I cant tell them apart. If im bored one of these days I'll use the AES scart cable on the CDZ and see if there is any difference at all. But if there is any Im assuming its going to be ultra minimal.

A little OT but maybe someone can help me out? I bought all 3 scart cables from retro_console_accessories. The 32x and AES work great but the Master System 1 cable is giving me faint vertical lines. Oddly on a genesis 1, it does not. The seller isnt sure what to say since it is a csync cable and that should address any issues...any thoughts?